Renewing Bangkok Bank debit card with visa exempt status

3 hours ago, couchpotato said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The bank won't care as long as your VE status is still valid, they do usually check.

Think you are incorrect here. To obtain new debit card is an easy process with just passbook, passport and old card.  Banks are not interested in Visa status for any transactions after you have initially opened an account.

No, I'm not incorrect.  When banks require sight of the passport they take a copy and also check the visa status; try to get any kind of bank transaction done if you present a PP with an expired visa/extension even if it's just a couple of days and see what the reaction is...I know from personal experience.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 3:11 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I'm not incorrect.  When banks require sight of the passport they take a copy and also check the visa status; try to get any kind of bank transaction done if you present a PP with an expired visa/extension even if it's just a couple of days and see what the reaction is...I know from personal experience.

This is my experience too.  They have almost consistently taken a copy of my then-valid extension and/or last entry stamp in addition to the photo/data page 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this helps since different bank (Kasikorn), but I am in the same situation and I got an email from Kasikorn Bank customer support after requesting how I should get a new ATM since my existing one had expired.

"According to your enquiry regarding to renew debit card, in this case, you can bring original passport and passbook contact any Kasikornbank branch in order to re-issue the new debit card with our staff directly."

There is no mention of Visa status in the response, but I also never asked.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, spambot said:

Not sure if this helps since different bank (Kasikorn), but I am in the same situation and I got an email from Kasikorn Bank customer support after requesting how I should get a new ATM since my existing one had expired.

"According to your enquiry regarding to renew debit card, in this case, you can bring original passport and passbook contact any Kasikornbank branch in order to re-issue the new debit card with our staff directly."

There is no mention of Visa status in the response, but I also never asked.

Surely your passport would indicate your visa status would it not?

11 minutes ago, spambot said:

It would also identify who I am.

Yes, but the point I was making was in regard to needing to show your legal permission to stay.  My point was if you are handed someone's passport it's not difficult to determine whether that person has legal permission to stay.  If showing legal permission to stay were a requirement it would be met simply by handing over your passport, there would be no need to ask for any other documentation to satisfy this requirement.  

Yes - I get your point, but sometimes the obvious is much more likely.

i.e just because its possible doesn't make it actual.

I recently had to provide copy of my passport to a UK bank and while they might check my Visa status in Thailand, they are extremely unlikely to do so.

I am not arguing one way or the other  - I have no idea if the Visa is checked.

I am providing what I though might be useful information for others to make up their own mind - On the basis of probability.

BKK bank has never looked at my visa or extension for New bank book, Debit Card, In bank withdrawals or transfers. The scan the bank book to make sure signature matches passport…

Edited by DJ54
Visa / Extension