Bangkok Train Station! ???

ThoMichael

I had an appointment at Thai Immigration today, first to do a 30 day extension at LakSi Imm and next to change to a Non-O at the Div-1 complex. I decided to take the train because it goes directly to LaSi station and I am staying close to the train station. I left 2 hours early. Boarding time was around 10 minutes after train was supposed to depart, then the train sat for 40 minutes, and I started realize I was going to miss my appointment since the train was leaving an hour late. So I asked one of the guys when we were leaving, he said the Train has no engine??? — so they just let people sit there for an hour and don’t tell anyone that the train is going nowhere!!!

I saw there were trains departing on other tracks. So I took it upon myself to find one that stops at LatSi station. I found an express, and they said that it would arrive at around 10 minutes before my appointment at the LaKSi Imm. Shortly after that train started to move, it stopped at sat for around 20 minutes. So I ended up 3 minutes late for my appointment, and the Thai Imm said sorry, my appointment was canceled. I will have to get a number and wait. Luckily it was not crowded at all and Imm staff me processed quickly, else I would have missed my 2nd appointment for my Non-O visa.

So what I learned is, if I want to take a short train ride from the Bangkok train station, better leave 3 hours early if I want to get to my destination on time. But nope, I will just take the BTS Skytrain instead, like I should have in the first place.

ps: I have lived in many countries and Thailand is the best, and I am grateful to be here most of the time. Just frustrating sometimes.

Edited by ThoMichael
  • Haha 2

Over the years, I've tried every method to get to immigration. I've done:

-taxi

-riverboat + taxi

-riverboat + walk + old skool train + taxi

-mrt + bts + songthaew 

-river ferry+ bus + bus + songthaew

-bus+bus

And on and on. They vary in costs (the old train costs around 5 baht) and in time. And none are ideal. But now the BTS extension makes a big difference. 

I'm interested in the redline trains and the new MRT line being built next to Immigration. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What do you mean "decided to take the train.

I assume combo BTS and MRT? 

He meant the old-skool train, SRT, run on diesel.

That one has a train station at Laksi.

I can't figure out whether he was trying to depart from Hualamphong or from Bang Sue. Sounds like Bang Sue.

6 minutes ago, Lorry said:

He meant the old-skool train, SRT, run on diesel.

That one has a train station at Laksi.

I can't figure out whether he was trying to depart from Hualamphong or from Bang Sue. Sounds like Bang Sue.

Bang Sue also has red line train, which has Laksi stop as well...

12 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Bang Sue also has red line train, which has Laksi stop as well...

He took an express train in the end,  so he isn't talking about the red line system, which runs on different tracks,  he is really talking about old-skool train

• Like 1

Had nothing to do with saving 50 baht, or whatever it would be... ???? 

Yeah, it was the old school train. It is a direct line from Hua Lamphong to LakSi. Taking the MRT you have to change from red train to blue line, so taking one train just sounded fine to me. I just like old trains. I once took the old train from Saigon to Hanoi Vietnam. Not a single foreigner on the train, but I liked it. 

Have a good night. 

10 minutes ago, ThoMichael said:

Yeah, it was the old school train. It is a direct line from Hua Lamphong to LakSi. Taking the MRT you have to change from red train to blue line, so taking one train just sounded fine to me. I just like old trains. I once took the old train from Saigon to Hanoi Vietnam. Not a single foreigner on the train, but I liked it. 

Have a good night. 

So now you have learned what is the norm when trains "depart" from Hualamphong.

I like old trains, too - if i have time. 

On 11/8/2022 at 11:02 PM, ThoMichael said:

Have a good night. 

I can understand you wanting to take one of the diesel commuter services from HL to Laksi. Not that I'd do it myself for this trip. However, I think the lesson here as with most trips in BKK is to always have a Plan B. At a certain point (after15mins waiting?) I would have ditched the SRT commuter train and just used the MRT Blue Line and SRT Dark Red line to Laksi. 

The 40 mins that you spent waiting on the train is nearly the total trip time from HL to Laksi. Alternatively, MRT to Chatuchack station and then a bus straight north up Vihavadi-Rangsit rd would actually be quicker.

Posting the network map for those who might be unsure of the SRT Dark Red line route and how to connect. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

oh, from Bangkok as in Hua Lumphong station, Didn't know they still stop at Lak Si, since the Red line opened many stations are just red line only now

a sensible option would be the MRT to Bang Sue and Red Line

SRT trains do get stuck in Bangkok traffic at the many level crossing out of Bangkok a lot, especially during rush hour

• Like 1