Cabinet endorses withdrawal of controversial foreign land-ownership edict

webfact

Maybe the first step is to figure out what a 'resident' is.

Many here 'think' they are expats, yet that 90 day thing should remind you that you are nothing more than a tourist on an extended visa.

Now contrast that to most farang countries where your wife holds essentially the same rights as you up to the point of voting.

I went into my Thai adventure accepting all of that, and I knew when we built a house my claims on it were zero.

Here in the US Mrs G is on the title deed of our home regardless of her nationality.

Now she's not some oligarch investing in property in New York or London to stash money, we're just regular folks.

So the Thai's need to figure out this tug of war in their heads about what a farang in Thailand 'is' then stupid stuff like land ownership will fall into place

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Of courses.  They love it when you come and spend big money for a few weeks but in reality, they don't want you to stay and especially not own their precious land.

Exactly- can you imagine if the British government suddenly decided that Thais , etc can no longer buy and own land in the uk ?!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe the first step is to figure out what a 'resident' is.

Many here 'think' they are expats, yet that 90 day thing should remind you that you are nothing more than a tourist on an extended visa.

Now contrast that to most farang countries where your wife holds essentially the same rights as you up to the point of voting.

I went into my Thai adventure accepting all of that, and I knew when we built a house my claims on it were zero.

Here in the US Mrs G is on the title deed of our home regardless of her nationality.

Now she's not some oligarch investing in property in New York or London to stash money, we're just regular folks.

So the Thai's need to figure out this tug of war in their heads about what a farang in Thailand 'is' then stupid stuff like land ownership will fall into place

You speak the empirical truth, but its never gonna happen in Thailand?

8 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Theses idiots have ended up with a lot of egg on their faces they try to run before they have learned to walk . Only an idiot of a foreigner would invest huge amounts of money by buying government bonds in order to buy and own 1,600 square metre of land millionaires and billionaires don’t invest in the likes of a county like Thailand there are far better countries that offer far better deals to attract investors 

Which give rise to the question of why Tesco pulled out of Thailand?

10 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

You speak the empirical truth, but its never gonna happen in Thailand?

Well that is true.

Unlike the newbies anyone who has spent any decent time in the Kingdom understands the reality of life in Thailand.

Normal debate which you might expect in farang land just ain't gonna happen.

Can't see any fundamental changes in my remaining lifetime

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:01 PM, webfact said:

The Thai cabinet approved the Interior Ministry’s withdrawal of the ministerial edict on foreign land-ownership for reconsideration today (Tuesday), following widespread opposition to the plan....

This obviously means that the Ministerial Regulation issued in 2002 (or was it 2003) under the authority of section 96 bis of the Land Code Act outlining the conditions for land ownership by foreigners remains in force unchanged.

Does anybody have a link to that Ministerial Regulation?

Edited by Puccini
corrected a typing error

19 hours ago, khunjeff said:

As many have learned to their detriment, "they" aren't buying property "through" their wives, they are using their money to pay for their wife's property - that distinction seems irrelevant as long as the relationship is going well, but suddenly becomes very important if it goes bad. 

After 30 years, do you think I should be worried??? ????

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

After 30 years, do you think I should be worried??? ????

Well nobody is worried, until they are worried.

I've know marriages fail at 12 months and 40 years.

I've been with Mrs G 20+ years, and while I believe we're solid I don't delude myself that our Thai assets, ie house are 100% hers, our US assets are 50:50% should things go south