Good news for Expats: New visa extensions online will take only three minutes - first for Thailand

6 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

Yeah sure.  Anyone think they have the IT people who can put this together anytime soon?  The 90 day report took years and I'm not sure it is working on a regular basis even now.

Ever thought about actually finding out whether the online 90-day reporting is working or not properly before you spread your negativity?

I can tell you it works perfectly for me, and I get notification within 24 hours... 

7 hours ago, MickTurator said:

So an extension based on retirement is not covered with this new online service.

So, it looks like being married to a Thai woman for 16 year fails to meets the criterion either. 

Remember - A foreign man married to a Thai woman... and with children to boot? 
You're only a temporary visitor farang.  You've been gaming the system for 15 years farang - we'll get you this year for your criminality.   No better than Al Bundy baby.  We'll kick you out at our convenience.

A foreign woman married to a Thai man - you're golden sweet woman and the heart of a lotus flower of all Thai families!  Citizenship coming up...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that is extensions for family members of a person that has permanent residency.

Those of us with families and married to a Thai woman are essentially dog meat.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another great opportunity for Thaivisa whingers to rant and speculate negatively about something that is a positive improvement.   Go for it, fill yer boots!

You still have to go to the office in chaeng wattana- wheres the improvements? Fact -not whingeing about whingers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm wondering if the extra fees go to some sub contractor who developed and or is running the website? Common in USA.  Example is Utah hunt draw system. 5$ fee per .

3 million additional profit is pretty nice bonus for someone.   Reduced paper and labor costs .  Is an improvement concept but I will still bash Thailand.   It must be related to Apex. 

7 hours ago, In the jungle said:

If decisions are made within three minutes why are there fees for "express service" and "super urgent service"?

It doesn't say decisions will be made in three minutes, it says that the application time will be three minutes.

They're talking about how long it takes to submit the application online, not how long it takes to be approved.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the new process will reduce application process times from one hour to three minutes

One hour, currently?

Truth is that (without bribing an officer to get fast-tracked) one usually spends about six hours at the IO to get one's extension. ????

must still show up in person to verify their identity and get a visa sticker at the main IB office

Since when are stickers issued for visa extensions? Currently there are outdated stamps with a signature and legible handwriting about the type of extension.

Edited by Morakot

In jomtien it takes me 30 minutes to extend my tourist visa. The office next to the immigration office fills up my form, takes pictures and make copies of all necessary documents for 200 baht. I then go and take a ticket and wait. Of course, the wait time may be different depending on the number of people waiting. But never more than 2 hours. Why somebody will pay 500 baht for e-Visa processing fees? Wait for 1-7 day blah blah blah....

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, damo1967 said:

Ever thought about actually finding out whether the online 90-day reporting is working or not properly before you spread your negativity?

I can tell you it works perfectly for me, and I get notification within 24 hours... 

Yes, for me it works perfect too , 5 times already notification in a few hours ( more or less 5 hours  ) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It sounds more like it's going to make things easier for immigration officers and increase their income.

The fees (except extension fees 1900) will be taken by the VFS visa services. I don't like VFS visa services. Heard all the horrible things about them. Glad USA does not use them. 

2 hours ago, Graham8888 said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another great opportunity for Thaivisa whingers to rant and speculate negatively about something that is a positive improvement.   Go for it, fill yer boots!

You still have to go to the office in chaeng wattana- wheres the improvements? Fact -not whingeing about whingers 

If applications can be completed in a much shorter time period isn't that an improvement?   If it is, the whingers are whinging...fact.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

As so often, a great idea in principle, but ruined by a horrible implementation.

Express fees if you don't want to wait 7 business days (almost two weeks).

And the icing on the cake, once approved, you still have to travel all the way to immigration. I wouldn't call that "online".

What does " in the future " mean in Thailand? 
The article says that all IM offices will offer this " in the future ".  So for now all the tourists who usually arrive in BKK now have to go back to BKK a week or so before their 45 days is up ( or their 60 day visa is almost up) to get this express service , so now a simple extension will be at least 2,400 baht. Then all new visitors and even many returning ones will find out that Bangkok Immigration is not even close to ANY tourist or central area in Bangkok and arrange transport there. It's easier to stay in Phuket ( I just walked 5 minutes from my hotel to Phuket Immigration right near the beach last April ) or Hua Hin or somewhere and get TM 30 copy from hotel and take your application and picture to local IM office hand in , wait and pick up passport 45 min to 60 min later. Oh yah they will never tell you Bangkok Immigration and others all close for an entire hour everyday for lunch. They still haven't figured out staggering lunch hours to prevent this and speed things up.  I will def pass on this glorious opportunity.  

Edited by alex8912

47 minutes ago, Caldera said:

As so often, a great idea in principle, but ruined by a horrible implementation.

Express fees if you don't want to wait 7 business days (almost two weeks).

And the icing on the cake, once approved, you still have to travel all the way to immigration. I wouldn't call that "online".

Where did you see this 7 day waiting period? 

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

About as much use to the vast majority of expats living here as the foreign land ownership scheme was.

Correct!

Especially since as mentioned by several others above... absolutely NO INDICATION that this new online service is available for either retirement or marriage extension holders,  which I assume are the majority of long-stay types.

But if I worked for a local foreign embassy or was a news media reporter, I guess I'd be happy.... :--