Good news for Expats: New visa extensions online will take only three minutes - first for Thailand

As other posters have noted, retirement extensions not included.

I think I would do my retirement extensions the old way anyway, until such time as others gave feedback on whether the system was a clusterf##k, or successful. I don't see any reason to be a lab rat.

• Like 2

So as most of us are on retirement/marriage extensions it seems, this is just a load of bolocs. I can just imagine trying to upload 6 photos and 13 other documents. I can remember their other useless sites, when trying to upload just passport details for the covid jabs it just didn't work (outside BKK).

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

so… a lot longer than 3 mins then..,

It sound like it will be an extension of the appointment system - so you probably submit stuff via the website and turn up to immigration at an allotted time and get stamped.  So, yes, it will be quicker than just rocking up

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

Yeah sure.  Anyone think they have the IT people who can put this together anytime soon?  The 90 day report took years and I'm not sure it is working on a regular basis even now.

They are using VFS Global which is known for outsourced visa applications, used by dozens of countries. Of course the weakest link in the system will be the locals working over here.????

15 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another great opportunity for Thaivisa whingers to rant and speculate negatively about something that is a positive improvement.   Go for it, fill yer boots!

Yet you are happy to speculate that this will be ' a positive improvement ' , hypocrisy in a nutshell.

Until proven otherwise, it is a positive improvement, no hypocrisy at all and I'm not ranting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MickTurator said:

So an extension based on retirement is not covered with this new online service.

And does an extension based on marriage to a Thai national come under the banner of "resident families" 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Another great opportunity for Thaivisa whingers to rant and speculate negatively about something that is a positive improvement.   Go for it, fill yer boots!

Exactly, there is no pleasing some people.

If this system keeps visa agents, with their bundles of passports, out of the immigration offices I am all for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone needs to tell these Immigration guys their stopwatch is screwed up….

…. these are the same clowns who told they are processing passengers at at rate of 45 second per arrival. 

Actually I did get processed in about 45 sec at Don Mueang a couple of days ago. Only 2 people ahead of me, so breezed through immigration in a couple of minutes. Even faster in August at suvarnabhumi A far cry from the long lines in Pre-Covid , when IOs were also scrutinizing your passports for minutes. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone needs to tell these Immigration guys their stopwatch is screwed up….

…. these are the same clowns who told they are processing passengers at at rate of 45 second per arrival. 

You mean seconds and minutes are not the same????

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

They are using VFS Global which is known for outsourced visa applications, used by dozens of countries. Of course the weakest link in the system will be the locals working over here.????

VFS have had offices in Bangkok for about 15 years. You would be wrong to suggest they are a weak link, that would imply some sort of joined up arrangement.

So it takes 3 minutes. Except unlike as suggested in the headline, it’s not up and running yet. And the 3 minutes doesn’t include going to an immigration office to verify identity and get a stamp. So it’s not going to be 3 minutes in reality.

give them credit for trying and minus points for overselling?

• Like 1

I realize I'm just joining the whingers but aside from the fact marriage, retirement are not included - the process seems more convoluted, more time consuming and costs approximately 25% more.

It might be a good thing for schools but there are lots of complications with teacher visas and extensions. I've never met a teacher (BKK) who knew anything about the extension process really.

Who dreams this stupidity up? Like someone stated it's an income stream. On their end it might be more efficient but I don't think that matters to immigration. Efficiency.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, redsongthaew said:

So the OP states there are 200,000 of these types of visa issued per year in Bangkok.

Each applicant must pay 500 baht.

That is 100 million baht per year incone for VFS for providing an online only service..

It's not quite online only.  You still have to go into the office to show your ID and get your passport stamped.

How about modernising the Tm30 system; its almost unusable and we have given up and just go to a police station instead. That is the report where you are staying in 24 hours process, which you need to do if you stay at your Thai wifes house (and not a hotel, etc, where they do it for you).

Edited by MaiChai
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

so… a lot longer than 3 mins then..,

These things are invariably confusing and mixed up, as are the immigration employees. I expect it will get sorted eventually. Perhaps it has simply eliminated a few steps, and so any improvement is better than none. 

17 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

How about modernising the Tm30 system; its almost unusable and we have given up and just go to a police station instead. That is the report where you are staying in 24 hours process, which you need to do if you stay at your Thai wifes house (and not a hotel, etc, where they do it for you).

When traveling it has been done online for me, also when I do my 90 day report. I did my 90 day online last time. I'm surprised if you can't do the same with your TM30. But it may vary for region? Well good luck to you anyway, chok dii krap

6 hours ago, MickTurator said:

So an extension based on retirement is not covered with this new online service.

I saw this: 6. Resident families And I think since this isn't quite sorted they will include retiree "residents". I remember during covid with the certificate of entry application it didn't show the non O as a category and I was told to use the OA category. That's the kind of thing I suspect here. 

Since one must still go to the IO for the sticker it would be better to stick to the old procedure and do the extension in person and save yourself 500 Baht......or is the new system compulsory? It seems to complicate things as they will have two systems running side by side.

• Like 1