Best prices for progressive lenses

Petchou

I started shopping for progressive lenses for my glasses.   I come to conclusion most stores are charging twice to three times the price abroad.  It's not cheap at all and not even reasonable.

Who can help by sharing name and location of what they think is a place to recommend for their service and price.   

Thank you for your help 

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Figure around 9k for Essilor.

I went to KT Optic in Central, Phitsanulok and got top testicles (can't use the word beginning with B.....x) Essilor lenses and titanium frames. Altogether Bht 26000. Best I have EVER had. Three years on and perfect. They even replaced the lenses after 2 years because the coating was coming off. 100%.

However the high street shops with blue logo do have very cute short-skirted girls !   555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The prices vary massively from location to location and also by the type of lens you buy. Even within Essilor there's a number of different grades of lens. There's a huge number of companies operating in the same space which means it is very very profitable. Foreigners rarely see the same prices offered to Thai people who typically buy a different brand and quality of lens entirely. If you pressure the shop assistants sometimes they will let you have access to that level but of course that means less commission.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I went to KT Optic in Central, Phitsanulok and got top testicles (can't use the word beginning with B.....x) Essilor lenses and titanium frames. Altogether Bht 26000. Best I have EVER had. Three years on and perfect. They even replaced the lenses after 2 years because the coating was coming off. 100%.

However the high street shops with blue logo do have very cute short-skirted girls !   555

That's affordable prices, I always go to Europe when I need new glasses, recently I paid 1200 euro for frame and multifocal glasses.

As long as you already have a prescription it's probably going to be cheaper buying them online.  I buy them from eyebuydirect.com in the US.  I am assuming there are online place in Thailand.

Edited by shdmn

The fist step to getting any really decent lense here is to find a proper optometrist that uses the right equipment to measure your eye strengths. I've had a few pairs of glasses in Bangkok and I have never been happy with the outcome.  I can't name the outlets but they were "top" franchise establishments, not individual cheapie places. They just use youngish staff who are really just assistants and not skilled optometrists.

So if anyone knows of a good optometrist, then let me know as I also need these varifocal type lenses for some new glasses.

I also use monthly use Bauch and Lomb multifocal contact lenses as well and I can't find those in Bangkok either. The locally available daily use multifocals are a different brand and also a bit outrageously priced compared to the UK, where I can buy contact lenses online. Unfortunately I rarely go to the UK anymore and I've never lived there only visited so I don't know anyone who could send them to me.

8 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

The fist step to getting any really decent lense here is to find a proper optometrist that uses the right equipment to measure your eye strengths. I've had a few pairs of glasses in Bangkok and I have never been happy with the outcome.  I can't name the outlets but they were "top" franchise establishments, not individual cheapie places. They just use youngish staff who are really just assistants and not skilled optometrists.

So if anyone knows of a good optometrist, then let me know as I also need these varifocal type lenses for some new glasses.

I also use monthly use Bauch and Lomb multifocal contact lenses as well and I can't find those in Bangkok either. The locally available daily use multifocals are a different brand and also a bit outrageously priced compared to the UK, where I can buy contact lenses online. Unfortunately I rarely go to the UK anymore and I've never lived there only visited so I don't know anyone who could send them to me.

There are less than half a dozen licensed practicing optometrists in Thailand, it's referred to as the missing profession. You need to go to a Hospital and see an Ophthalmologist and have that person write a prescription.

• Thumbs Up 2

I need a complicated Rx which includes prisms.  My ophthalmologist in Udon was a bust.  As was the eye clinic at the Kohn Kaen University Med Center.  I finally went to Paris Miki (Gaysorn Village) in Bangkok and was seen by Mr Mizumori, not an MD or Dr of Optometry (which I have not ever seen in Thailand!)  I could not be happier!  They do have an ophthalmologist there also, but he only reviewed the exam since only needed a refraction with no medical issues.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 2:36 PM, Petchou said:

I started shopping for progressive lenses for my glasses.   I come to conclusion most stores are charging twice to three times the price abroad.  It's not cheap at all and not even reasonable.

Who can help by sharing name and location of what they think is a place to recommend for their service and price.   

Thank you for your help 

My local market has a spectacles store.. tests/manufactures/fits.. huge selection

Lenses and frames 2,500 baht complete.

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My local market has a spectacles store.. tests/manufactures/fits.. huge selection

Lenses and frames 2,500 baht complete.

Where is your local market?  Can you please give exactly the location,name etc..  thank you 

Edited by Petchou

On 11/10/2022 at 4:45 PM, shdmn said:

I buy them from eyebuydirect.com in the US.

I never heard of them until someone mentioned them in a recent thread.  I did a comparison between them and  Zennioptical.  I used my prescription and even with all the discounts (I had to look hard to find all the discount vouchers.  The ones on their ordering page were nothing compared to what I ended up finding) eyebuydirect was still USD70 more expensive.

The comparison was apples and apples not apples and oranges.

13 hours ago, Petchou said:

Where is your local market?  Can you please give exactly the location,name etc..  thank you 

It's next to "Wat phra Ngam", an evening street market in mueang area of Nakhon Pathom

every Saturday & Sunday.

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

This has been asked before. Thailand is not a great place for optical needs. Most people recommend some online place like zenni.

Completely untrue. At  a minimum, northern Thailand is home to several Japanese optical engineering companies such as Hoya and European companies such as Essilor. Both companies (and others) manufacture optical lenses for sale within Thailand and overseas. 

Thailand is the world’s largest manufacturer of optical lenses with 22% of global market share.

• Over 800 to 900 million optical lenses produced annually.

• Number of Optical Shops in Thailand is 15,000 stores including chain stores and individual optical stores.

• The number of opticians in Thailand is 1,530 and most opticians work as business owners and work on eye testing, frame sales frame and lens, including contact lens, and frame repairs.

https://www.ioassn.org/news/did-you-know-thailand-optics-market/#:~:text=Over 800 to 900 million optical lenses produced annually.&text=Number of Optical Shops in,stores and individual optical stores.

36 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Completely untrue. At  a minimum, northern Thailand is home to several Japanese optical engineering companies such as Hoya and European companies such as Essilor. Both companies (and others) manufacture optical lenses for sale within Thailand and overseas. 

Thailand is the world’s largest manufacturer of optical lenses with 22% of global market share.

• Over 800 to 900 million optical lenses produced annually.

• Number of Optical Shops in Thailand is 15,000 stores including chain stores and individual optical stores.

• The number of opticians in Thailand is 1,530 and most opticians work as business owners and work on eye testing, frame sales frame and lens, including contact lens, and frame repairs.

https://www.ioassn.org/news/did-you-know-thailand-optics-market/#:~:text=Over 800 to 900 million optical lenses produced annually.&text=Number of Optical Shops in,stores and individual optical stores.

Why are people having problems getting a professional exam and affordable quality lenses then?

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Why are people having problems getting a professional exam and affordable quality lenses then?

Walk into any private hospital and see an Ophthalmologist, no appointment needed, an eye exam and prescription should be between 1,000 and 2,000, based on which hospital and where about in the country you are. 

As for the cost of lenses etc., shop around and bargain, everyone does, even Thai's.