Best prices for progressive lenses

Petchou

On 11/9/2022 at 2:57 AM, marin said:

Progressive lenses are for correcting both short and long vision at one time. They are basically bifocals built into one lens. I tried them and they did not work for me. I use reading glasses and that is all, my long vision is fine. Progressive for me was fine for reading but made my long vision worse. 

Same for me. I tried a progressive but it did not like it. So opted for a glass for computer work (bought in Thailand for 5K Baht, reimbursed by my insurance 50% because out of network) , one for reading bought online for $20 (Out of pocket) and one for driving (transition lenses bought in the USA paid by my vision insurance). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onerak said:

Same for me. I tried a progressive but it did not like it. So opted for a glass for computer work (bought in Thailand for 5K Baht, reimbursed by my insurance 50% because out of network) , one for reading bought online for $20 (Out of pocket) and one for driving (transition lenses bought in the USA paid by my vision insurance). 

That works if you want to carry three pairs of glasses around everywhere and constantly change them.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, marcho said:
On 11/9/2022 at 11:20 AM, BritManToo said:

zennioptical.com ........ around $50 inc delivery, usually arrive in less than 2 weeks.

Yep that's where I buy mine. Excellent 

What PD do you give for progressive lenses? near/far?

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That works if you want to carry three pairs of glasses around everywhere and constantly change them.

I don't carry three pairs because I don't use computer everywhere and drive everywhere. I keep my driving glass  in the car, computer glass at my home desk. And hardly carry my reading glass everywhere. Never had any problem. Doing this for a few years. If anything changes will adapt accordingly. 

Edited by Onerak

46 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I don't carry three pairs because I don't use computer everywhere and drive everywhere. I keep my driving glass  in the car, computer glass at my home desk. And hardly carry my reading glass everywhere. Never had any problem. Doing this for a few years. If anything changes will adapt accordingly. 

So your fine mid range then?

27 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

So your fine mid range then?

I can read phone messages if look at the phone a little away from the eyes. But my eye doctors said not to read for a prolonged time like that. Doctors said my nearsightedness has improved considerably over the last five years and now though I can drive without glasses during the day, I prefer to drive with glasses. May be got used to it. I try to avoid driving at night. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, BritManToo said:

zennioptical.com ........ around $50 inc delivery, usually arrive in less than 2 weeks.

I've been using Zenni for 5 years and highly satisfied.  Just got a new pair of progressives: inexpensive frames and lenses, to keep as a spare pair, only $70. Delivery from their China factory was 10 days to Jomtien via DHL.

When going through their order process, it's kind of like buying a car with a host of add-ons that can significantly push the price up.  Do some googling to decide which you really need.

They really are so inexpensive, you can go to their site, buy the most inexpensive pair possible in your prescription (not all frames can use progressive lenses) and try them out.  If satisfied, get a better pair for everyday use. 

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

I've been using Zenni for 5 years and highly satisfied.  Just got a new pair of progressives: inexpensive frames and lenses, to keep as a spare pair, only $70. Delivery from their China factory was 10 days to Jomtien via DHL.

When going through their order process, it's kind of like buying a car with a host of add-ons that can significantly push the price up.  Do some googling to decide which you really need.

They really are so inexpensive, you can go to their site, buy the most inexpensive pair possible in your prescription (not all frames can use progressive lenses) and try them out.  If satisfied, get a better pair for everyday use. 

I don’t think cheap frames are for me. I want a quality frame & lens.

On 11/10/2022 at 5:15 PM, nigelforbes said:

There are less than half a dozen licensed practicing optometrists in Thailand, it's referred to as the missing profession. You need to go to a Hospital and see an Ophthalmologist and have that person write a prescription.

Make sure the opthamologist knows you want a vision test, not just a physical exam of your eyes as vision tests are usually not part of an ophthalmological exam. Also, if considering progressive lenses, make sure the Dr. includes what is called your "PD" (pupillary distance)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

ok, regarding Zenni, I agree that they are good. I often use them to test new prescriptions. I however, get my daily lenses from shop/lab in los angeles, an I get Shamir Autograph III. If you are looking for higher end lenses, in my experience the shops in Thailand are a total rip-off. They are charging 3 times what it cost for me to get Shamir, Varilux or Zeiss in the U.S. And about 25% higher than the pricey shops in New York (for example pick a pricey shop in Soho or Chelsea). But.... but! maybe it's it's also that I walk in wearing Mykita or ic-berlin! and transitions and they see "white American guy speaking English" and up goes the price. Btw. a word about Zenni, sometimes they ship via Europe now, and then Thai customs has been adding import duty. When shipping via China or Hong Kong there was not duty. But please folks, any suggestions for Bangkok, for a friend of mine who needs some ASAP.