Buriram

coralia

At the Bus station / Train station you will have taxi's that can take you there.

I live in Buriram, but shameful to say I have never been to Phanom Rung (yet)

It's quite far away from Buriram City

Here is a guide (2020) on how to visit

https://itsbetterinthailand.com/activities/phanom-rung-historical-park/

Phanom Rung is located about an hour’s drive from Buriram City, and around an hour and twenty minutes from Surin. You could also visit from Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) but if you’re visiting there, the Phimai Historical Park is closer and we’d recommend those Khmer ruins instead. There is no reliable public transportation option to Phanom Rung, so you’ll need to either drive yourself, hire a taxi to take you, or go by tour.

• Like 1

Buriram has a very large football stadium, and a volcanic crater of some kind. Quite a few expats, and a lot of dark-skinned Thais. Food is Isaan, high on the chili scale. That's all I can remember of it.

5 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

We visited Phnom Rung on the way back to Bangkok from points farther east. We had wanted to visit for a long time, but were always in too much of a hurry to either get to our destination or back to Bangkok. In June we finally found the time and were pleasantly surprised. There were very few other people visiting, so we had mostly uncluttered views and photo opportunities.

When in the area, I've popped in a few times.  Very nice, especially before the tour buses use to arrive.  Nice snaps 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The cutes Thai girls are from Buriram province.

But to be fair I am not sure if they are still over there or is they all come to Bangkok and Pattaya.

angelwitch-nana-plaza-2.jpg.4fe793273ecdd7ea6d243c8b848a90f1.jpg

I long ago came to the conclusion that nobody between the ages of 21 and 35 lives in Buriram. 

The males all drive taxis in Bangkok, the females are all engaged in various employment fields there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Phanom Rung is good. Burilam isnt. Phimai looks the same and they have hotels there. I would just go Phimai. Bus from Korat. Korat is ok.

Why is Buriram not good? I was thinking of visiting because I have an acquaintance who lives in the area. But I'm not sure the place is worth the hassle of getting there....

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I long ago came to the conclusion that nobody between the ages of 21 and 35 lives in Buriram. 

The males all drive taxis in Bangkok, the females are all engaged in various employment fields there.

Terrible ????

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

We visited Phnom Rung on the way back to Bangkok from points farther east. We had wanted to visit for a long time, but were always in too much of a hurry to either get to our destination or back to Bangkok. In June we finally found the time and were pleasantly surprised. There were very few other people visiting, so we had mostly uncluttered views and photo opportunities.

20220623_132857.jpeg

20220623_131819.jpeg

Beautiful pictures ❣️

• Thanks 1

Went there with a Grammy singer last month, his home town, quite impressed. Liked the view from the volcano. The food there, and in remote Surin was far better than anything I ever had in Bangkok. Don't miss the famous meat balls outside the railway station, not for me but Black Pink Lisa likes 'em. 

I went for the World Superbikes in 2019, which was a great event, but I found Buriram itself dreadful after dark compared to Phuket - apart from one ex-pat place around the corner from the Victoria Centre I felt decidedly out of place. Lots of young Thais (including plenty of very attractive young ladies) but they keep to themselves and were not the least bit interested in a single handsome farang guy - which is fair enough I  guess.

I had a day to spare before flying back and so I rode the scooter up to Phanom Rung - from memory it took about an hour and a half at a leisurely pace and was a very dull ride along straight flat hot dusty roads. The place was worth a visit if you can handle the steps (see posted photos) but a lot of tacky traders around.

On the way back I stopped off at Huai Talat lakes/reservoirs which were a bit of an oasis in an otherwise dull landscape.

Almost back in Buriram I also took a look at Khao Kradong Forest Park (the extinct volcano) which was also a worthwhile visit with great views from the top over towards the race circuit - the visibility was just about okay on that day.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I went for the World Superbikes in 2019, which was a great event, but I found Buriram itself dreadful after dark compared to Phuket - apart from one ex-pat place around the corner from the Victoria Centre I felt decidedly out of place. Lots of young Thais (including plenty of very attractive young ladies) but they keep to themselves and were not the least bit interested in a single handsome farang guy - which is fair enough I  guess.

I had a day to spare before flying back and so I rode the scooter up to Phanom Rung - from memory it took about an hour and a half at a leisurely pace and was a very dull ride along straight flat hot dusty roads. The place was worth a visit if you can handle the steps (see posted photos) but a lot of tacky traders around.

On the way back I stopped off at Huai Talat lakes/reservoirs which were a bit of an oasis in an otherwise dull landscape.

Almost back in Buriram I also took a look at Khao Kradong Forest Park (the extinct volcano) which was also a worthwhile visit with great views from the top over towards the race circuit - the visibility was just about okay on that day.

With all due respect it is not smart to compare Buriram with Phuket  - especially after dark.

Frankly, I would take Buriram over Phuket. Partly because I dislike Phuket and secondly  -  I know where to go at night in Buriram.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

With all due respect it is not smart to compare Buriram with Phuket  - especially after dark.

Frankly, I would take Buriram over Phuket. Partly because I dislike Phuket and secondly  -  I know where to go at night in Buriram.

Why not? I compare Phuket with numerous other destinations and my UK home town which is why I come here for long holidays.

And I'm sure you know the great places in Buriram but I didn't and the OP probably won't so how about you spill the beans?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

You clearly are talking out of your a$#@.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Phimai looks the same

This is like saying Notre Dame and St Peter look the same. To my Chinese friends, all these Western cathedrals look the same.

I like Phanom Rung much more than Phimai.

Nearest accommodation is in Nang Rong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1