Buriram

coralia

16 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Buriram city is quite interesting in that it differs from other places by being a lot more boring. 

The layout of the place is weird.

It's not like other towns, its much less lively, visibly artificial. 

You can see its ugliness and learn something about the Thai state and its development model. It's much more visible in this monstrosity than in real towns, like Surin or Korat

555 i thought so to. Ugly layout.

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

Buriram city is quite interesting in that it differs from other places by being a lot more boring. 

You can see its ugliness and learn something about the Thai state and its development model. It's much more visible in this monstrosity than in real towns, like Surin or Korat

555. Funny. You should take more water with it.

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did you move there for the 'attractions' or peace & quiet of rural living.  Surely you knew that before moving there, hopefully.

Buriram has the excellent history/Khmer ruin, restored or not.

As with all Thai towns, small or large, the usual Wats, Park, Lake, stream or surf if lucky, City Pillars, Walking Street/Night market.

Not sure what else people expect, since not a tourist destination.  Some towns have water parks, for a bit of heat relief.  Larger towns, simply more of exactly the same.  More variety is about all.

Unless having a customer base for some other cultural or entertainment venues, that's about all you'll get.  

Less than 3 hours to Siem Reap.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill Dauterive said:

And go where ? 

There is a plethora if great restaurants. Out in the country, lakeside, riverside and in the town.

The football stadium and race track and the many festival that go on there.

Good shopping with most of the big name chains there.

Lots of bars, Thai and expat, for a leisurely afternoon or more energetic evening.

Drives out, rides out,walks out.

Not forgetting family too.

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

or ask, why did you leave? 555

People who know me well know exactly why myself and my family don't reside in Buriram permanently at present, we haven't left. Not like others who do leave their chosen province under vicious storm clouds.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lorry said:

I'm intrigued. 

Please explain what sets Surin apart from Buriram, thus making it a "Real" town.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'm intrigued. 

Please explain what sets Surin apart from Buriram, thus making it a "Real" town.

Not sure about 'real town', but the disgusting Elephant factory industry/torture camps IMHO, definitely sets it apart.  Which hopefully came to a grinding halt the past couple years, due to the 'situation'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure about 'real town', but the disgusting Elephant factory industry/torture camps IMHO, definitely sets it apart.  Which hopefully came to a grinding halt the past couple years, due to the 'situation'.

You've been watch too many YouTube videos. Or, more likely, the usual 2 or 3 that get rebranded.

• Love It 1

I didn't mean to start a controversy....

I don't like small Thai towns. I was in Chiang Rai once and I fled after two days. As soon as I exited the minuscule town centre I found that there were dogs roaming in the streets. I like to walk around a lot and I'm afraid of stray dogs, so this sort of "experience" is not for me.

I was thinking of travelling to Buriram this winter because I have a Thai acquaintance who lives in the area (outside the city). I don't know if the town is worth the hassle of getting there though. That's why I posted the question. Thank you all for your input ????

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Victoria Centre the nightlife hub of Buriram?

There were also a few lively bars near what I believe is known as "the circle" - the big roundabout at the south of the town.

Neither place was hostile, but I just got the impression that they were not interested in engaging with farangs.

Edited by London Lowf

2 hours ago, coralia said:

I didn't mean to start a controversy....

I don't like small Thai towns. I was in Chiang Rai once and I fled after two days. As soon as I exited the minuscule town centre I found that there were dogs roaming in the streets. I like to walk around a lot and I'm afraid of stray dogs, so this sort of "experience" is not for me.

I was thinking of travelling to Buriram this winter because I have a Thai acquaintance who lives in the area (outside the city). I don't know if the town is worth the hassle of getting there though. That's why I posted the question. Thank you all for your input ????

No its not much good. Khon Kaen is much better. Korat is ok. Dogs are everywhere in Thailand. Monkeys are worse.

Either you like old ruins or you dont.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Why not live in SR?

I would if I wanted to be in Cambodia.

For those, settling for life in Buriram, it is nice to have the oasis of Siem Reap in closer range than Bangkok or Pattaya.

It was fun running mini trips of 4 days to Siem Reap, probably averaged 2 visits a month over a 3 year period.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:56 AM, KhunLA said:

Did you move there for the 'attractions' or peace & quiet of rural living.  Surely you knew that before moving there, hopefully.

Buriram has the excellent history/Khmer ruin, restored or not.

As with all Thai towns, small or large, the usual Wats, Park, Lake, stream or surf if lucky, City Pillars, Walking Street/Night market.

Not sure what else people expect, since not a tourist destination.  Some towns have water parks, for a bit of heat relief.  Larger towns, simply more of exactly the same.  More variety is about all.

Unless having a customer base for some other cultural or entertainment venues, that's about all you'll get.  

Nobody asked if we knew before we lived here what a backward boring place it is...and yes we did. The question was is is worth to make the trip there as a tourist. Regardless of your love for it. The answer clearly is no. It is not worth the trip as a tourist. AND it was specifically about the city. That is an even bigger no. The city has no sights. 

Edited by Bill Dauterive
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Bill Dauterive said:

Nobody asked if we knew before we lived here what a backward boring place it is...and yes we did. The question was is is worth to make the trip there as a tourist. Regardless of your love for it. The answer clearly is no. It is not worth the trip as a tourist. AND it was specifically about the city. That is an even bigger no. The city has no sights. 

Really depends what you are looking for as a tourist.  So many ask about the 'real Thailand', and where to see.

All of Thailand .. IS ... the real Thailand.  Now about half of the local live in metros & urban areas.  The rest, small towns & villages (<50-100k) folks in a town or even Amphur, as where I live, about 90k in the whole Amphur Muang.

Many after finding that half of the real Thailand, realize, not for them.  I / we personally like it ... for a while ... then want some comforts, depending on mood.  A few more dining choices, unless the couple we find are very good, then very happy.

When out & about, we don't stay anywhere for more than couple nights, though may move around the same location, such as Phuket.  Last time there, we stayed at 5 different areas, for 1-3 nights each area.   I can't do 1 week at one location, except for Krung Thep, and even then we may move to another area, instead of transporting to, if wanting to explore a few things there. 

Possibly since been to so many areas already, a few times, and just there to relax or discover whatever might be new.  Usually not much.

IMHO, TH is a terrible holiday destination, unless just looking for R&R, or 'need' P4P.   Pull up list of attractions at any area, and you'll find; Wats, Nat Park (usually not worth the entry fee), museums (all seem to be repeats), beaches (few clean enough to swim in), unless outer island and logistical to get to.

I came here to retire, though have enjoyed playing tourist, but I would not make a special trip to play tourist, after the first or second visit.  Fills in the time if you live here, but that's about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, puchooay said:

To be fair, it all depends on what type of tourist you are.

If, for example; you are the sort of tourist that would go to Ibiza to drink Carlsberg, have an English breakfast everyday, lay on the beach and then go for a Chinese for dinner, then NO. Buriram is not for you.

If, however; you went to Ibiza and tried local drinks, went to local Ibizian cafes for breakfast, went sightseeing off the beaten track and has a nice authentic Ibizian dinner in a local restaurant, YES. Buriram could be for you.

When I arrived in Buriram in 1998 there was a lot less than there is now. Only about 4 regular expats in town, no western food outlets and Chang beer at 6.5%. It was a great place. Great for exploring and seeing how different cultures had created such an interesting place. Predominately Khmer in history but with Laos and Chinese culture thrown into the mix.

Night life was restricted to a few Karaoke bars and Speed music hall. As I was only 28 years old at the time and a single man, these venues suited me. Not so much now.

Sightseeing is difficult and it was for me in the day as my only transport was a motorbike. It didn't stop me from exploring though. I used to head out to the big "Elephant" roundabout and just choose a road. Head on up and take a turn off somewhere. Find a local shop, stop for a drink and use my, at the time, limited Thai to chat to the locals. Expats were so few and far between the locals loved it when I pulled up and chatted. I loved it. For me this was "the real Thailand.+".

I moved away to the Bangkok suburbs for work. Stayed away from Buriram, apart from a week a year visits, for 7 years. When I returned I really could not believe my eyes. Cars everywhere, BigC and Makro being built. There had been a BOOM in the expat community. A few bars had sprung up where expats would go to meet up. The town was buzzing both Thai and expat style.

Then came the football stadium and the race track soon followed. It doesn't make a huge difference with tourism, other than the MotoGP weekend.

Robinson and the local Taweegit stores were built and revamped respectively. The place is now a good place for shopping. The town is hussle and bussle both day and night. Great if you want that sort of thing. Last count there were 5 or 6 main expat hangouts. A few smaller places dotted about. Again, good if that is what you want. I felt the Buriram that I loved had been spoilt. However, I respected the fact that development was good for the local economy.

Fortunately for those that have chosen to live there, the sanctuary of village, family live is still there, untouched and peaceful. The occasional 2 stroke motorbike with dodgy exhaust aside. Best of both worlds you could say. Busy if you want, peaceful if you prefer.

As already mentioned, a good base for travel. Phanom Rung and Muang Tam only a 60km trip, Surin and the attractions there only 45kms away. Korat 120kms and Khon Kaen 200 (ish). Siem Reap about 3 hrs. Not sure of the distance. With a local airport offering 4 flights to Bangkok a day, Krabi and Phuket just a few hours away too.

Women have been mentioned. If you are looking for a nice lady to settle with, Buriram could be for you. I met my wife of 22 years in Buriram when she was working in a photo copy booth. If you are looking for a sh$g and someone you can take a photo of on your phone to show off to your mates in the bar, Buriram is not for you. If you like to blend in quietly, Buriram could be for you. If you want to walk down the street shirtless with a can of beer in your hand, Buriram is not for you. If you want to sit at a table in a restaurant with your lady having a nice meal and drink, Buriram could be for you. If you'd rather sit at a bar with your hand up her skirt while snogging her ( I have sadly seen this happen in Buriram), Buriram is not for you.

Have I gone on too long? Probably.

In short, Pattaya is Pattaya. If you like what is there fine. Buriram is Buriram. If you visit and like it, fine. It's unfair to say somewhere is boring, ugly or dull just because it's not for you. I don't like Bangkok, Pattaya or Samui but would not slag it off or say "NO. Don't go there, it's a s%$thole". I would say "go and have a look", "see for yourself".

Good post @puchooay

• Thumbs Up 1