pigeons <deleted>ting all over balcony?

parafareno

6 hours ago, Ganoga said:

Birds don't like stickiness on their feet. Many of the commercially available products are  liquids/ gels which keep roosting or perching areas sticky.  Maybe there's a homemade version on the internet. 

Sounds like WD40 works, i wonder whether oil works, i have some coconut oil sitting about doing nothing

This is my pigeon detterent that has worked well for the last few years. Also installed spikes on the ledge below. They are clear plastic, can be cut to size easily and stuck on with velcro (if they might need removal) or, more permanently with a spot of silicone sealant. The owl was OK on it's own for a while but pigeons are clever and soon ignored it. Hence addition of the spikes. 

20221110_150156.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, d4dang said:

make a barrier of netting or hang CDs or other objects that shine/flash while moving in the wind.  The buggers will lay eggs which can attract snakes that will climb several stories for a snack

CDs don't work at all.

Eventually pigeons will break through  netting.  If building unnocupied they will even break windows.  Need to make them very uncomfortable. Asian cuckoos Koel  will steal and replace their eggs.  BB guns upset Thai Bhudists!

5 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

A taut fishing line where they land. As good as invisible.

Now that's one idea I like, and I will recommend it to a friend of mine who has had a pigeon problem for a long time now, this despite buying plastic owls that hoot; something akin to a kids mobile which you hang from the ceiling and flaps its wings; a large black bird which is triggered by movement (by pigeons) and none have worked.

He has a soft pellet pistol, but cannot be on guard all day, so I think the taut fishing line is the answer, and I believe I've heard this from somewhere else in the past.

He doesn't want to use poison because he has got a couple of small dogs and accidents do happen. So thank you Mm.

26 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now that's one idea I like, and I will recommend it to a friend of mine who has had a pigeon problem for a long time now, this despite buying plastic owls that hoot; something akin to a kids mobile which you hang from the ceiling and flaps its wings; a large black bird which is triggered by movement (by pigeons) and none have worked.

He has a soft pellet pistol, but cannot be on guard all day, so I think the taut fishing line is the answer, and I believe I've heard this from somewhere else in the past.

He doesn't want to use poison because he has got a couple of small dogs and accidents do happen. So thank you Mm.

This was my equipment. And the metal things for making it a bit higher where I couldn't fix it higher otherwise. 

20221110_174045.jpg

Open up a "Squab Under Glass" restaurant.  Charge 15,000 Baht per head.  Within a month every single "Thai entrepreneur" will come to your building and eradicate every single pigeon so they can open up there own "Squab Under Glass restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Pigeons love corn or just about any seed soaked in Ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol can be purchased on Lazada. Soak the seeds for about three of four days before treating the birds to this delight. Works every time.

damn, that is brutal...does their rat belly explode? I am vegan so killing the animals is not my thing though...i could put some weed in the corn lol

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

This is my pigeon detterent that has worked well for the last few years. Also installed spikes on the ledge below. They are clear plastic, can be cut to size easily and stuck on with velcro (if they might need removal) or, more permanently with a spot of silicone sealant. The owl was OK on it's own for a while but pigeons are clever and soon ignored it. Hence addition of the spikes. 

20221110_150156.jpg

this balcony is like a fortress....555  does it work for flying rats?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Owl decoy statues are supposed to work

Unfortunately they and a couple of other "statues" of Hawks, including one which made a sound which was supposedly the sound which Hawks make, and one which flapped its wings in the breeze, didn't work for a friend of mine and I have passed on the information regarding the fishing line, which I think is a great idea.

Some good ideas on here, all the same.

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Unfortunately they and a couple of other "statues" of Hawks, including one which made a sound which was supposedly the sound which Hawks make, and one which flapped its wings in the breeze, didn't work for a friend of mine and I have passed on the information regarding the fishing line, which I think is a great idea.

Some good ideas on here, all the same.

how exactly does fishing line work? so the rat hits the fishing line and freaks out?

10 hours ago, parafareno said:

how exactly does fishing line work? so the rat hits the fishing line and freaks out?

Yes, I think that is the case, and I do recall reading something about this a while back, whereby the pigeon when coming into land on whatever surface it chooses, encounters the invisible fishing line and freaks out because it gets knocked off balance whilst in flight and soon stays away from that landing spot.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

Yes, I think that is the case, and I do recall reading something about this a while back, whereby the pigeon when coming into land on whatever surface it chooses, encounters the invisible fishing line and freaks out because it gets knocked off balance whilst in flight and soon stays away from that landing spot.

I guess that may work if it’s the same pigeon coming each time. If there are hundreds of pigeons each pigeon does not know the wire is there, so you still get a constant pigeon visits and craps.

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I guess that may work if it’s the same pigeon coming each time. If there are hundreds of pigeons each pigeon does not know the wire is there, so you still get a constant pigeon visits and craps.

I'm not sure Jim, however once a few pigeons find that they can't safely land there, perhaps it works a bit like the "jungle telegraph" so others aren't tempted to perch there??

Anyway this friend of mine is going to give it a try because he has tried just about everything else, including all of the things already mentioned, so he's got nothing to lose. 

When if/he does this I will report back on the outcome for others who may be experiencing the same problem.

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I used it and from my experience they don't like this flexible fishing line. Of course you also can put there a thin metal wire. It will be impossible for them to land on it. Compared to spikes this is pretty invisible and doesn't need any cleaning either. 

• Like 1