Forum upgrade in progress! ×

pigeons <deleted>ting all over balcony?

parafareno

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

The best solution is to put up screens or nets or the equivalent.

My maid put out large coke bottles filled with water, but it seemed to make no difference.

(supposedly, something about the light interacting with the bottles was supposed to help - didn't).

Neighbors invested in some sort of "nails for your feet" strips of nails that the pigeons seemed to navigate just fine.

I finally found these long thin spikey wires on a piece of plastic that you tape down.

Those worked great, but make the space you placed them utterly unusable.

I ended up putting up a net to keep them out and it was the only thing that really worked.

i saw these metal spikes in one guy appartemnt i was looking to buy.....he put oil on th e<deleted>ing railing before i came, so the pigeons would slip or something? <deleted>

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i hate nets, they are ugly

Nets are not permitted by many juristic persons. I've had the scourge of pigeons on my Bangkok balcony. Once, I was away for 7 months and came back to find pigeon nests with squabs. Pigeons need to land and perch. I put plastic pigeon spikes (brought from UK) on my railings and ledge below. Also an owl and wind chimes. When away for long times drape a net over deck chairs and clothes dryer inside the balcony so they can't land and roost. Seems effective as no return for a few years. Pigeons will always return to where they are familiar with. Break that cycle and it lessens the problem. Cleaning up pigeon droppings is relatively easy but messy - just use lots of water to soften, wash away and keep dust down. 

• Like 1

I had same problem at our home in Chiang Mai.  We had songbirds chirping up a cacophony every morning at sunup…too early for yours truly to rise and shine.   I solved the problem by buying some 1/4-in plywood and cutting out a long strip matching the dimensions of our balcony, then I drove nails through the wood, creating a spiked surface that the birds decided wasn’t any fun.   They flew over to my neighbors house instead ????. Then we had cats jumping up to vertical airflow slits formed in our concrete carport wall to roost and look for mice below. I used the same plywood/nails design and put an end to that problem…our furry friends venturing in from the street quickly decided to go elsewhere in search of prey. ????

23 minutes ago, rwill said:

yep that is what i saw today one guy installed.....but he oiled the freaking balcony rail too....does he think the birds will fall down for god sake?

If the birds are walking all over the area then bird spike strips as we call them in Oz won't work.

But, if they roost on pipes or handrails you can simply either stick or screw these spikey strips along the railings and bingo.

If they walk all over the patio floor then a screen akin to insect screens will work perfectly OR maybe try a solar powered owl or similar predatory bird attached to a railing or perch.

These gadgets have wings that move, and heads that turn. You can occasionally move them about the patio to fool the birds that the predator is real.

I know folks that use then for crazy cockatoos in Australia (where they can be a total pest and extremely destructive ... eating decking, lights and screen doors etc).

They put theirs on a tall bird perch which he fashioned quite quickly and easily ... Not one cockatoo ever came back the moment he put the fake predator out - and cockatoos are very smart birds!

• Like 2

Daiso sell a black bird  mobile for 60baht, a couple of these will work a treat. Sorry I can't post a photo 'cos I'm not at home, and can't find one on the net. Comes in a flat A4 sized packet from the gardening section.