Working with Thai people.

bob smith

On 11/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, Jerno said:

First, perhaps try typing properly with capital letters, otherwise you look like a 8 year old on the computer.  Furthermore if you're the only Farang at that office, good luck fitting in.  Marry a Thai, then you're going to learn a lot and perhaps a chance to fit in.

'an eight (8)'

On 11/13/2022 at 7:22 AM, Andre0720 said:

My experience here, is that Thai people around you will establish some kind of contact, with the ultimate goal of obtaining a financial gain from you.

When they fail at that, they will stop interacting with you, to the point of totally ignoring your presence.

You are in a country where the culture is mainly about selfishness.

And I saw that also between Thais themselves.

Remember, the culture here is about 3 concepts:

1.-Generate money.

2.-Taking care (I take care of you, you take care of me- or for a fee)

3.- Saving face (The source of 90 % of the lies here)

Someone not part of this in the life of a Thai, is next to useless.

Go and enjoy your life here. It is very much possible.

Regards

I agree with most of this, there's definitely a tally, and this also applies to direct family members.

With regard to the OP and having worked three years in a small office in the heart of BKK my advice would be to chill and sanook the daily office shenanigans. Unless you're the boss you're just fodder like your work buddies, falang or not, join in and care much less and smile a lot and donate unless it's going to kill you. Also agree with another responder having also working/living experience with other South East Asian countries, Thailand is uniquely bent and the most foreign place I have ever (and still am) experiencing. It's a blast, you'll kill yourself if you take anything here seriously and that's the point and is what makes this place hilarious and if you allow might also enlighten.

I guess you are old enough to decide for yourself whether you want to fit in or become the office misfit.

Just be aware that one day you might need the assistance of the co-workers that you are alienating. Nothing worse than having a crisis and finding out that there is nobody covering your back.