Is this wrong?

Sparktrader

42 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:
47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

"if you can’t afford 200 baht for a pizza you really have to question what you are doing here”...

OK, OK... so I don’t mean that at all....  But isn’t that the kind of reply such a topic would usually attract ???

I guess we nearly got there... 

Expand  

I can pay 200 baht. Im not giving money to liars.  Advertise 99 baht give it or throw sign in bin.

Last night i ate salmon on the beach. 189 baht. No lies on sign.

I'm with you on this one....  

I was taking the pish out of the posters who’ll argue the price and completely miss the point (as many often do on these sorts of threads). 

9 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Really? What do you expect for 99 baht??? Hardly up market, is it! 

To honour their sign otherwise its false and misleading conduct. Do hotels advertise 599 baht rooms then you walk in and the cheapest is 1200 baht? No they dont cause it would be dodgy.

Edited by Sparktrader

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP seems to be unfamiliar with the concept of bait and switch. Which happens all over the world, not just Thailand.

Yes, I would be too embarrassed to walk out .

Going into a restaurant and asking for the 99 Baht special which is a bit embarrassing anyway , then walking out when they didn't have it !!!!!

To save myself the embarrassment, I would have order something else instead  .

I wouldn't walk out the front door, I would ask where the toilet was and try and leave through the back exit or side door 

40 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:
47 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Cant sue for facts, only lies. It will be anon too. I will do it outside country. 

That last 2 sentences are very important.

I believe the first one is wrong, though. Even if you're right, by Thai defamation laws it doesn't matter, to what I understood. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Correct...  Thailands defamation laws are concerned with intent rather than fact.

A BBC journalist (Jonathan Head) faced 5 years in prison for factually reporting on a fraud.

An Activist (Andy Hall) was sued by a Thai Fruit company after accusing (and proving) sub minimum wage and slavery by the company - the case was thrown out of court based on a technicality.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I would be too embarrassed to walk out .

Going into a restaurant and asking for the 99 Baht special which is a bit embarrassing anyway , then walking out when they didn't have it !!!!!

To save myself the embarrassment, I would have order something else instead  .

I wouldn't walk out the front door, I would ask where the toilet was and try and leave through the back exit or side door 

Their menu was rubbish. Stuff all choices 200 to 400 baht. No Thais dumb enough to eat there. Likely rubbish taste given they lie.

Had 300 baht seafood dinner for 2 at Thai restaurant.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct...  Thailands defamation laws are concerned with intent rather than fact.

A BBC journalist (Jonathan Head) faced 5 years in prison for factually reporting on a fraud.

An Activist (Andy Hall) was sued by a Thai Fruit company after accusing (and proving) sub minimum wage and slavery by the company - the case was thrown out of court based on a technicality.

How does that apply to international hotel chains? Or even a small local obe.

Example

Ripped towels, bad tv reception, poor water pressure. Bad bed.

All of that could be 100% accurate.

24 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

To honour their sign otherwise its false and misleading conduct. Do hotels advertise 599 baht rooms then you walk in and the cheapest is 1200 baht? No they dont cause it would be dodgy.

I would think a 599 baht hotel would be somewhat dodgy! I think 1200 baht is very cheap.

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

How does that apply to international hotel chains? Or even a small local obe.

Example

Ripped towels, bad tv reception, poor water pressure. Bad bed.

All of that could be 100% accurate.

And you could be sued in Thailand under Thailands Defamation laws.

Of course, the optics of such a response are so poor that no self respecting international hotel chain would respond in this juvenile revengeful manner, they’d accept the criticism, learn from it and thank the American for his candid feedback. 

This exact scenario occurred just over two years ago....  an American was sued by a hotel in Koh Chang after leaving a negative review on Trip Advisor. 

He [the American] was arrested and spent a handful of days in Jail. 

If I’m not mistaken the case was dropped only after TripAdvisor agreed to remove the review, and only after the American apologised to all staff for the review and to Thailand’s Tourism Authority.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/koh-chang-resort-sues-american-over-bad-review

This is the TripAdvisor page for the hotel in question - note the warning at the Top of the page. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580110-d594766-Reviews-Sea_View_Resort_Spa_Koh_Chang-Ko_Chang_Trat_Province.html

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 16.00.03.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

And you could be sued in Thailand under Thailands Defamation laws.

Of course, the optics of such a response are so poor that no self respecting international hotel chain would respond in this juvenile revengeful manner, they’d accept the criticism, learn from it and thank the American for his candid feedback. 

This exact scenario occurred just over two years ago....  an American was sued by a hotel in Koh Chang after leaving a negative review on Trip Advisor. 

He [the American] was arrested and spent a handful of days in Jail. 

If I’m not mistaken the case was dropped only after TripAdvisor agreed to remove the review, and only after the American apologised to all staff for the review and to Thailand’s Tourism Authority.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/koh-chang-resort-sues-american-over-bad-review

This is the TripAdvisor page for the hotel in question - note the warning at the Top of the page. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580110-d594766-Reviews-Sea_View_Resort_Spa_Koh_Chang-Ko_Chang_Trat_Province.html

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 16.00.03.png

TA response is good. Most would read that and not go. I know the location. Stayed nearby.