Death In Rayong

pokoal2000

Accident in Klaeng

One of my students – 14 years old girl died today, because Rayong hospital would not treat her, so they transferred her to Bangkok hospital in Pattaya and all that moving apparently killed her. Minibus taking children to school in Klaeng was in collision with large truck and the truck driver did not stop.5 children are in Rayong hospital with various injuries. She was very good girl, great student, very interested in English language, but because of the great inefficiency of rescue service she is dead. Let’s hope none of us will ever relay on ambulance service in Rayong area. Another young life lost, before she had a chance to enjoy her life. She wanted to be a doctor. Very sad.

Accident in Klaeng

One of my students – 14 years old girl died today, because Rayong hospital would not treat her, so they transferred her to Bangkok hospital in Pattaya and all that moving apparently killed her. Minibus taking children to school in Klaeng was in collision with large truck and the truck driver did not stop.5 children are in Rayong hospital with various injuries. She was very good girl, great student, very interested in English language, but because of the great inefficiency of rescue service she is dead. Let's hope none of us will ever relay on ambulance service in Rayong area. Another young life lost, before she had a chance to enjoy her life. She wanted to be a doctor. Very sad.

The hospital needs to be held accountable, otherwise the system is a joke.

The driver must be found and prosecited, otherwise the system is a joke.

Edited by JimmyCA

Accident in Klaeng

One of my students – 14 years old girl died today, because Rayong hospital would not treat her, so they transferred her to Bangkok hospital in Pattaya and all that moving apparently killed her. Minibus taking children to school in Klaeng was in collision with large truck and the truck driver did not stop.5 children are in Rayong hospital with various injuries. She was very good girl, great student, very interested in English language, but because of the great inefficiency of rescue service she is dead. Let’s hope none of us will ever relay on ambulance service in Rayong area. Another young life lost, before she had a chance to enjoy her life. She wanted to be a doctor. Very sad.

Did the school bus have seat belts? No? Thought so... ..._really_ pisses me off when I see kids leaving B100k+/term schools standing up in the front passenger seat, leaning over the passenger airbag.

Very sorry to hear about your student.

Edited by lingling

Accident in Klaeng

Did the school bus have seat belts? No? Thought so...

seat belts??I don't think they know what that is.The Thais are strange lot. You know , I was lot more upset about this then the Thai teachers, who known this girl for years.

seat belts??I don't think they know what that is.The Thais are strange lot. You know , I was lot more upset about this then the Thai teachers, who known this girl for years.

So sorry to read this.

I can remember being deeply upset at news of a student suicide in another Asian country; much more than it appeared my local colleagues were and than their comments indicated ("ungrateful to parents"). Perhaps they were equally upset but expressed it differently.

I wonder how much shaped by attitudes about fate this kid's classmates already are ?

Could be good to help the kids express their feelings, through drawings, pictures and other tributes.

Don't want to sound too harsh and uncaring for surely it is a sad thing when any life is lost through the negligent or criminal act of another. I am sure your feelings of loss are heartfelt. However, maybe the Thais you say are not too upset about it express their grief in different (more inwardly directed ways). Maybe they also understand that this girl's death was not the first and will surely not be the last of its type and that outward expressions of extreme grief, anger, frustration (ala typical Western reaction to such an event) about it will not bring the girl back nor provide any condolence to her family.

Reminds me of the story I read somewhere about a murder that took place in some Thai village. Even though the perpetrator was known, there was no great pressure to bring that person to justice. (And it was not because the person was someone of influence or someone in brown or something like that.) They understood that no matter what punishment was handed out, the deed was done and nothing would bring the murdered person back. Any further action would only cause further discord and disharmony in the village and so nothing was done. They left it up to karma to work its way.

In a similar way, when that crazy man killed those Amish girls a few months back in USA, the Amish immediately forgave him his evil deed and even went to console HIS family over what he had done and let them know that they (the Amish) had forgiven their relative his heinous crime. They too understood that to keep their rage inside them and press for revenge/vengeance only hurts first of all themselves and secondly the family of the killer. It will also not reverse the act that had been done.

My deepest condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy. This needless type of incident especially pulls on my heartstrings when someone so young and helpless is involved.

Unfortunately this type of negligence in emergency care is becoming more and more common . The emergency care system is falling apart in many countries of the world-- not just developing countries like Thailand. Last week here in the US, a woman went into convulsions on the floor of the Emergency Room in a major hospital. Despite the desperate pleas of people also waiting in the ER begging hospital staff to help her , the ER staff told them she would just have to wait her turn. She died after writhing on the floor without any help for 45 minutes. Probably the only difference between these incidents in the US and those in Thailand is that in the US there will be huge sums of money involved now in an negligence lawsuit.

I think wherever we are, it is important to try to put political pressure on those that have the capability of initiating reform into those emergency care systems that are failing us.

Don't want to sound too harsh and uncaring for surely it is a sad thing when any life is lost through the negligent or criminal act of another. I am sure your feelings of loss are heartfelt. However, maybe the Thais you say are not too upset about it express their grief in different (more inwardly directed ways). Maybe they also understand that this girl's death was not the first and will surely not be the last of its type and that outward expressions of extreme grief, anger, frustration (ala typical Western reaction to such an event) about it will not bring the girl back nor provide any condolence to her family.

Reminds me of the story I read somewhere about a murder that took place in some Thai village. Even though the perpetrator was known, there was no great pressure to bring that person to justice. (And it was not because the person was someone of influence or someone in brown or something like that.) They understood that no matter what punishment was handed out, the deed was done and nothing would bring the murdered person back. Any further action would only cause further discord and disharmony in the village and so nothing was done. They left it up to karma to work its way.

In a similar way, when that crazy man killed those Amish girls a few months back in USA, the Amish immediately forgave him his evil deed and even went to console HIS family over what he had done and let them know that they (the Amish) had forgiven their relative his heinous crime. They too understood that to keep their rage inside them and press for revenge/vengeance only hurts first of all themselves and secondly the family of the killer. It will also not reverse the act that had been done.

I understand this, but it still felt strange

Accident in Klaeng

One of my students – 14 years old girl died today, because Rayong hospital would not treat her, so they transferred her to Bangkok hospital in Pattaya and all that moving apparently killed her. Minibus taking children to school in Klaeng was in collision with large truck and the truck driver did not stop.5 children are in Rayong hospital with various injuries. She was very good girl, great student, very interested in English language, but because of the great inefficiency of rescue service she is dead. Let's hope none of us will ever relay on ambulance service in Rayong area. Another young life lost, before she had a chance to enjoy her life. She wanted to be a doctor. Very sad.

The hospital needs to be held accountable, otherwise the system is a joke.

The driver must be found and prosecited, otherwise the system is a joke.

It seems that Thailand lags behind the modern world when it comes to knowing the importance of treatment on the spot or during transportation of a victim after an accident.  Knowledge of the affects of 'trauma' is absoulutley essential when dealing with serious injurys.  However, the duty of care seems to come second to money in

Thailand :o

Yeah, but in a progressive civilised society we try not to let murderers go unpunished - sends out the wrong kind of message  dont 

you think.  Karma is a belief , not a proven science - believe it or not :o

People, why when someone dies, do we have to turn it into the same debate?

Thailand is not perfect, by doing this we loose the impact of the original post, people die, when they should not, but none of us can change that, so instead of debating over the fact, can we not just pay our respects. A life has been lost yet again because of inept, we all know that, but why keep saying the same things time and time again.

Although this is a tragedy, those who are quick to criticize Thailand should think about the health care related deaths in their own country. More people die in the USA from health care than they do in Thailand.

In fact, the CDC list it as one of the top 10 leading causes of death in the USA. If you don't believe me, check out the following CDC article.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/healthDis.html

Thailand is not perfect, by doing this we loose the impact of the original post, people die, when they should not, but none of us can change that, so instead of debating over the fact, can we not just pay our respects. A life has been lost yet again because of inept, we all know that, but why keep saying the same things time and time again.

Because its relevant to anyone living here. You or yours could end up involved in something like this tomorrow, unfortunately. "Paying your respects" here is a never ending task because of all the needless lives lost due to negligence, carelessness, and buddhist / animist fatalism. Its a cultural deficiency and a cop-out, and costs this country dearly in human / natural resources and the resultant social problems that ensue.

My respects go out to the poor lass's family.

Very sad indeed, condolenses to the family.

Agree that in general emergancy treatment can be a bit poor here I'm gratefull that they were on the ball the night my missus and four of her friends were involved in an accident with a drunk driver though.

Because its relevant to anyone living here. You or yours could end up involved in something like this tomorrow, unfortunately. "Paying your respects" here is a never ending task because of all the needless lives lost due to negligence, carelessness, and buddhist / animist fatalism. Its a cultural deficiency and a cop-out, and costs this country dearly in human / natural resources and the resultant social problems that ensue.

Yes Mr K, I totally understand the fact, and when I was watching the news I looked at my little one, and thought what if, and yes tears came to my eyes, so please, don't ever try and preach again to me.

Read again what I have said, then read again what has been said before my post, and search it. Too many times this forum goes through the same gut moving posts, by the same people, over the same topic, yes it's sad, and yes it bring tears, but how many more bloody times are we going to go over the same thing? If you think you can make the change, then please, I beg you, do it, fact is you can't, no one can all the time this is a Bhudist country. How can we teach safety, all the time they are thinking about the next life Some of you people forget this about Thailand, so you want to moan and greave and make the rest of us try to change the nation we are apart of? Get real, you are in Thailand, a Bhudist nation, people die, yes its sad, even more so when it's a kid. But this is not our country, don't press your views of life and death upon it...................

Sorry Rant over. :o

Apologists, you have no ground to stand on here. Many of the readers of this forum will know exactly how this case was handled. And for the lack of drama concerning many teachers, Not their kid, Not their problem, deep private emotions? See what happens if you bump into their car and scratch it.

On scene a parade of small dirty trucks most of which show damage from their own accidents will arrive. The poorest of uneducated boys will poor out of these vehicles as if they were clowns at a circus arriving in the center ring in a clown car dressed in orange jumpsuits covered in Chinese writing. These boys would be the ones many of us have had run ins with in the past and conduct themselves as a private mafia only accountable to the local Chinese Association VIPs.

The poor child would have in all likelihood received no and I mean zero first responder care, not even the most basic of things as they have not one standard here, I blame the Doctors themselves for allowing this hedonistic practice, Them and the government. Many times if two competing crews arrive they will fight on the spot over who gets who in the back of their trucks, its a shame on a beautiful land. From there one is piled into the back of a rusty truck bed and pounded from whatever road one must travel to wherever they choose to go, while they may save some they are the death of many.

Pointing the finger at America will not work on this matter as we have the finest and most first responders ever known covering the largest first class medically covered geographical area in the history of the world, and no hospital will refuse trauma cases. May God or gods rest this poor child's departed soul and may a few good men take over and correct this horrible and disgusting circumstance. I will leave it to the apologists to debate beyond this.

To the original poster, my heart has known many sorrows here, I have no words of condolence for you to the disturbing and sorrowful loss of this baby as there are none.

Apologists, you have no ground to stand on here. Many of the readers of this forum will know exactly how this case was handled. And for the lack of drama concerning many teachers, Not their kid, Not their problem, deep private emotions? See what happens if you bump into their car and scratch it.

On scene a parade of small dirty trucks most of which show damage from their own accidents will arrive. The poorest of uneducated boys will poor out of these vehicles as if they were clowns at a circus arriving in the center ring in a clown car dressed in orange jumpsuits covered in Chinese writing. These boys would be the ones many of us have had run ins with in the past and conduct themselves as a private mafia only accountable to the local Chinese Association VIPs.

The poor child would have in all likelihood received no and I mean zero first responder care, not even the most basic of things as they have not one standard here, I blame the Doctors themselves for allowing this hedonistic practice, Them and the government. Many times if two competing crews arrive they will fight on the spot over who gets who in the back of their trucks, its a shame on a beautiful land. From there one is piled into the back of a rusty truck bed and pounded from whatever road one must travel to wherever they choose to go, while they may save some they are the death of many.

Pointing the finger at America will not work on this matter as we have the finest and most first responders ever known covering the largest first class medically covered geographical area in the history of the world, and no hospital will refuse trauma cases. May God or gods rest this poor child's departed soul and may a few good men take over and correct this horrible and disgusting circumstance. I will leave it to the apologists to debate beyond this.

To the original poster, my heart has known many sorrows here, I have no words of condolence for you to the disturbing and sorrowful loss of this baby as there are none.

This is real.........

Thoughs that don't agree need to take the rose coloured classes off. Sad I know, but it's the real Thailand, get with it.

Pointing the finger at America will not work on this matter as we have the finest and most first responders ever known covering the largest first class medically covered geographical area in the history of the world, and no hospital will refuse trauma cases.

As I said before, this truly is a tragedy. Sad in all respects.

Will this happen again? Chances are yes. Will it happen in the USA or some other country? Chances are yes. The worlds best responders and doctors cannot stop life from happening here in Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

I know it sounds cold and callus, but this is life. But when life happens to you, it becomes personal.

Pointing out Thailand short comings will not fix the situation. Thailand has more than 60 million residents. I'm sure this insn't the only tragedy happening here at this time.

The world is not perfect but it is changing everywhere for the better. For one reason or another, some places will develope faster than others.

Eventually, given enough time, we all will live in that utopia that we all dream about from time to time. Until then we have to play the hand that we are dealt and hope for the best.

Mai Krap, I agree with your sentiments up until the US flag waving, I think if you looked you would see that the same level of care is available in much of Europe and Canada. And often at a fraction of the price the uninsured pay in the US. But most systems have serious flaws which can Be traced back to astronomical prices charged by the medical industry. But no flaws can excuse what happened here.

A hospital refusing care to a trauma case is murder.

Yes Mr K, I totally understand the fact, and when I was watching the news I looked at my little one, and thought what if, and yes tears came to my eyes, so please, don't ever try and preach again to me.

Read again what I have said, then read again what has been said before my post, and search it. Too many times this forum goes through the same gut moving posts, by the same people, over the same topic, yes it's sad, and yes it bring tears, but how many more bloody times are we going to go over the same thing? If you think you can make the change, then please, I beg you, do it, fact is you can't, no one can all the time this is a Bhudist country. How can we teach safety, all the time they are thinking about the next life Some of you people forget this about Thailand, so you want to moan and greave and make the rest of us try to change the nation we are apart of? Get real, you are in Thailand, a Bhudist nation, people die, yes its sad, even more so when it's a kid. But this is not our country, don't press your views of life and death upon it...................

Sorry Rant over. :o

When you have actually lost friends; staff; and family over many years here due to base stupidity and irresponsible behaviour you're welcome to foist your flaky half-arsed opinions on me again. There are other "Bhudist" countries that don't have the appalling attitude towards safety and responsibility that exists here.

Believe it or not, at least in the industrial sectors I work in, big changes and improvements have been made in the realms of safety and awareness of the costs of selfish, irresponsible behaviour.

Its an education thing.

One thing I've learned since living here, life is cheap :o

Certain societies should perhaps focus more energy and importance on the here and now. Forget about the 'next life'... in all probability there isn't one!

RIP