Aussies and anyone w/experience there - weigh in

1FinickyOne

I have a Thai niece who is a good student, has 1.5 years worth of high school left.

At the moment, she is not sure what she wants to do but just got the idea to go to Australia... to continue school, maybe work??

I will speak to her over the weekend. Is any part of her plan reasonable? Or not? 

What hurdles may she face there?

How expensive are schools?

I don't know the details but Australia, New Zealand, and Canada have point system for immigration visa. India dominates in all countries in scoring points. Of course their first preference is USA but unfortunately USA does not have have any point system otherwise Indian would have taken it over. 

Edited by Onerak

Any young woman ( and older ones ) coming from Thailand seems to be automatically regarded as a prostitute by Australian authorities. A very convincing data set of support needs to be assembled to satisfy them, I would suggest engaging an Australian-based immigration lawyer.

Private schools are extremely expensive, the last 4 years prior to university at Haileybury one is looking at $35,920 per year.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

the last 4 years prior to university at Haileybury one is looking at $35,920 per year.

She will finish HS here. Cost for university? Visa? Living expenses? 

Government will consider an 18 year old student, who has never been anything but a student, as a prostitute? 

9 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

any numbers? Expensive is relative. 

Rent $ 160 for room

Food depends what you eat but single person $100 to 150 a week

Medication expensive, amoxy is $20 (nanny state so need script)

Doctors arent free if foreigner maybe $50 per visit dont know

Vitamins 20% cheaper

Education expensive if not aussie

Job in thai restaurant pays $80 for dinner shift 4.5 hours

Buses get student pass but be double or triple thailand

Taxis/grab double or triple thailand

Edited by Sparktrader

18 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

any numbers? Expensive is relative. 

Only milk, vitamins, cold weather fruits and things like sunscreen are cheaper in Oz. Most other things are expensive.

Room rent is $160 per week i should say. Might get cheaper if dump or share room. Lots of Thais there.

You could eat cheap if 2 minute noodles, not much meat, apples and bananas.

Mobile ph plans $45 a month with internet.

I would say you need $350 per week (8400 baht) minimum plus education costs plus insurance. 

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

I would say you need $350 per week (8400 baht) minimum plus education costs plus insurance. 

Ok Sparky - beyond costs, what do you think about it socially? Is it a better society to live in? How is it for an 18 year old girl? Is it safe? Will she have a line of Aussie guys trying to hit on her? One of your favorite posters thinks the government will brand her a prostitute... does that go throughout the society? Is there Asian prejudice? 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Ok Sparky - beyond costs, what do you think about it socially? Is it a better society to live in? How is it for an 18 year old girl? Is it safe? Will she have a line of Aussie guys trying to hit on her? One of your favorite posters thinks the government will brand her a prostitute... does that go throughout the society? Is there Asian prejudice? 

Depends what city. Oz is 70% bogan. Many racists who dont like asians. They hate Chinese more than Thai though. Sydney and Melb have heaps of nightlife but expensive.

Most Thais work in factories or restaurants or massage shops. Not viewed as hookers but lots of Oz people are arrogant bigots unless been to Asia.

I think Brisbane and Gold Coast suit Thais. Similar weather to Phuket. Not as big and expensive as Melb and Sydney.

Perth is a nice city too but isolated.

If she doesnt speak English the first 6 months be hard anywhere.

As for guys hitting on her depends if 8/10 and above. If below no.

Most 18yo guys like white girls. Most 18yo guys are racist.

If she has a Thai friend in Oz be best to live with her.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

She will finish HS here. Cost for university? Visa? Living expenses? 

Government will consider an 18 year old student, who has never been anything but a student, as a prostitute? 

Possibly even more so at 18 yo. It's a bit of bigotry/racism that seems to only apply to Thais, the Chinese and Indians don't get the same lens applied.

My son went through university about 30 years ago. At the time, he estimated about one-third of the female students were selling sex to help make ends meet.

The immigration lawyer cost me $1100 about 6 years ago. I think the tourist visa itself was $350.

Course fees are dependent on the prestige of the tertiary institution, international students pay more. These are Melbourne University fees:

https://study.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/341893/2023-International-Fee-Table_NOV.docx.pdf

Living expenses, no idea. Rents have gone through the roof, I'm glad I am not there anymore.

I think it really comes down to her ability (grades etc) and ambition.

Is she a uni grade student ? Not the end of world in Oz I didn’t go and I make more than most my mates, just the industry I lucked into.

Jobs like aged care nurses are in huge demand in Oz, but for something like that prob easier and def cheaper to train in TH then move out when say 21yo, much more practical.

Going at her age now would be difficult even with good English skills and def costly unless she has friend or relatives to stay with at least until she has a decent job.

a lot of detail about cost of living can be found on AU university websites prob more reliable than asking on here ????

Edited by UbonEagle
  • Like 1