Google Pay and Wallet Launch in Thailand

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Google pay is a totally different problem.. 

Google is just spending.. Paypal is caught up in the tax collection and unregistered illegal businesses problem..

The farangs complaining about the loss of paypal are (almost all) really complaining thier unregistered business cannot keep operating illegally and avoiding Thai taxes and laws. Theres nothing that paypal does for consumer transactions that isnt dont better by wise, only the cart, subscription, web shop integrations (which are all available to an incorporated Thai entity) that Paypal is is what they miss. 

No same same thing really. Don't have to close Farang account they could just restrict it to making payments and personal transfers.
Many Thai's also have unregistered businesses and don't pay Tax.

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I would think so as its already the case elsewhere. You need QR codes if there's no NFC. The ability to swipe your card over a terminal would also avoid that problem. 

Surprised they didn't mention it as many phones don't have NFC such as my current Redmi Note 9, need to pay a little more

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Surprised they didn't mention it as many phones don't have NFC such as my current Redmi Note 9, need to pay a little more

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge but it seems to me that they are doing this the wrong way round compared to what I've experienced in the UK. I'm guessing this is replicated elsewhere. The card containing a chip complimented the magnetic strip and presumably was superior and you entered your pin. Then came the readers that you could just swipe your card over so you only rarely needed to use your pin. Using NFC, as it became available meant the phone provided much of the security. Thailand appears to have come from the other direction in a lot of this. Making things easier for those using NFC first rather than the other way round doesn't make sense to me. 

Using QR codes between phones is great for those selling in markets ect as they don't need a separate terminal but for bigger shops it slows things down. 

I haven't needed to do it for years but I used to use my Lloyd's Bank Visa debit card to draw money from an ATM. I could also use my Sainsbury's credit card which is Mastercard. Given that Thais and foreigners can use Visa or Mastercard in Thailand and Google Wallet (Applepay as well I assume) can take money from both I can't see why it's so restricted. 

46 minutes ago, monkfish said:

No same same thing really. Don't have to close Farang account they could just restrict it to making payments and personal transfers.
Many Thai's also have unregistered businesses and don't pay Tax.

Many thais are perfectly legal as freelancers and solopreneurs.. Non Thais are not (they need company and work permit). Cant you see the difference ?? 

So far no one has named any non illegal reason for paypal not better done and or easily replaced by wise or other transfer services. Can you ?? 

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

He went too far with the muslim thing and they decided to hit him hard, unfairly, but from that you can't generalise people opposing the govt have their accounts frozen etc

I think one of the things he did was film people involved in a trial (some or all of the defendants were Muslim) as they entered the court against the rules surrounding court proceedings. The interference could have been used to claim the defendants had been denied a fair trial thereby preventing their prosecution. Something I doubt he'd thought of. 

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

As long as your phone is charged up and has a 4g/5g sim card, why would a power cut affect it?

But I'm with you on preferring cash, especially given that some of my spending wouldn't look too good on my monthly credit card statement.

Some girls have now a QR code tattooed and to pay them, just scan the code and pay.
Ask your bank to put it through as "somtum" for the wife.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bluejets said:

Sorry but cannot even remotely imagine flopping out a phone or a card for that matter, to pay for 20baht items at the local market or street food in say Bkk.

Worldwide one could imagine many places where this "cashless bulldust" simply will not work.

Yuppies gone mad, and most run the countries sadly.

Yuppy means "Young, Urban Professional". The complete antithesis of the people that run most countries. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He went too far with the muslim thing and they decided to hit him hard, unfairly, but from that you can't generalise people opposing the govt have their accounts frozen etc

Reporting on rapists , that’s too far is it . Remember he wasn’t the first one to report it but the only to get prosecuted for it , like I said ,control 

Edited by Foghorn

7 hours ago, bluejets said:

Sorry but cannot even remotely imagine flopping out a phone or a card for that matter, to pay for 20baht items at the local market or street food in say Bkk.

Many food carts in Udon have a pay by phone facility, i.e. QR code, for micro payments. Vendors are happy to accept it and Thais welcome the convenience of paying that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

So far no one has named any non illegal reason for paypal not better done and or easily replaced by wise or other transfer services. Can you ?? 

• Wise has 10 million users, PayPal has 325 million
  • Wise serves 70+ countries, PayPal serves 190+
  • Wise doesn’t integrate eCommerce Online payments, PayPal does

https://thedigitalmerchant.com/ecommerce/payment-processing/wise-vs-paypal/

Wise may be fine or even better for transfers and buying but not so good for eCommerce.

Edited by rabas

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Many thais are perfectly legal as freelancers and solopreneurs.. Non Thais are not (they need company and work permit). Cant you see the difference ?? 

I use Paypal to pay for just about everything online where passable as it's much easier and safer, quicker ( for refunds) than using a Credit Card also many monthly Internet services which are deducted from my Paypal account automatically each month. Can Wise do that? What can I pay for with Wise? Didn't think so. Also with Paypal you have a clear breakdown on what you have spent and what for. Try making sense of a Thai Banks Credit Card invoice if you can. I don't know anything can I?  Like I said in my previous post Paypal should allow foreigners to keep there accounts with only the ability at least to Pay. 

2 hours ago, monkfish said:

I use Paypal to pay for just about everything online where passable as it's much easier and safer, quicker ( for refunds) than using a Credit Card also many monthly Internet services which are deducted from my Paypal account automatically each month. Can Wise do that? What can I pay for with Wise? Didn't think so. Also with Paypal you have a clear breakdown on what you have spent and what for. Try making sense of a Thai Banks Credit Card invoice if you can. I don't know anything can I?  Like I said in my previous post Paypal should allow foreigners to keep there accounts with only the ability at least to Pay. 

er yes.. You can pay for anything that takes a debit card or bank transfer.. You can set up subscriptions to pay automatically.. It also gives you virtual bank account numbers in many currencies to be paid by others etc etc Theres statements in each currency or grouped together.. 

Really.. Perhaps try these services before saying they dont do what they clearly do, to prevent appearing foolish.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Wise may be fine or even better for transfers and buying but not so good for eCommerce.

this is the whole point.. A non Thai operating eCommerce within Thailand is breaking labour law unless they have incorporated and have a work permit for that work, where the company then charges sales tax and pays corporate taxation.. In which case the incorporated entity can obtain a paypal account.

You just made my exact point for me. The only thing that Paypal actually does better, ecommerce integrations, are not legal for a non Thai to be doing here. 

Edited by LivinLOS

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

er yes.. You can pay for anything that takes a debit card or bank transfer.. You can set up subscriptions to pay automatically.. It also gives you virtual bank account numbers in many currencies to be paid by others etc etc Theres statements in each currency or grouped together.. 

Really.. Perhaps try these services before saying they dont do what they clearly do, to prevent appearing foolish.. 

I don't know any company which accept payment through Wise could please you educate me as to which online companies do accept payment through wise so I don't look like a fool again thank you?

• Haha 1

I read on the Bangkok Post FB page that BB  and KTB Visa or Mastercard debit cards were accepted for Google Wallet, not just credit cards.

Has anyone signed up for Google Wallet using a debit card? Or can confirm that its credit cards only?

Edited by H1w4yR1da

52 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I don't know any company which accept payment through Wise could please you educate me as to which online companies do accept payment through wise so I don't look like a fool again thank you?

Any company that pays by bank.. Can pay wise.. 

Any company that takes visa / mastercard.. Or any company that accepts bank transfers... Can be paid by wise.. Wise debit also can be added to google Pay so any company that takes GPay phone payments also.. 

So bank transfers and debit cards and cashless/Phone.. you dont know any companies that accept those ?? 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, H1w4yR1da said:

I read on the Bangkok Post website that BB  and KTB Visa or Mastercard debit cards were accepted for Google Wallet, not just credit cards.

Has anyone signed up for Google Wallet using a debit card? Or can confirm that its credit cards only?

Just tested Kasikorn debit.. Wont take it.. Thats only the second card out of maybe 20 I have tried its not accepted. 

Will be a bank issue.. My citi offshore wont link also. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Just tested Kasikorn debit.. Wont take it.. Thats only the second card out of maybe 20 I have tried its not accepted. 

Will be a bank issue.. My citi offshore wont link also. 

It seems only Thai issued credit cards are being accepted at this time.

28 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Any company that pays by bank.. Can pay wise.. 

Any company that takes visa / mastercard.. Or any company that accepts bank transfers... Can be paid by wise.. Wise debit also can be added to google Pay so any company that takes GPay phone payments also.. 

So bank transfers and debit cards and cashless/Phone.. you dont know any companies that accept those ?? 

It's not really a good idea to pay for online goods by Bank Transfer as you get Zero buyer protection and Wise doesn't issue Debit Cards to users in Thailand and most companies don't accept BT. Anyway why even use Wise you can just use a Thai Credit Card or Bank to transfer but I think you miss the point as to why Paypal is just more convenient but never mind. P.s a lot of criminals are using Wise to launder cash so I expect Thailand will crack down on that soon.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bluejets said:

Worldwide one could imagine many places where this "cashless bulldust" simply will not work.

Yuppies gone mad, and most run the countries sadly.

Those instances are more cash oriented but shops with terminals would really benefit from the likes of Google- and Apple-pay. It is infinitely faster and more convenient, esp for grocery shopping. Found I didn’t need my wallet for weeks on end back in the world. But of course harder for the old folk and dinosaurs to adopt… counting out their coppers to get the exact price holding everyone up.

15 hours ago, lujanit said:

Yesterday I was in a shop and the guy in front of me was trying to pay with his phone.  After five minutes I gave up and walked out of the shop.  This is not the first time this has been reported.

There are obviously still plenty of problems with this method of payment.

That is infuriating but is not the method being discussed here. The QR code thing is often slower than cash. 

7 hours ago, DrJoy said:

It seems only Thai issued credit cards are being accepted at this time.

Try your western cards.. I must have 20 cards in it credit, debit, corp expense cards, etc etc.. All have different purposes and uses. 

Its a godsend replaces a card wallet thats over an inch thick. 

7 hours ago, monkfish said:

It's not really a good idea to pay for online goods by Bank Transfer as you get Zero buyer protection and Wise doesn't issue Debit Cards to users in Thailand and most companies don't accept BT. Anyway why even use Wise you can just use a Thai Credit Card or Bank to transfer but I think you miss the point as to why Paypal is just more convenient but never mind. P.s a lot of criminals are using Wise to launder cash so I expect Thailand will crack down on that soon.

I am still waiting for the non illegal use case of paypal that cannot be easily replaced. 

99% of the paypal complainers are really just illegal eCommerce workers avoiding taxes and registration. Is it surprising the Thai government want to stop that ? 

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I am still waiting for the non illegal use case of paypal that cannot be easily replaced. 

99% of the paypal complainers are really just illegal eCommerce workers avoiding taxes and registration. Is it surprising the Thai government want to stop that ? 

What are you talking about 99% where did you get that number?
Do you have some source or just like judging others?
Next time look in the mirror and judge yourself.

2 hours ago, monkfish said:

What are you talking about 99% where did you get that number?
Do you have some source or just like judging others?
Next time look in the mirror and judge yourself.

the ones I have talked to and debated with online.. 

Still waiting for a fully legal thing that cannot be easily replicated by other services.. You have any ?? No one else seems to have come up with one. 

The primary thing that paypal offered exclusively was eCommerce services for small time operators.. Which are rarely legal (and if they were could obtain a business paypal). 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

We had a long power cut in my area yesterday. So if you wanted to use the internet to pay, forget it. Paper works, always, every time, never needs an internet connection. But having something that works all the time is so retro and only for dinosaurs.

Paper will keep working regardless of digital methods so what's your point? No one's preventing you from using cash.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, lujanit said:

Yesterday I was in a shop and the guy in front of me was trying to pay with his phone.  After five minutes I gave up and walked out of the shop.  This is not the first time this has been reported.

There are obviously still plenty of problems with this method of payment.

Works fine for me. Payments happen within a second. Much faster than fiddling with coins by most people.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:16 AM, JonnyF said:

As long as your phone is charged up and has a 4g/5g sim card, why would a power cut affect it?

But I'm with you on preferring cash, especially given that some of my spending wouldn't look too good on my monthly credit card statement.

Actually your phone doesn't even need a data connection for NFC payments. That's a huge advantage over QR payments.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, ArnieP said:

Many food carts in Udon have a pay by phone facility, i.e. QR code, for micro payments. Vendors are happy to accept it and Thais welcome the convenience of paying that way.

QR is fine but quite cumbersome. Requires a data connection, opening an app, enterinf an amount and showing the payment slip to the vendor. NFC payments don't require any of this. Unlock your phone, hold it close to the payment terminal and done. Faster than anything else even cash.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, rabas said:

I've been using Wise with Google Wallet for a while now in Thailand. Works great. I can leave most of my money abroad now. I convert to Thai baht in my account when the exchange rate is optimal and just leave my baht there. The less money I need to send to my Thai bank account the better.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:03 AM, Paradise Pete said:

Is there a list of countries where this has happened?

Paypal is pretty much global. They had a policy where they could fine users $2,500 for "misinformation", and I think we all know what woke silicon valley big tech meant when they say "misinformation". Terrifying really that they thought they were so powerful they could slip this clause into the T&A.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-paypal-misinformation-fine-idUSL1N31C27R

And let's be clear, Reuters gives the impression it was accidentally done, but firms like Paypal will have teams of lawyers drawing up the legal agreements. Nothing is by "accident" other than them getting caught.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AgentSmith said:
On 11/17/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

We had a long power cut in my area yesterday. So if you wanted to use the internet to pay, forget it. Paper works, always, every time, never needs an internet connection. But having something that works all the time is so retro and only for dinosaurs.

Paper will keep working regardless of digital methods so what's your point? No one's preventing you from using cash.

There are increasingly places that no longer accept cash. So yes, there are people preventing me from using it, and that will only increase over time. I prefer to shop where all customers are catered for instead of being dictated to.

• Like 1