U.S. SSA Form 7162 delivery difficulties

Pronto2

I called SSA (800-772-1213) last week. Not too bad. Only a 30 minute wait. They were unable to verify the receipt of the 7162. They don't have access to that department. But they were able to look at my account and see that a second 7162 was not mailed to me. And they confirmed that there were no problems with my account.
So if you're concerned about loosing SSA benefits you can call to check the status of your account.

Edited by cgros
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2022 at 12:48 PM, OneZero said:

Received today from FBU Manila (quote):

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

We understand that you have received the reporting form SSA-7162 / SSA-7161. To avoid the suspension of your benefits, please complete the form as soon as possible and mail it back to Wilkes-Barre, PA using the enclosed business reply envelope. We recommend using regular postal mail, as registered mail and some courier services may be unable to deliver to a P.O. box. It is not necessary to send a copy of the form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila. To ensure that your benefits continue without interruption, please do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

I just received the same message from them after emailing to them explaining what happened and attached copies of the completed form.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2022 at 11:21 PM, Jingthing said:

I doubt it.

They can tell you if it's in the system - that's all.

They told me the 7162 Operations Center does not receive mail; rather they pick it up at the post office box.

I mailed my 7162 in July by EMS to 7162 post office box, November received 2nd notice, contacted 7162 and form not recorded in system.

Sent 2nd form via DHL ($35) to a friend in Florida on Nov. 25, received on Nov. 28, remailed certified via USPS to 7162 post office box on Nov. 29, USPS confirmation of "Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Post Office on Dec. 1st.

Will call SSN end of Dec. to verify if in system.

I considered Letterstream.com but emailing the firm containing SSN, signature, bank information, residence address was too much for me having US credit/debit cards and bank accounts that might attract identity theft. LS does mot have a secure message system.

But now I'm thinking I could use my VPN with US gateway to email envelope and forms to LS? 

Such a FUSTERCLUCKYet so typical. SSA has a special requirement for recipients living abroad, but then they fail to follow thru on their end and blame/punish us for them not doing their job. 

Just received my first SS benefit payment this month after a 4+ month wait for approval. Was relieved and thrilled it was finally approved without any further questions, info, documents or phone interviews necessary....AND NOW HAVE THIS BS TO LOOK FORWARD TO. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Such a FUSTERCLUCKYet so typical. SSA has a special requirement for recipients living abroad, but then they fail to follow thru on their end and blame/punish us for them not doing their job. 

Just received my first SS benefit payment this month after a 4+ month wait for approval. Was relieved and thrilled it was finally approved without any further questions, info, documents or phone interviews necessary....AND NOW HAVE THIS BS TO LOOK FORWARD TO. ????

Every year.

10 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Just curious,  does going paperless and signing up for their online Service help eliminate this problem? 

Would be nice, but have had a MySS online account and been paperless since these options became available. Have looked but not seen anywhere (or how) this can be done online. It's ridiculous, but seems old school snail-mail is presently still the only way. ????

I responded to the first notice months ago and tracking showed it had reached. Still got a second one early last month which I responded to as well.

Just to be sure I emailed copies of the second form to both Manila and PA. Then I called Manila couple of days ago and the woman said they had found me in their system and not to worry. Not sure what was in the system, the first one or second, but fingers crossed in any case that I'll come to no harm.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Every year.

Just asking being online although not available 24/7 I get all my notices in an email to inform about changes, increased, even my 1099 tax form.  

They know what or when you last log on isn't this form to see if you still alive or not?  

Sure there can be loopholes but they do send you a code prior to accessing account..

10 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Just curious,  does going paperless and signing up for their online Service help eliminate this problem? 

Nope..  Whether you have an online acct or not....or if having an online acct and setting the paperless option the 7161/7162 is still snail mailed.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I am having difficulty with this form (SSA 7162).  The system is broken so I emailed my Senator (copied below) please feel free to copy and email your Senator and keep our fingers crossed.

Subj:  Problem: SSAs Archaic System for Form 7162

Dear Senator Rosen, I am a Nevada absentee voter temporarily living overseas.  I am 70 years old and on Social Security.  The SSA mails out a form to those overseas receiving benefits which must be returned to them or their benefits are jeopardized.  The problem is they only allow returning it to their PO Box so that rules out using tracking services such as FedEx or DHL.  I sent mine on Nov 23rd via EMS mail but that tracking stopped after it left Thailand and was not picked up by USPS.  This is an important form to get returned or they cut you off.  Why can't SSA have a normal street address to return these forms instead of a PO Box?  Also we have no way of knowing if it was received.  So as backup I have also sent another 7162 to them by regular airmail from Thailand. Why can't they send us a secure message in 'My Social Security' letting us know that it was recveived.  I called the SSA office in Reno (where I applied for benefits) and the Rep did not even know what that form was.  The Rep gave me another number in Wilkes Barre PA (where the form goes) but I called there and they said it was the wrong office.  Please help us with this nightmare bureaucracy.  Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like others, I've had the same problem with a second notice to return the form so it's not an isolated case by any means.

The way things are going, either the day will come when you won't get your payment or if you do, the US dollar will be worthless and you won't be able to buy anything with it.  Don't believe me, wait and see. 

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:19 PM, HuskerDo2 said:

Can you FedEx it to a friend in the US and just have them drop it in the US mail for you? It should get to the P.O. Box with no issues.

You can "should" in one hand and s*h*t* in the other, and see which hand gets full first! ????
That's a clever idea, but still doesn't provide much "security" that the form gets where it is going.  I bet that if your benefits get cut off, it will take a looooong time to sort it out even if you have proof up the wazoo.

Edited by rexall
typo
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 11:15 PM, RhodeIslandRed said:

I have sent the first SSA form a few months ago by registered mail from BKK and the SSA never picked it up until 2 months later as I had tracking on it. In the meantime I sent a copy of the same form by regular air mail and told them this was a duplicate since they didn't pick up the first one on time. Now a few days ago I get a second notice to send it in again which I did yesterday by airmail again but not registered....BTW Fed Ex will take a PO Box as long as you have a local phone number for the recipient.

All in all I think the SSA is not picking up their mail or are short staffed and therefore the computer generated mailings just go out as timed. So, I have sent 3 forms to them hoping one of them has been accounted for........another mess in the US just like the IRS....and I don't think Manila will be much help either

I have the same problem with "disappearing" registered mail I send to the IRS as well.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:26 AM, Srikcir said:

I emailed FBUManila in July 2022 about emailing or mailing my 7162 to them. Response was it must be mailed to Wilkes Barre. No email accepted. So I mailed it EMS (tracked only to US port of entry) to Wilkes Barr. Today I received my Second Notice to file.

And registered mail is expensive enough at B350.  I just send second request by EMS, B1,550.  The B350 is mostly just an annoyance, but B1,550 is a real consideration, especially if it doesn't work!

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 7:43 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Curious - can you give power of attorney for just this issue to a family member so they can send it in each year?

Who knows?  But I would guess NO!  That is what the form is for; preventing your girlfriend from continuing to collect your benefits after you croak!  The form is known colloquially as "Proof of Life Form." ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:13 AM, Pronto2 said:

This is something that I am considering, actually.  By chance and luck, a friend from the U.S. will visit next week for a short vacation.  I had been thinking of asking him to carry it back with him and put it in the mail there.  I'm wondering if the actual post mark (then being the U.S. and not Thailand) would raise their eyebrows any.  Yes, I know - maybe a bit odd to worry about that, but with their quite confused operation, who knows!

That could work, "should" work.  However, for peace of mind, there needs to be some way to reliably (and preferably easily) verify that the form actually got into the system.  

BTW, does anyone know anyone whose benefits were actually cut off? The whole thing is probably just a big anxiety trip.  But who needs more anxiety when you are an old fart, right?

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, thirdculture said:

I sent it EMS tracking in mid-August...it languished in International (United States) for TWO MONTHS until finally on 10/20 it was delivered!!  What the...!!!

In the meantime, like so many others I called US SS and my local SS in US.  I contacted Manila.  I had the Thai post office track it and they reported it was lost.  Time, time, time and worry! ????

Can I now assume all is well or should I verify with someone that my 7162 is received e.g. my local SS in US (they were quite responsive when I called them on 11/3 - they looked in their system and reported to me my 7162 was not received)?

It just occurs to me atter reading most of this thread, that a additional layer of protection might be to email  FBU in Manila with the tracking number, offering to provide a scan if required.  That way, in the unlikely event you get an interruption of benefits, you will have covered your ass backwards and forwards, which "may" help with a quicker reinstatement.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:29 PM, Zenwind said:

I don't have much success either sending or receiving mail here in Nonthaburi, but I did receive that SSA mailing earlier this year. I mailed the form and its envelope to my sister in the USA via DHL, and she re-mailed it to SSA. (Although she said the DHL envelope had been opened.) She remailed it Registered. 

What is even scarier is if they mail you a second notice ... but you never get it.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, Pronto2 said:

The date on my 2nd notice reads:  "Second Request  Oct. 27, 2022"   I am in Chiang Mai.

Same.  Oct 27, 2022.  I am in Khon Kaen (but I wish I was in Chiang Mai!)

22 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Would appreciate knowing which phone number you called.

thanjs, ~o:37;

+ 63 25301-2000. If I remember correctly the embassy website says benefits calls should be between 8-11am Tues/Th. Manila is Bkk+1hr.

The hold wasn't long (vs. the US no. which I never got through despite multiple attempts) and the woman was pleasant so it seems to be the most efficient option for live help.

25 minutes ago, rexall said:

That could work, "should" work.  However, for peace of mind, there needs to be some way to reliably (and preferably easily) verify that the form actually got into the system.  

BTW, does anyone know anyone whose benefits were actually cut off? The whole thing is probably just a big anxiety trip.  But who needs more anxiety when you are an old fart, right?

People definitely are cut off.

Here's another option for those like myself who are seeking confirmation of the Form 7162/7161 being entered into their Social Security records.

On November 21st I emailed Manila FBU using their online form and requested verification that my form 7162 having been documented in my file.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form

Today I received their response -

Some background of my contact with Social Security the past 5 months -

Because I planned to travel on vacation away from Thailand in July I decided to download a copy of Form 7162 and send by registered airmail.This was delivered and signed for on July 5th 2022.

On September 14th I called the Social Security Office and spoke with a representative who verified my form 7162 was in my "Evidence Based File" Still, he thought it best if I ever received the original Form mailed to me, to return it by mail to their office. In addition, he told me to call the Social Security Office and notify them I had mailed the form to them.

This left me perplexed, on one hand he's telling a form 7162 is entered in my records but yet it would be a good idea to mail back the original form from Social Security.

That's the reason I decided to contact Manila FBU.

Note in their response, "You were sent a second form "

I never returned the original Form 7162 sent to me by Social Security because obviously I wasn't there to receive it.

They've only received my downloaded copy on July 5th.

Why was a second notice sent to me if my Form 7162 was already accepted? (I don't know the exact date it was accepted but at least by September 14th when I called them)

I understand that the second notice  mailed out was dated October 27th.There should have been plenty of time for the processing of my form 7162 before the cutoff date of mailing second notices.

This makes me wonder if others like myself are being sent unnecessary second notices because their Form 7162 is already entered into their records.

I'm thankful for Manila FBU's assistance, in my experience it's worth a try to contact them.

Screenshot_20221209_161311.thumb.jpg.e2db117b53a05b7af6ec752664486e54.jpg