U.S. SSA Form 7162 delivery difficulties

Pronto2

Has anyone else had difficulty recently in successfully delivering the U.S.  Social Security Form 7162 to the SSA p.o. box in Wilkes-Barre, PA?  Some months ago, I (like most other U.S. retirees) received the form, signed it, and put it into Thai Post EMS.  With tracking I could note when it reached the U.S., but there it sat in "international arrivals" or some such designation, just collecting dust.  Thai Post did fine; but the pathetic USPS simply lost the envelope or just gave up.  

Now, of course, I've received the "second notice" from SSA, and now after the month(!) it took to arrive here, I now have 15 days to get this second one over to them in Wilkes-Barre.  Has this happened to anyone else and, if so, what deliverly method did you use?  I understand that the couriers (DHL, FedEx, etc.) will not / cannot deliver to post office boxes.  I have actually found the physical address of the SSA in Wilkes-Barre and am wondering and considering courier-ing it to the office rather than the po box.  Thanks for any help from anyone else who has run afowl of the bumbling USPS.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I once had a registered letter to Wilkes Barre returned as undeliverable even though I used the envelope that came with the 7162 form. It got as far as the USPS facility in New York and was then sent back to me. 

Back in July, I emailed the FBU in Manila with a scan of my completed 7162 attached and mentioned that I was going to send the original by post to Wilkes Barre. They replied that it was not necessary to send the original. You might try emailing them with a scan along with an explanation of your situation. Perhaps also send a copy by regular airmail to Wilkes Barre.

[email protected]

I emailed FBUManila in July 2022 about emailing or mailing my 7162 to them. Response was it must be mailed to Wilkes Barre. No email accepted. So I mailed it EMS (tracked only to US port of entry) to Wilkes Barr. Today I received my Second Notice to file.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rwill said:

The wife and I have never received this form.  So far no interuption in our payments.  Should I submit one anyway?

I think I received one maybe 15 years ago. I believe that are sent out random or may maybe special cases. As long as they have your contact address you don't have to worry.

• Thumbs Up 1

I sent the form by Thai Post Registered Mail.  It  took a l while to get there.  But arrived no problem.  
I suggest you go to the US Embassy website in Bangkok.  They have an SSA office in Manila.  You can email them explaining the issue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

The National Number for the SSA is 1-800-772-1213. Might be worth a call to explain the situation and find a resolution.

My experience with folks at that number - once you explain to those <deleted><deleted><deleted> you live in Thailand, their instant response is you have to deal with the PI office. I called several times, thinking a different agent might help me. Nope, typical overworked underpaid bureaucrats. And they were RUDE about it!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Can you FedEx it to a friend in the US and just have them drop it in the US mail for you? It should get to the P.O. Box with no issues.

This is something that I am considering, actually.  By chance and luck, a friend from the U.S. will visit next week for a short vacation.  I had been thinking of asking him to carry it back with him and put it in the mail there.  I'm wondering if the actual post mark (then being the U.S. and not Thailand) would raise their eyebrows any.  Yes, I know - maybe a bit odd to worry about that, but with their quite confused operation, who knows!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RhodeIslandRed said:

BTW Fed Ex will take a PO Box as long as you have a local phone number for the recipient....and I don't think Manila will be much help either

I did not know this about FedEx - I did not see anything on their website that indicated it.  And, I agree about Manila.  When the tracking for my first submission showed the mailing to have stopped at the international arrival place in the U.S., I emailed Manila.  Their reply was basically - 'sorry, can't do anything to help'.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Manila has this formal form now to initiate contact. Form 7162 issues is an option on the drop down menu but there isn't a way to include a file there. I think it might be good to start with the form and then hope they reply and if they want a scan, they would presumably email and request it. 

FBU Inquiry Form - U.S. Embassy in the Philippines (usembassy.gov)

Thanks!  Will give it a try for sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

The wife and I have never received this form.  So far no interuption in our payments.  Should I submit one anyway?

I'm going to guess you do "not" have your Thailand address on-file with the SSA; but have your U.S. mailing address on-file with SSA. 

If so, that's why neither of you have been getting the annual 7162 since the 7162 is sent to those with overseas addresses on-file.   Those with U.S. addresses do not get the annual form unless maybe you are at least 90 years old.

• Thanks 2

Have not read all thread but had bank deposit letter held up for several weeks using EMS in the past - such mail must have postmasters signature at destination PO Box and if he is not present will not be delivered.  I know normal mail has not been much of an option during covid but perhaps now available again.  But using a US service to send regular mail such as above Www.letterstream.com seems to be the best bet.

• Like 2

I sent it EMS tracking in mid-August...it languished in International (United States) for TWO MONTHS until finally on 10/20 it was delivered!!  What the...!!!

In the meantime, like so many others I called US SS and my local SS in US.  I contacted Manila.  I had the Thai post office track it and they reported it was lost.  Time, time, time and worry! :(

Can I now assume all is well or should I verify with someone that my 7162 is received e.g. my local SS in US (they were quite responsive when I called them on 11/3 - they looked in their system and reported to me my 7162 was not received)?