U.S. SSA Form 7162 delivery difficulties

Pronto2

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

Well if you don't send it by registered mail you have know way of knowing if it was received, until you don't get paid because they never got it. Taking a chance by sending with no tracking proof

I re-sent it regular Airmail, emailed a copy and faxed one as well. Hopefully someone got it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Posting to get confirmation on the dates.

What is the last day they need to record the form to avoid benefits cutoff?

My understanding is that if you don’t get your February check, you've been cut off.

Is that correct?

I can’t speak of the last date for your submission to avoid benefits suspension but Yes, if you don’t receive your February benefit you have most likely not been recorded as having submitted the form

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Posting to get confirmation on the dates.

What is the last day they need to record the form to avoid benefits cutoff?

My understanding is that if you don’t get your February check, you've been cut off.

Is that correct?

Sometime in January is when one SSA department generates a non-responder file that is sent to another SSA department to send out the suspension notices.  Exactly when in January is probably variable but I expect (guess) it would be right after the 3 Jan foreign payment is made.....be the first half of January.   See SSA regulation weblink and partial quote at bottom.

So, I expect if Wilkes Barre receives "and scans" a person's form before that early-mid January non-responder file is created that the person would be good-to-go.   And I have no doubt that a lot of people take some vacation days during the holidays period which runs the last week or Dec thru the first week of Jan.....so, the processing of forms at Wilkes Barre might be slower than normal during that period.....OR, maybe that is one task Wilkes Barre maintains as a priority task due to possible impact on the beneficiary....who knows.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655010

image.png.0be491a0570749f0feafb61a021f8ab6.png

• Thanks 1

Explain how this works? <deleted> is it doing in GA

Moving Through Network

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

ATLANTA-PEACHTREE GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 19, 2022, 11:01 am

In Transit to Next Facility

December 14, 2022

JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 10, 2022, 11:24 pm

Inbound Into Customs

Processed Through Facility

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

December 10, 2022, 7:20 pm

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE (SMC), THAILAND

November 24, 2022, 2:17 pm

Acceptance

THAILAND

November 23, 2022, 2:47 pm

lain how this works?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Sent a parcel East in The States once and it ended up going West (WAY west), before finally making it's way back on it's correct course and arriving at proper destination, albeit a bit late. 

weird thing is sent both the wifes and mine in at the same time, both made it too NY, one was accepted in PA on the 14th and on the 19th the other one is in GA, have to love the postal service - 555

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 5:20 AM, flexomike said:

Explain how this works? <deleted> is it doing in GA

Moving Through Network

ATLANTA-PEACHTREE GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 19, 2022, 11:01 am

In Transit to Next Facility

December 14, 2022

JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 10, 2022, 11:24 pm

Inbound Into Customs

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

December 10, 2022, 7:20 pm

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE (SMC), THAILAND

November 24, 2022, 2:17 pm

Acceptance

THAILAND

November 23, 2022, 2:47 pm

lain how this works?

You are not even close. It has to go to Wilkes-Barre, PA (where it will sit for two months at the P.O. because you sent it registered). Apparently they are short-handed and only collect the registered post every two months.

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

You are not even close. It has to go to Wilkes-Barre, PA (where it will sit for two months at the P.O. because you sent it registered). Apparently they are short-handed and only collect the registered post every two months.

one of the two I sent was received at the PO Box on the 14th and accepted the same day, amazing, the other one just made it too the PO box on the 22nd and is still sitting there, should make it by next year - 555

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, elektrified said:

I'm sure the "....short-handled and only collect the registered post every two months" is not correct".  I expect the SSA sends a rep several times a week or maybe daily to pickup mail.   

But I do know that registered mail (or regular mail) can reach the post office as shown in tracking but is actually not  available for pickup/final delivery until the post office completes the final "internal" processing of the mail. 

Like say 20 bags of mail consisting of thousands of pieces of mail were delivered to the post office and now the post office must move that mail from the bags and placed in the actual P.O. Boxes or passed to the mailman for delivery on his route.    This is a USPS bottleneck and not a problem with the SSA. 

Or maybe said another way kinda like how a grocery store receives pallets upon pallets of grocery goods at its store which initially go into the store's back storage area, but until those pallets in the storage area are unpacked and the goods put on the shelves accessible to the customers those goods are not available to the customers   Yeap...the goods are indeed at the store now but not fully processed/moved to where the customer can get them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm sure the "....short-handled and only collect the registered post every two months" is not correct".  I expect the SSA sends a rep several times a week or maybe daily to pickup mail.   

But I do know that registered mail (or regular mail) can reach the post office as shown in tracking but is actually not  available for pickup/final delivery until the post office completes the final "internal" processing of the mail. 

Like say 20 bags of mail consisting of thousands of pieces of mail were delivered to the post office and now the post office must move that mail from the bags and placed in the actual P.O. Boxes or passed to the mailman for delivery on his route.    This is a USPS bottleneck and not a problem with the SSA. 

Or maybe said another way kinda like how a grocery store receives pallets upon pallets of grocery goods at its store which initially go into the store's back storage area, but until those pallets in the storage area are unpacked and the goods put on the shelves accessible to the customers those goods are not available to the customers   Yeap...the goods are indeed at the store now but not fully processed/moved to where the customer can get them.

You may be right, however...

Regardless the reason(s), it's totally unacceptable on the part of the US Government...whichever branch or department is to blame. And SSA should have taken notice of this chronic problem LONG ago and fixed it LONG ago. Not only is it not fixed, but seemingly getting worse. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 7:00 PM, Pib said:

Just as a 7162/7161 refresher regarding the 1st, 2nd, and Suspension notices and how different SSA departments such as Wilkes Barre, Office of Int'l Ops in Baltimore, Manila FBU, etc., fit in the process, the two SSA Program Operations Manual System (POMS) weblinks shown at the bottom spell it out.   POMS is what the SSA calls its operating instructions.   

And from review of the two POMS you'll see there is a combination of automated and manual activities occur that determine if a person ends up on the suspended list and it varies a little depending on whether it's a 7162 or 7161. 

You will notice that if a person is suspended the FBU, like the Manila FBU, is the key department in trying to resolve the problem but of course that means they need to be able to contact you and all they got to go on is your address, phone number and email on-file (correct or outdated).  And I doubt they would try to contact you by email or call....and probably not by mail since no response to the 7162/7161 notices has occurred (although you may have mail a form back it just never made it to Wilkes Barre or didn't make it in time).  Instead they are probably going to wait for you to contact them.  So, it's pretty much up to the individual to contact the FBU to get off the suspended list (not to imply contacting the Office of Int'l Ops in Baltimore might not work also).  

The Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire (FEQ) Process.   FEQ is the SSA's fancy name for the 7161/7162 forms.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655010

What Wilkes Barre Does

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655007

I have contacted the Office of Int'l Ops via the link on their website- [email protected]- 3x over the past 3 months and have received NO response.

I have tried numerous times to contact the Manila FBU via THEIR online https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form; after filling in all the information requested/required, after hitting the "Submit" button, I only receive this in response:

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 06.16.54.png

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I have tried numerous times to contact the Manila FBU via THEIR online https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form; after filling in all the information requested/required, after hitting the "Submit" button, I only receive this in response:

I had a little success contacting Manila via email using [email protected]. When sending them three questions, their first response would unsuccessfully attempt to answer the first question and ignore the others.  I would eventually get relevant answers through repeated exchanges.

Edited by gamb00ler

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I have contacted the Office of Int'l Ops via the link on their website- [email protected]- 3x over the past 3 months and have received NO response.

The access denied problem could be caused by a problem on your end.  See weblink below for possible solutions.  And if  possible try using a different device (I.e., different computer browser,  phone browser, etc).

https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/fix-access-denied-you-dont-have-permission-to-access-on-this-server-on-windows-10

Also you can call the Manila SSA FBU at their Philippines phone number or their "U.S. phone numbers".. US numbers but rings at the Manila Embassy, listen to interactive menu, then press 3 for the SSA FBU but only on Tuesday and Thursday 8am to 11am Manila date/time.  The US numbers are 202-370-6642/6497.  I just tried calling both from my US number and they both worked....rang/answered at the Manila Embassy.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Pib said:

I just tried calling both from my US number and they both worked....rang/answered at the Manila Embassy.

Thanks for this informative post !  A few years ago, I made numerous attempts to call the Manila unit from CM (after they cut pff my benefits ... assumed I was dead ?),  and they never answered. Currently, I am paranoid that, once again, in the bowels of the SSA I am considered "dead."

Yet, I sent in the #7162; did not receive a termination notice; did receive a notice of 2023 benefits ... and, this month's payment came on 01/03.

I feel the need to tell the SSA I am "alive" ???? But, how to confirm I am "alive" ? How to stop thinking I may be in a remake of Terry Gilliam's  Brazil ?

sleeplessly, ~o:37;

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

The access denied problem could be caused by a problem on your end.  See weblink below for possible solutions.  And if  possible try using a different device (I.e., different computer browser,  phone browser, etc).

https://softwarekeep.com/help-center/fix-access-denied-you-dont-have-permission-to-access-on-this-server-on-windows-10

Also you can call the Manila SSA FBU at their Philippines phone number or their "U.S. phone numbers".. US numbers but rings at the Manila Embassy, listen to interactive menu, then press 3 for the SSA FBU but only on Tuesday and Thursday 8am to 11am Manila date/time.  The US numbers are 202-370-6642/6497.  I just tried calling both from my US number and they both worked....rang/answered at the Manila Embassy.

Thanks for the tip! Except I am using Apple IOS/OS, not Windows...;(

Edited by jeffandgop

On 1/11/2023 at 10:43 AM, Pib said:

Thanks for the SSA Manila "U.S. phone numbers"=> 202-370-6642/6497. I called their Manila number this morning during their office hours but whenever they started putting me on call, my call invariably dropped...I was calling on skype from my desktop so I don't know whether that had anything to do with it or was it problem at the Manila end (6 attempts.)

On the other hand, I wonder if you have any experiences/difficulties calling SSA Pennsylvania => 800-772-1213? I called on skype during (their) office hours and the robot told me it can't transfer my call to a live person because the office was closed. It's the 1-800-1213 number and I called around 11 am Tuesday their time  (Tuesday night BKK time.) I tried repeatedly telling the robot that I would like to talk to a live person (by pressing "0") and it told me "office is not open at this hour" and to call back during business hours...I just tried again tonight 9pm Thu BKK time at the opening of their office hours (9am Thu their time) to same result. If you have any other suggestion or how to get around this issue that would help me a lot, thanks.

14 minutes ago, watthong said:

On the other hand, I wonder if you have any experiences/difficulties calling SSA Pennsylvania => 800-772-1213? I called on skype during (their) office hours

I use my Google Voice number to call SSA @ their 800 number.  My GV number is in the Pacific time zone.  If I call SSA before 8AM in the Pacific time zone, I am told the SSA office is not yet open.  I then call SSA again but prefix the SSA number with *67 (in other words, I dial *67 800 772 1213) I am then able to request connection to a representative.

The code *67 is supposed to hide your phone number from the call recipient.  It's not supposed to work when calling toll free numbers, but it seems to work when calling SSA.

For info: https://www.lifewire.com/hide-your-number-with-star-67-4154833

What is the area code of your Skype number?  

14 minutes ago, watthong said:

Thanks for the SSA Manila "U.S. phone numbers"=> 202-370-6642/6497. I called their Manila number this morning during their office hours but whenever they started putting me on call, my call invariably dropped...I was calling on skype from my desktop so I don't know whether that had anything to do with it or was it problem at the Manila end (6 attempts.)

On the other hand, I wonder if you have any experiences/difficulties calling SSA Pennsylvania => 800-772-1213? I called on skype during (their) office hours and the robot told me it can't transfer my call to a live person because the office was closed. It's the 1-800-1213 number and I called around 11 am Tuesday their time  (Tuesday night BKK time.) I tried repeatedly telling the robot that I would like to talk to a live person (by pressing "0") and it told me "office is not open at this hour" and to call back during business hours...I just tried again tonight 9pm Thu BKK time at the opening of their office hours (9am Thu their time) to same result. If you have any other suggestion or how to get around this issue that would help me a lot, thanks.

It's been years since I called the SSA central number of 800-772-1213.  But I did give it a try tonight/Thursday/10pm Thailand time which would have Thursday/10am U.S. east coast time.  Boy, oh boy, they have nothing but announcements for several minutes before you can do anything like ask for specific help.   I didn't procedure pass the announcements as I didn't have anything to talk about if I did get a human on the line other than maybe how messed-up our elected officials (both parties) in Washington D.C. are.

Now the announcement did start off saying they are having various problems with their phone system such as dropped calls.  So, maybe the problem is all on their end.   

And since you said you had the same problem when calling the Manila Embassy U.S. numbers "and since your are using a VOIP service/number (Skype) maybe certain U.S. govt systems are having problems dealing with VOIP calls.  Don't know...just guessing.

Heck, just last night I called a Dept of Defense  (DoD) Customer Service number from my VOIP Magic Jack U.S. number (but I use the Magic Jack app on my mobile phone) and my calls were also dropped after listening to all the announcements and being transferred to a human....when the human came online just a couple seconds later the call dropped.   But fortunately that DoD CS immediately called me back as apparently they could see the number calling and when it just dropped they called me back just a few seconds later....then we had our 15 minutes conversations....no dropping of the call. 

I too thought it was strange how my two calls dropped last night just as soon as I started talking to a human....and now that you said you were having the same problem using a VOIP service like Skype, Magic Jack) maybe something is going on with some U.S. govt agencies being able to properly maintain a call from a VOIP system.  Don't know....just guessing.

All I can recommend is call back...try again.

5 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

What is the area code of your Skype number?  

it's 315 ( phone number purchased from Skype). I deliberately chose that zip code (New York) just to be "in sync" with Pennsylvania time wise. Let me try to add the 67 prefix and see if better luck. Will report back shortly, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

And since you said you had the same problem when calling the Manila Embassy U.S. numbers "and since your are using a VOIP service/number (Skype) maybe certain U.S. govt systems are having problems dealing with VOIP calls.  Don't know...just guessing.

I didn't have the "US phone numbers" of SSA Manila until I ran into your post tonight. The number that I called was their (SSA Manila) "Manila number." Of note is one instance I keyed in the wrong extension and ended up with a live person who quickly transferred me to the FBU department, that didn't help much but at least I know their "live" connection is working...

• Thumbs Up 1

I called back SSA Pennsylvania on skype this morning Thu Bkk time 1030am. Got through to a real person almost immediately. After taking care of business at hand, I ventured to ask the lady what number that showed up as calling number on her screen, and what time zone she was in. It showed up as a 714 area code number (Orange County, Calif.) And her time zone was 10 pm East Coast, which translated to 7pm for the 714 area code (thus the line was open for me to access a real person.) The 714 number looked familiar, turned out to be an old phone number I had way back when (I can't remember whether it was from a sim or google voice or skype.) However the skype number I have recently purchased from Skype is a 315 (New York) area code number and should have showed up instead of the 714. Neither I nor the lady rep have an answer to this riddle.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:40 PM, watthong said:

... I keyed in the wrong extension and ended up with a live person who quickly transferred me to the FBU department, that didn't help much but at least I know their "live" connection is working...

Thanks; did you, by chance, learn the extension of the "live person" ?

10 hours ago, orang37 said:

Thanks; did you, by chance, learn the extension of the "live person" ?

No, the wrong extension that I keyed in was of course by accident, it's one single digit like "press 3 if you want this, press 4 for that, etc." Can't remember which one. Furthermore, the live person very. very quickly transferred me away the moment she heard me utter "SSA benefits."