Why many bikes have no Green Book?

canerandagio

Stolen, still outstanding fianance, book given to loan sharks, etc

On big bikes it was also a hallmark of the grey import era and not having paid all the import and registration taxes.. A huge topic with many grades and standard of legality.. 

There is always a way.

My first HD - I found out years later - was stolen in Japan and shipped here by air.

It had a totally legit green book, and I never had any trouble paying the road tax and compulsory insurance.

When I sold it the new owner had zero problems also.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, seedy said:

There is always a way.

My first HD - I found out years later - was stolen in Japan and shipped here by air.

It had a totally legit green book, and I never had any trouble paying the road tax and compulsory insurance.

When I sold it the new owner had zero problems also.

Those days are long gone,not possible to get a green book for an

imported(parts)bike any more.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, canerandagio said:

Helping out a friend buying a second hand scooter and finding that there are lots of bikes without papers. Some of them have just a copy of the green book, whilst others have nothing at all.

Just curious to know why that is.

Any bike without a green book with the actual owners name as proved by the Thai ID is one you should never buy, as the person selling it is doggy. And the owner must be willing to go with you to the DLT office to transfer ownership.

• Love It 1

• 2 weeks later...

for cheap Thai market bikes - could be from the owner doing a runner from the finance company, the bike was 'refinanced' or used as collateral by dodgy loan shark despite still not fully paid up with the finance company or just plain stolen

As long as you know what you're buying and are not paying full legit price for it and can afford to have the be  taken away at any point, could be good for village run around far away from the original owner's location, if you can supply a legit looking new plate for it, most police aren't gonna look too closely at cheap bikes, or even better just use it as parts bike if you have an identical bike with legit plate

• Haha 1