Entered visa exempt, finally got visa application approved, and then?

Just got this question.

Someone applied for a 60 day tourist visa.

Application is much delayed and so already entered on visa exempt.

Then getting visa approved.

Is it mandatory to do a border run to activate the visa or can an immigration office handle this?

On 11/17/2022 at 2:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration cannot do it. It will require leaving and re-entering the country to get the 60 day stay from it.

Could this be used as a legitimate way to overcome the need to visit a border consulate i.e Apply for the tourist visa, then enter Visa exempt, then do a border run and use the visa?

15 minutes ago, spambot said:

Could this be used as a legitimate way to overcome the need to visit a border consulate i.e Apply for the tourist visa, then enter Visa exempt, then do a border run and use the visa?

Some people have applied for a e visa at a embassy or consulate in their home country and used it after leaving Thailand.

But I would not recommend doing it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spambot said:

Farang always trying to scam the intention of any new option.

It might work. ,(for a while)

Just another scam. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some people have applied for a e visa at a embassy or consulate in their home country and used it after leaving Thailand.

But I would not recommend doing it.

Thanks Joe,

Not recommended because it would be something that border / Airport  immigration are not used to managing and hence easier to reject or is that there is a specific issue that might make the visa void?

17 minutes ago, spambot said:

Thanks Joe,

Not recommended because it would be something that border / Airport  immigration are not used to managing and hence easier to reject or is that there is a specific issue that might make the visa void?

The evisa was designed to speed up application in your own country.

Quickly seen as a loop hole.

On 11/17/2022 at 6:19 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Is it mandatory to do a border run to activate the visa or can an immigration office handle this?

So your in Thailand and have a visa up your sleeve do to this eVisa gig.

What to you expect immigration could possible do for you? 

Treat it at some sort of "visa wallet" 

So NO that's not possible. 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration cannot do it. It will require leaving and re-entering the country to get the 60 day stay from it.

Dear Ubonjoe, I'm in this very situation where my passport renewal has been super delayed and I need to enter Thailand before the usual time needed to obtain a TR e-visa. for example if I enter with a visa exempt stamp, go to Malaysia for a couple days and use my e-visa upon re-entering Thailand, would you consider it risky ? Thanks !

3 minutes ago, maloulou said:

Dear Ubonjoe, I'm in this very situation where my passport renewal has been super delayed and I need to enter Thailand before the usual time needed to obtain a TR e-visa. for example if I enter with a visa exempt stamp, go to Malaysia for a couple days and use my e-visa upon re-entering Thailand, would you consider it risky ? Thanks !

It could probably be done without a problem. Just be sure you do it before your e visa expires.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It could probably be done without a problem. Just be sure you do it before your e visa expires.

Thanks a lot Joe, update : I went and asked at  the Thai embassy (Paris) and they told me no. Maybe a french requirement, and doesn't mean it wouldn't work at actual borders but I think I will go with the 45+30 days visa exempt entry to be on the safe side.

Sort of related: I just got my 60 day tourist visa approval from the Canadian Thai embassy.  The turnaround time was 43 days from application to approval. The thing is Ive left thailand now and returned to Canada due to a death in the family. I entered on a visa exemption in mid October.

I'm assuming the visa is still good as long as I enter while still valid (Feb 19 2023). And yet the all the info I supplied with application (flight number, hotel reservation and address) won't be relevant if I choose to go back and use the visa.  Is this visa still good? 

1 hour ago, ultramarine said:

all the info I supplied with application (flight number, hotel reservation and address) won't be relevant if I choose to go back and use the visa

Nobody on this forum has uploaded a copy of a Tourist e-Visa so I don't know how it compares to the good old one page sticker which never showed such detail. 

Does it show any of this info? I doubt it, and the IO at Swampy won't have access to it on his system anyway as it is held with the consulate in Canada. 

So you should have no problem using your visa before it's use-by date. Come on over and have a great trip.

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Nobody on this forum has uploaded a copy of a Tourist e-Visa so I don't know how it compares to the good old one page sticker which never showed such detail. 

Does it show any of this info? I doubt it, and the IO at Swampy won't have access to it on his system anyway as it is held with the consulate in Canada. 

So you should have no problem using your visa before it's use-by date. Come on over and have a great trip.

No the e-visa document doesn't show flight information (used it last year). The important thing I got from my exchange with the Thai embassy in France today is that you're entering Thailand from the country in which the visa was issued, and that's your case.

6 minutes ago, maloulou said:

No the e-visa document doesn't show flight information (used it last year). The important thing I got from my exchange with the Thai embassy in France today is that you're entering Thailand from the country in which the visa was issued, and that's your case.

thanks ????. btw it's not my case so I'll tag @ultramarinein case he doesn't see your response. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Cheers. This e-visa system is so screwed up. They grant you a visa based in information that it already outdated.  Kind of ridiculous.