Beer at 0900

kingstonkid

5 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

I thought another reason. please follow:

bars make most in the evening. less at daytime and almost nill morning, but smart owner might lure suckers [say] with super-duper discounts? those average farang ding-dong won't resist?

I reckon working girls throwing discounts in the morning hours at walking street, why not do the same trick with beer bars?

smart time management, no?

English breakfest 99,- bath seems to suck those in. 

a horrible english breakfest if I may say after trying a few of them. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 2

I used to play baseball for a bay area bar team out in San Leandro.....The Creekside Lounge....

Sometimes games would start early or need an early start to get to whichever venue....Meeting there if needed....

That bar served food & drinks starting at 6AM/0600 daily and there would be people there "drinking" their breakfast....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thumbs Up 2

Does it matter when (a couple of times) I went out at 4pm and came back home at around 10am and just had my last beer?

Ps: Those day are long gone, now I only drink at 9am when my SWMBO pisses me off :whistling: (not every day though ???? )

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Aren't a lot of those guys getting off the midnight shift, so it's like their afternoon?

555 Most are pensioners and many less abled (mobility scooters parked outside is a common sight). 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Aren't a lot of those guys getting off the midnight shift, so it's like their afternoon?

That just reminded me....I used to work 6am/2pm - best hours in the world for me....

I'd be getting in about the time the garbage truck drivers were about midway through their shift....

They were always chugging a few beers as they worked......

• Thumbs Up 1

Back in the day, some pubs allegedly opened at 0700.  Not that I ever saw them at that time.  I saw a fight in one of them, around 11 am.  Myself and the other chap at the bar were doing our best to look elsewhere (not only in the sense of not looking at the shoving and pushing, but like we were elsewhere). The only time I thought about a pint at that time in the morning was coming off the overnight train from London, but I couldn’t see if the pub was open from the main road, and I couldn’t be bothered going to investigate. 
Last time I transited Hong Kong from the US I had to search for somewhere serving beer in the dawn hours of the morning.

Years earlier, I’d taken my daughter to the dentists in HK, and agreed to meet my wife for dinner in a restaurant in Wanchai.  We arrived early, so we stopped for a drink, and the only people there were still there, not there already.

Anyway, as for why people are there before the pub opens…

Back in the day, Diggers did not bother applying for a licence extension, so they would not open till 5 pm, so there would be a crowd waiting for them to open after the football.

When TheBlether came to visit, after an afternoon in the town we stopped in a neighbourhood bar that did not open till 7, so we were sat drumming our fingers on the bar for 5 minutes.

I doubt you wanted anything other than a holier-than-they condemnation of early morning drinkers, but I hope some people found the above either relevant, informative, interesting or nostalgic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back in the day, my mate came down from The Old Country, and we went to the into the big city.  We went to The Brewery Tap, nearest pub to the Strangeways Brewery, replete with a “drink from 11 till 11” banner.  ‘Sorry, we’re not open’

I pointed at the banner.

She pointed at the fine print “Mon -Fri”

So the only day you could drink all day, you couldn’t. 
We walked back into town and drank Tetleys.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Does it matter when (a couple of times) I went out at 4pm and came back home at around 10am and just had my last beer?

Ps: Those day are long gone, now I only drink at 9am when my SWMBO pisses me off :whistling: (not every day though ???? )

Still doing it.

Difficult to explain to missus ????

• Haha 1

It is up to the individual. Each to their own. Most people do not start at 0900 but some do. That is their choice. I remember in the old day II would finish night shift at 0600 and then have a few beers with my shift. Please keep an open mind and do not condemn the ones that do.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, garrya said:

I disagree with that. 

Th9e amount the ladies in karaoke bars can drink is greatly overdo most men

Yeah but they are young, and they can get use to it same as men.

I use to drink ten pints of bitter in uk dinner time and then go back the building site and load the roof out for the next day carrying roof sheets and plasterboard up a 35 foot wooden ladder which we called an Oaktree.

Dunno what karaoke girl could do that. 

• Love It 1

10 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

It is up to the individual. Each to their own. Most people do not start at 0900 but some do. That is their choice. I remember in the old day II would finish night shift at 0600 and then have a few beers with my shift. Please keep an open mind and do not condemn the ones that do.

No, no need to condem, but funny as hell  wifes drops them off and let them sit drinking until they are <deleted> drunk and follow them home. Used to have a bar next the condo I was living, and the local breakfest club used to meet up there. 

A bit sad to see sometimes, because even enjoing the beers, they did not seem to happy. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I use to drink ten pints of bitter in uk dinner time and then go back the building site and load the roof out for the next day carrying roof sheets and plasterboard up a 35 foot wooden ladder which we called an Oaktree.

Karaoke girls can do crazy amounts 

Witnessed it hundreds of times ????

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I used to play baseball for a bay area bar team out in San Leandro.....The Creekside Lounge....

Sometimes games would start early or need an early start to get to whichever venue....Meeting there if needed....

That bar served food & drinks starting at 6AM/0600 daily and there would be people there "drinking" their breakfast....

Possibly shift workers?????????

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Karaoke girls can generally do many amazing things????????.