Wise as a bank account for my pensions

On 11/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, poppysdad said:

But my main problem is if Santander close my account which is what they suggest will happen if I haven’t passed their criteria then I need a bank account to have my pensions paid into in the first place. If I can have them paid into Wise I can transfer into my Bangkok Bank account as soon as they are paid into my Wise account minimising any risk of a Wise problem. 

Scubascuba3, I have never hidden the fact that I live in Thailand from them in the 16 years I’ve lived here and in fact they send me sms on my Thai mobile from time to time for security reasons although I do have a uk accommodation address for most things. When I go to the online bank site I never use a vpn so they would have always been able to check where I was if the wanted to. Was I just a random check victim because it does seem strange why now the checking on me. 

Well after 16 Years of Faith to Santander & Telling them that You DO Live here I Would Give them a ring and ASK them " What The Bloody Hell are you playing at ?? "

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roo860 said:

Tell them nothing mate, you've paid in to it, stuff em.

I'm Sorry that I Told them when I Did in 2016......But IF you don't tell them & They get to know They WILL Take ALL the Money that they've Overpaid You Back......I Know happened to a M8 of mine,They Took 150 GBP A Month back from his future pension payments.....So they ( The DWP ) Have got you by The Gonads.....

2 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I'm Sorry that I Told them when I Did in 2016......But IF you don't tell them & They get to know They WILL Take ALL the Money that they've Overpaid You Back......I Know happened to a M8 of mine,They Took 150 GBP A Month back from his future pension payments.....So they ( The DWP ) Have got you by The Gonads.....

How did they find out about where he was living or did someone bubble him?

But my main problem is if Santander close my account which is what they suggest will happen if I haven’t passed their criteria then I need a bank account to have my pensions paid into in the first place. If I can have them paid into Wise I can transfer into my Bangkok Bank account as soon as they are paid into my Wise account minimising any risk of a Wise problem. 

Scubascuba3, I have never hidden the fact that I live in Thailand from them in the 16 years I’ve lived here and in fact they send me sms on my Thai mobile from time to time for security reasons although I do have a uk accommodation address for most things. When I go to the online bank site I never use a vpn so they would have always been able to check where I was if the wanted to. Was I just a random check victim because it does seem strange why now the checking on me. 

IF You are worried that Santander COULD close your account,But You have a U.K. Address Open an account with ANY Other U.K. Based Bank....I Get my Pension paid into @Halifax & Transfer it to @WiseMyself.....Simples !!

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I imagine like other banks they may be slowly closing accounts with a foreign address, that's why it's best to keep a UK address if possible.

Yes I think this likely... non-domiciles are too more trouble than they are worth to the banks. I have found so far HSBC will accommodate, and ones offshore, eg in Jersey or IOM. State pensions can go into those....

I have no UK address and if I claimed one, eg a relative's, they start asking for rather difficult proof of address.

55 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well after 16 Years of Faith to Santander & Telling them that You DO Live here I Would Give them a ring and ASK them " What The Bloody Hell are you playing at ?? "

How well do you think that approach will go?

When the tail starts trying to wag the dog the outcome is rarely successful. They don’t give a flying fart about the customer - only that the customer ticks their regulatory boxes. Conform - or, don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

How well do you think that approach will go?

When the tail starts trying to wag the dog the outcome is rarely successful. They don’t give a flying fart about the customer - only that the customer ticks their regulatory boxes. Conform - or, don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I'd Just Tell Them to " Stuff Their Account " Where the Sun Don't Shine.....

You will be aware that you cannot open a U.K. bank account (Wise excepted) unless you are resident in the OK.

Logic suggests that it is not a huge step to then review EXISTING accounts and - possibly - seek to close accounts of non-residents. I understand that the reason relates to increased regulatory requirements for such customers.

I am not personally aware of any institution openly coming out and saying “off you go”. Nevertheless, I have always advocated maintaining a U.K. correspondence  address……and at least one U.K. bank.

Personally, I think you will be OK - but it may still be worth considering using a relatives UK address.

At the last count I had active accounts with 4 banks, 10 different credit cards, with credit limits of £90,000, 2 Premium Bond accounts and I remain on the books of the local doctor. I have lived in Thailand for 16 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How?  "Twise" [sic] isn't a bank.

Technically yes it is under the Banking Laws or Financial Services Act or whatever it is, they are registered as a bank.

No, technicalIy or otherwise, Wise is not a bank.  If Wise was a bank, it wouldn't have to "safeguard" it's customers' money by depositing those funds with banks.   From their website....

https://wise.com/help/articles/2949821/is-it-safe-to-keep-money-in-my-wise-account

"Wise isn’t a bank. We’re an e-money institution.   

We’re required to keep your money safe and protected, and we do this differently to conventional banks. Unlike banks, we do not lend out customer money.  Instead of protecting your money in a financial protection scheme (like FSCS), we safeguard your money". 

One should be aware that if you "reside" in Thailand ( retired or other)  ,as an expat , to be completely disassociated  with links to the UK ,  you should be thinking about an offshore bank account .  Any links to the UK ie bank accounts , can be used by the IR to claim taxes - even after your demise on your estate !!!   Pensions can be paid to offshore accounts and you can still use WISE .  

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Technically yes it is under the Banking Laws or Financial Services Act or whatever it is, they are registered as a bank.

No, definitely not registered as a bank. Therefore no security umbrella like the 100k Euro shiel in Europe:). Fact!

On 11/19/2022 at 2:13 PM, nickmondo said:

so you dont get the increases each year with the UK state pension?

no mate it's a decision I totally disagree with ..should have the same rights as other Brits abroad in other countries this money is not charity it's our right we earned it should be able to finish up our time left wherever we want to on this planet ..UK never looked after its own....but my small very small does go up ..with inflation wherever I am ..

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, hotandsticky said:

You will be aware that you cannot open a U.K. bank account (Wise excepted) unless you are resident in the OK.

Logic suggests that it is not a huge step to then review EXISTING accounts and - possibly - seek to close accounts of non-residents. I understand that the reason relates to increased regulatory requirements for such customers.

I am not personally aware of any institution openly coming out and saying “off you go”. Nevertheless, I have always advocated maintaining a U.K. correspondence  address……and at least one U.K. bank.

Personally, I think you will be OK - but it may still be worth considering using a relatives UK address.

At the last count I had active accounts with 4 banks, 10 different credit cards, with credit limits of £90,000, 2 Premium Bond accounts and I remain on the books of the local doctor. I have lived in Thailand for 16 years.

I remain on the books of the local doctor. I have lived in Thailand for 16 years.....I Bet You Ain't Told HIM That !!

2 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I remain on the books of the local doctor. I have lived in Thailand for 16 years.....I Bet You Ain't Told HIM That !!

I send him postcards from various parts of Thailand (at his request) to brighten up his wall.

He is fully aware that I live full time in Thailand. Like most health professionals they are only interested in your health and medical welfare - they are not interested in the political bollicks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, technicalIy or otherwise, Wise is not a bank.  If Wise was a bank, it wouldn't have to "safeguard" it's customers' money by depositing those funds with banks.   From their website....

https://wise.com/help/articles/2949821/is-it-safe-to-keep-money-in-my-wise-account

"Wise isn’t a bank. We’re an e-money institution.   

We’re required to keep your money safe and protected, and we do this differently to conventional banks. Unlike banks, we do not lend out customer money.  Instead of protecting your money in a financial protection scheme (like FSCS), we safeguard your money". 

aviary-image-1669044479054.jpeg

• Like 1