Wise as a bank account for my pensions

It seems that after a great many loyal years with Santander that I might well have to find a new bank for my uk pensions to be paid into as they’re checking up on me to see if I comply with the current banking rules and the decision is still to be made by them. Up to now everything has worked perfectly for both parties so why do they suddenly want to change things, anyway.

I’ve done a search on the forum and found some useful info but was wondering if I can use Wise both as my bank and for transfers as I’ve been with them almost since they started for my transfers to my Bangkok Bank account. So my question is can I simply have my pensions paid into my Wise account and has anyone done so and is it working out well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Suspect it depends on your country - for USA they highly advertise doing so (all information is provided including physical address).  But as long as have another bank account working suspect best to continue and only use as an option in case needed.  Easy enough to transfer into Wise account as needed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I can't see why not as the Wise account has a 'normal' sort code and account number..

My Pension is paid into my UK bank account which I then transfer immediately to Wise GBP account, and convert to THB if & when the rate is good. Got it at 44 last week or so but now back down to 42.5. I would like to tell DWP to pay directly into my Wise, but it has worked fine like this for many years, so I think I shall let sleeping dogs lie.

same here I have my pension paid directly into wise from France  but my UK into UK account then transfer it as and when rate is good ..I'm registered as living in Thailand 

Edited by Harveyboy
error
  • Thumbs Up 1

your pensions may or may not be paid into your Wise account depends on pension provider, in my case neither of my 2 pension providers were prepared to deposit into my Wise account - reason given by one was that Wise is not a bank it is a financial institution therefore not secure.

Good luck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Scubascuba3, I have never hidden the fact that I live in Thailand from them in the 16 years I’ve lived here and in fact they send me sms on my Thai mobile from time to time for security reasons although I do have a uk accommodation address for most things. When I go to the online bank site I never use a vpn so they would have always been able to check where I was if the wanted to. Was I just a random check victim because it does seem strange why now the checking on me. 

I imagine like other banks they may be slowly closing accounts with a foreign address, that's why it's best to keep a UK address if possible.

Wise will work fine for you though, if i closed my Santander account i would open a Wise £ account, fine for pension transfers

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I can't see why not as the Wise account has a 'normal' sort code and account number..

My Pension is paid into my UK bank account which I then transfer immediately to Wise GBP account, and convert to THB if & when the rate is good. Got it at 44 last week or so but now back down to 42.5. I would like to tell DWP to pay directly into my Wise, but it has worked fine like this for many years, so I think I shall let sleeping dogs lie.

did you tell DWP that you live in Thailand?

ie, do you get the yearly increases for your Pension or set at the level when you retired?

interested because I get mine in January next year, and dont know to tell them I am in Thailand or not.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have my State, Military and Company pensions paid directly into my Wise borderless account and then transfer the funds to Thailand.

All my pension providers were quite happy to pay into my Wise account for over 3 years now and they, plus Wise know that I live in Thailand.

Wise notify me by my email, also registered with them, every time a provider makes a payment, and I simply make the transfer using internet banking on my desktop pc.

did you declare to the state pension that you live in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

same here I have my pension paid directly into wise from France  but my UK into UK account then transfer it as and when rate is good ..I'm registered as living in Thailand 

so you dont get the increases each year with the UK state pension?

4 hours ago, poppysdad said:

But my main problem is if Santander close my account which is what they suggest will happen if I haven’t passed their criteria then I need a bank account to have my pensions paid into in the first place. If I can have them paid into Wise I can transfer into my Bangkok Bank account as soon as they are paid into my Wise account minimising any risk of a Wise problem. 

Scubascuba3, I have never hidden the fact that I live in Thailand from them in the 16 years I’ve lived here and in fact they send me sms on my Thai mobile from time to time for security reasons although I do have a uk accommodation address for most things. When I go to the online bank site I never use a vpn so they would have always been able to check where I was if the wanted to. Was I just a random check victim because it does seem strange why now the checking on me. 

What is the issue with Santander? I have my pension paid into them, no problems so far, I still have a UK address

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poppysdad said:

If I can have them paid into Wise I can transfer into my Bangkok Bank account as soon as they are paid into my Wise account minimising any risk of a Wise problem

Have you considered this option?

How to receive payments from a UK-based state/private pension provider or company.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

I was in the same position with the ridiculous KYC requirements required by Santander Offshore.

So my UK pension is now paid into my WISE account, no problem.

I did not close the Santander account, but since there is no minimum balance required with them, I reduced the balance to just £1. If they ask for onerous KYC details I will just ignore them.

WISE also has the advantage that (if you wish) you can exchange the GBP to THB in the account and transfer the funds in THB to Thailand. In that way avoiding the incoming foreign exchange charge (up to THB 500) charged by Thai banks.

Of course, that option would only apply (I guess) if you do not need transfers in GBP to show the IO the income requirement to extend the Visa. I use the BHT 800k deposit method.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Of course, that option would only apply (I guess) if you do not need transfers in GBP to show the IO the income requirement to extend the Visa. I use the BHT 800k deposit method.

Good way to do it. Even transferring from Wise THB account to Bkk Bank arrives as an FTT, so Mr IO is happy.

I use the Combination Method ie 50k per month = 600k, plus 200k in the bank = 800k. My IO accepts it no problem, and I (sorry SHE) can spend the 50k every month.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can have a bank account with Twise.

I had to set one up for my 82 year old friend here when his UK bank closed his account and he could not return to the UK to open another one.

It was the London branch where my transfers go through. Changed his pension funds to be paid in to it and he is notified by them when any money goes in. 

They were very helpful and sorted pretty quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1