Does anyone even care about the World Cup this year?

bob smith

with all the horrific controversies surrounding the games it seems hardly anyone is up for the world cup this year. i think in hindsight it was a terrible idea to host it in Qatar, with their appalling human rights record and relative size of the country. most of my thai buddies arent really bothered either, strange cos they are usually football mad. same with my buddies back home, they are all really deflated about the whole thing.

im personally looking forward to watching 2 games of soccer a day. if anything it is an excuse to have a beer and escape reality for a few hours. I will be watching the opening game tonight at 11pm.

how about you lot? do you even care about the world cup this year? do you think it was a good idea to host the games in Qatar?

i know this post isnt thai related but as we are able to watch the games free here now i thought it would be a good discussion to have on opening day.

Edited by bob smith

2 minutes ago, Jerno said:

World's biggest sporting event watched by billions?  Yes, a few people are interested. 

im sure many around the world are interested. its my own personal demographic that isnt, which is strange because they are all mad on football.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Qatar sounds like a great place for such an event. It is far away so all that traffic won't interrupt my daily life.

according to your profile you are based in bangkok. traffic is pretty bad too there i heard ????

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Soccer never caught my imagination. Having it in Qatar certainly takes away from the image of it being the people's game.

The president said today words to the effect of 'I feel Qatari. I feel Arab. I feel gay. I feel disabled etc' - that was bizarre. Comparing being bullied for having red hair to the treatment of minorities in Qatar. Then basically saying that criticism of Qatar is ripe coming from Europeans, based on their history, which is straight out of the authoritarian playbook i.e. no one is perfect so no one can judge. 

First game is at 3am Australia time so won't be something I have to consider. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, bob smith said:

i agree. i watched his speech in full yesterday and he was just making a load of excuses. seems his pockets have been well and truly filled by Qatari backhanders..

Correct he has spent a long time in Qatar this year, making friends? And getting rich I suspect.

Even the Guardian called his speech a diatribe.????

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/19/fifa-gianni-infantino-world-cup-qatar

• Thanks 1

I have some friends who derive their income come from Gambling, & they all seem amazed that the odds on the England -to beat Iran game are so low -  -290/Fractional odds 10/29 im Odds 74.36%--in simple terms 1-3 on---bet $100 =win $134.

Phones are ringing & there are some large sums being placed   (only in countries where its legal, of course----???? )

5 minutes ago, ezzra said:

This world cup is NOT about sport, much more to do about Money, show of power and influence...

You are correct. But soccer/football in the UK is much the same I suspect, certainly in the Premier League? How much do these guys get paid?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I have some friends who derive their income come from Gambling, & they all seem amazed that the odds on the England -to beat Iran game are so low -  -290/Fractional odds 10/29 im Odds 74.36%--in simple terms 1-3 on---bet $100 =win $134.

Phones are ringing & there are some large sums being placed   (only in countries where its legal, of course----???? )

Maybe they are just dreaming