Nightclub goers tested positive for drugs in Pattaya entertainment venue crackdown, passport inspections for foreigners to continue

webfact

Maybe the number 1 rule should be ,  To check that the night club is compliant with fire safety laws that state that the venue must be compliant with having emergency fire exits that are both unlocked and unhampered 

^^^ 

???? You triggered me with the United States which has nothing to do with Thailand and oft get mentioned even in things like plumbing threads. 

For some reason quoted posts get truncated on my browser. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I was in a GoGo ‘ Slutz ‘ LK on Friday night about 9:30 .. 

raided by about 15-20 officers etc .. 

they seem to be only interested in workers ( pee in cup test ) .. and the 2 farang ‘ managers ‘ one of which was taken away , I don’t know why but he apparently was back to work before 1am .. 

took about 1 hour to achieve their goal , which I’m not sure what it actually was .. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

the following excerpt from the article above would suggest otherwise:

" Some of the foreigners were unable to present their passports and they were taken to the Pattaya Police Station for questioning."

I have said this time and again, only police officers above a certain rank can ask to see your passport, don't know which rank though, and no one has came on to say I'm wrong, though I suspect I could be.

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Both the USA and UK  and Germany have portable fingerprint scanners. They are reasonably cheap and very accurate, of course the database they are linked to must be accurate.

https://www.police1.com/police-products/police-technology/biometrics-identification/articles/atlanta-police-get-new-mobile-fingerprint-scanners-Wk2lWyC7szd0W6QL/

The article was from 2011, so you can imagine how many police have them now? This is not fiction from watching the TV?

Biometric technology has come a long way and it would make sense for immigration in Thailand to have portable fingerprint scanners, I mean they take your fingerprints every time you enter and leave the country?

We're talking about Thailand dude, not a first world country with a first work economy. They couldn't even buy metal detectors that worked.

So for average Joe blow policeman to have a portable fingerprint scanners is certainly a stretch. 

Immigration already uses biometrics and it's link to.... Wait for it... Your passport!  So for foreigners out in sketchy event and carrying no full verifiable ID and be taken to the station over it that's exactly what should be happening.

Police doing their job; or a reasonible facimile. When they do the job foreigners bitch, when they dont do their job foreigners bitch. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Tourists don't even know this place exists mate. As for potential holiday-makers reading the Pattaya News ... keep dreaming.

Op I am not talking about the tourists I was referring to the people on here that any time a rule is changed or enforced cry that the government is against farangs in the country. LOL

8 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Op I am not talking about the tourists I was referring to the people on here that any time a rule is changed or enforced cry that the government is against farangs in the country. LOL

Oh, I think I quoted you instead of that odious bob 'bluster' smith fella. 

But you're right, the constant "they're out to get us because we're farang" refrain in here is past it's use by date. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, easydoor said:

Whwn I read the replys I have just the feeling for some people they want, here in Thailand, they can do everything they are not allowed to do in they home country.

- I your home country you also must be able to identify yourself, by a legal document as an ID card, Here in Thailand you have to do this, as foreigner, by a legal passport.

- In your home country it is also not allowed to serve alcohol to underaged people.

- in your home country it is also not allowed to use certain kinds of drugs

- in your home country it is also not allowed to carrie weapons in public

All of this, when they control it in Thailkand, it is NOT DONE for some people.

What do they want? A lawless holiday destination? In case it would be as this: they can complain there is no safety or no law in Thailand..... please stay home, we don't need you as 'Tourist', if that is what you want,

And again!!! In my country the police don't raid pubs/clubs and night clubs rounding people up and drug testing everyone they also Don't ask for ID cards proof of id or passports. The above as far as I'm aware never ever happens in the UK. Glastonbury is famous for drug use never raided and this test forcing people to Pee in a bottle and test for drugs never happens in the uk unless driving under the influence and even then you have the right to refuse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

if a copper ever asked to see my passport on the street out here i would initially decline and continue walking. if he pursued me i would whip my phone out and start to film him for my own safety, asking him why he is stopping a random person on the street who isnt committing any sort of crime and why he thinks this is appropriate behavior. if he still insists to see my documents at this point i will then get out my photocopied documents that i always carry with me, all legal and up to date and tell him that if he ever bothers me on the street again for no reason I will put in a formal complaint with his superior at the station he is based. it goes without saying that I would never even engage with a police officer without knowing his name, badge number and station.

I doubt you have the nuts for that. Pulling out the phone and filming yeah maybe but getting confrontational with the police  I would put money that would never happen 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

if a copper ever asked to see my passport on the street out here i would initially decline and continue walking. if he pursued me i would whip my phone out and start to film him for my own safety, asking him why he is stopping a random person on the street who isnt committing any sort of crime and why he thinks this is appropriate behavior. if he still insists to see my documents at this point i will then get out my photocopied documents that i always carry with me, all legal and up to date and tell him that if he ever bothers me on the street again for no reason I will put in a formal complaint with his superior at the station he is based. it goes without saying that I would never even engage with a police officer without knowing his name, badge number and station.

That'll teach him, he'll be shaking in his sandals, for sure. 

But seriously, when you've stopped fantasizing, tell us would you'd really do!

7 hours ago, BuyBitcoin said:

This is not true in the United States.  Police have no right to your identity unless there is a reasonable suspicion you've committed a crime.   You certainly can't demand a passport, it's absolutely foolish to carry around your passport regardless of the country.  

That's a completely different situation in the US and a is driver's license and is a worthless comparison. Re_read the article and you'll see there was plenty of illicit activity going on and every reason for ID verifications. 

13 hours ago, easydoor said:

Whwn I read the replys I have just the feeling for some people they want, here in Thailand, they can do everything they are not allowed to do in they home country.

- I your home country you also must be able to identify yourself, by a legal document as an ID card, Here in Thailand you have to do this, as foreigner, by a legal passport.

- In your home country it is also not allowed to serve alcohol to underaged people.

- in your home country it is also not allowed to use certain kinds of drugs

- in your home country it is also not allowed to carrie weapons in public

All of this, when they control it in Thailkand, it is NOT DONE for some people.

What do they want? A lawless holiday destination? In case it would be as this: they can complain there is no safety or no law in Thailand..... please stay home, we don't need you as 'Tourist', if that is what you want,

In all my years I have never carried a passport with me on a night out. It's too valuable to risk losing it. 

Also, in all my years and in all the countries I've ever visited, I've never been held captive in a bar / club by police and forced to pee in a jar. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the Thai authorities should rethink this strategy if they want the tourist sector to fully recover. 

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Excellent way to end up as a guest at the cop shop. I'd certainly "inconvenience" you for as long as possible if I were a Thai cop and a farang spoke to me like that.

I believe you are from the US. Is that how you would speak to a US cop?

No. Absolutely not. I would surely be arrested or killed by an American cop, with that attitude. However, they are law enforcement officers, unlike here. Here I give them a hard time. They deserve that. They deserve no respect. Never been locked up for it. Quite the contrary, they usually back down here when you are not an easy mark. 

13 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And the Officer would have every right to march you off down to the nick.

Thai Law states that all Foreigners must carry their Passport at all times.

Total defiance of idiocy, is my current motto. And whenever I am asked for my passport, a color copy of it and my visa, my driver's license or my pink card is ALWAYS enough. 

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

In all my years I have never carried a passport with me on a night out. It's too valuable to risk losing it. 

Also, in all my years and in all the countries I've ever visited, I've never been held captive in a bar / club by police and forced to pee in a jar. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the Thai authorities should rethink this strategy if they want the tourist sector to fully recover. 

Did you even bother watching the two videos? They're not doing the raids on foreign tourist-oriented clubs. 

The one that have been raided are frequented mostly by Thais and they would (or should) be used to the idea of the possibility of being drug-tested because this sort of thing has been happening in those types of clubs for donkey's years.

The new big boss of Region 2 police who has decided to "take over" from Pattaya/Chonburi police has been quoted as saying a copy of your passport is fine. 

Another poster said that he was in a gg-go bar on LK Metro and it was raised by the BiB but they targeted only staff.

So unless Pol. Maj. Gen Nantawut Suwanlaong starts shutting down Walking Street or Treetown at 6pm then there's absolutely nothing to worry about. 

As for your never being pee-tested, well you need to get out more. It's a thing here, Jakarta too. And just like the Full Moon Party on KPN, a few randoms getting busted for drugs doesn't stop the hordes returning month after month.

PS. have you ever even been to Pattaya? 

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite the contrary, they usually back down here when you are not an easy mark. 

This is an important comment..... and perhaps why the locals do better. I have seen my wife berate a policeman and he acted like a smacked puppy..... I carry with me an ancient legacy of respect for police, more deserved perhaps in the 1960s UK. Then again, when pulled over in the USA, some huge guy with a barrel chest and a gun made me 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir', till he heard my accent, then he was confused what to do. 

Edited by jacko45k

Thanks guys. I have lived here almost 20 years now and never been asked for ID except for the random motorbike stop. But at least now I know, courtesy of a few of you, how to pull off the really tough guy farang routine with the RTP.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, mikeymike100 said:

What happened ? Were you detained? Were you just walking along the street?

What happened ? - asked me for my passport and where I lived, deflated a bit when they realized I was in my local town which is only 15 mins. from my house and the passport could be accessed easily, they studied the photocopy I provided, gave me a stern lecture about carrying my passport at all times, to which I replied the head of the RTP said a couple of years ago we shouldn't. On that note photocopy handed back and I was sent on my way. 

Were you detained? - only long enough for the above to happen.

Were you just walking along the street? - from where I parked the car to one of the local shops. Think I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, they didn't get anybody in the hotel for TM30 so thought to have a go at me.

• Like 2