China-Laos-Thailand high-speed railway to become backbone infrastructure in enhancing regional connectivity: Thai researcher

webfact

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I've seen what China has done inside Cambodia and Laos..

And it is coming to Thailand.

I'm intrigued. What do you see coming that isn't already here? Plenty of corruption, mafia, scamming, illegalities, cartels, etc etc.

An amusing anecdote: I have a fairly hiso Thai friend who was ecstatic after discovering she has 67% Chinese (Han) DNA. And only 17% Thai. Or perhaps I should say "Thai". She also has 6% Finnish DNA. ????????????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I'm intrigued. What do you see coming that isn't already here? Plenty of corruption, mafia, scamming, illegalities, cartels, etc etc.

What you have here now is small scale...

once main arteries are opened up watch it grow exponentially.

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

What you have here now is small scale...

once main arteries are opened up watch it grow exponentially.

Not sure what "it" refers to. Chinese/Thai corruption? And opening main arteries... A very Roman way of dying. But surely the only way the link from Laos to Singapore is going to get built is with Chinese engineering and financial backing. Thai fruit growers in Chantaburi and Trad, not to mention in the south, are reaping the rewards of massive trade with China. You can't hold it back. And I don't hear Thai traders, nor Chinese traders, lamenting the increased volume in trade between the 2 countries. It's business, to quote the Godfather parts 1 and 2, just business.

• Thanks 1

Well, the Chinese finished the part through Laos from Boten to Vientiane within record time, on time, and within budget. The Chinese started in 2016 and ran the first commercial services five years later; through rugged terrain, through mountains and valleys with countless tunnels and bridges. 

Thailand's decision-making boys are at the rudder since 2014 (two years prior to the Chinese start) and are nowhere close to anything indicating, that the Thai part will be operative in the second decade of this century. But Saksayan Chitchob and his gifted minions will walk off the stage one day, leaving a heavily delayed construction site way off budget ....... nothing new. 

If it works in Thailand then it works everywhere - and that you can take to the bank! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, bradiston said:

That's what I was getting at. Where is the Thai section? There was once a project to connect Myanmar to Vietnam by road, rail and ship. What happened? The road more or less ends at the Cambodian border. The rail link is years away, and though they have deep water ports at Map Ta Put and maybe Klong Yai, Sihanoukville etc, the link hasn't materialised. ASEAN not really taking it forward despite endless meetings boasting BCG, cooperation, etc etc. Yes, bio, circular, green seems to just lead you to BWYS -  back where you started.

What more do you want.

The project is not due for completion until 2040, you can come back then and give us your opinion.

545px-Thailand_HSR_2022.svg.png

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Obviously "Thai-Sino High-Speed Train Project" went over your head.

I don't see any references to "Thai-Sino High-Speed Train Project". Your graphic is labelled "Thailand HSR plans 2022". The op referenced China-Laos-Thailand. Pointless intervention. It's not happening in Thailand.