Gotcha! Shocks are great but Messi is unlikely to be tossed in the gulag!

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS JOMTIEN

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

Highlight of Tuesday's play in the 2022 FIFA World Cup was the sensational victory of Saudi Arabia over pre-tournament second favorites Argentina. 

I recalled some disgraceful Sun headline from my past in the Falklands Conflict - "Gothcha!"

image.jpeg

But the Saudis did get them on this occasion. Based on the number of chances they created, their difficulty and the likelihood of their scoring they should have got one or no goals in this contest.

By contrast Argentina's battering of the Saudi goal - albeit a lot in strange over the top play while trying to stay onside - meant that on another day they would have scored six. 

image.jpeg

Argentina were very unlucky but most traditional punditry - that Rooster decries - suggests that the Saudis deserved their win.

They didn't. But never mind they got it so fair play to them.

Shocks are great for any sporting event and I was recalling at Italia '90 when the Argentinians were humbled by Cameroon 1-0.

As World Cup shocks go England losing by the same scoreline to the USA in 1950 has always been right up there.

But perhaps the finest story of a shock - followed by an amazing mystery - is one from the appearances of North Korea at the 1966 finals in England.

The Koreans were based in Middlesbrough where the local folk took the Asian team under their wings despite a first game loss to the USSR.

In the third group game they had to beat tournament heavyweights Italy to progress and stunned the world with a 1-0 win.

Incredibly in the next knockout match against Eusebio's Portugal they led 3-0 at Everton's Goodison ground. Before Eusebio netted 4 times and the Koreans were out 3-5.

Kim Il-sung had promised much when the team left especially if they got a win or two. But rumors circulated about the comrades having a little too much England based hanky-panky after the Italy win. 

Though details are hard to come by it is thought the great majority of the team ended up with twenty year stretches in the gulag for such bourgeois shenanigans. (I'd recommending Googling about this story if you don't know it).

It is unlikely that Messi will end up in an Argentinian gulag any time soon. He slotted the opening penalty away brilliantly and was a threat thoughout. 

Argentina will most likely win against Mexico and Poland but the pressure is on. A draw in either match could make things interesting.

Mexico and Poland played out a 0-0 draw with Lewandowski missing a penalty. 

I'd gone to sleep after the Denmark and Tunisia 0-0 draw that was quite entertaining. 

The alarm woke me at 1.55 am for Australia againgst the French but just before bed I'd read about how one sided that encounter was likely to be so went back to the Land of Nod despite feeling like a footy lightweight.

So it proved as the Aussies were put firmly in their place as they often are when it really matters.

A thumping 4-1 win was the final score with Giroud equalling the French national scoring record with a brace. 

Today in Thailand the 5-8-11-2am schedule continues. This will carry on until the final games of the group stage when double headers at 10pm and 2 am will become the norm. 

This 10pm/2am lark continues until the end of the tournament.

Today's schedule for fans in Thailand is as follows:

Group F:

Morocco vs Croatia at 5pm.

Group E:

Germany vs Japan at 8pm.

Group E:

Spain vs Costa Rica at 11pm.

Group F:

Belgium vs Canada at 2am.

Highlight is the meeting of Germany and Japan at a great time for Thai viewers.

Germany often go into tournaments with people saying this is not the team of old, then they win 4-1 and everyone says they are going to be crowned winners again.

Despite being English and indoctrinated in anti-German propaganda since birth I actually like them a lot, even if they don't have a word for "fluffy"

However, I have an even softer spot for the Japanese having taught them Englsih for eight years in Bangkok.

It'll still be 4-1 though....

Belgium should also easily see off Canada in the late game.

Unless we are due yet another World Cup shock. 

Meanwhile in other World Cup snippets gleaned by Rooster in the last few hours it was reported that Saudi's King Salman had declared today a public holiday. 

All beheadings are believed to have been put "on hold".

image.jpeg

In the UK official viewing figures suggested that 9.4 million watched the Wales game on regular TVs while 7.4 million watched England.

Much of this discrepancy can be put down to timings with Wales at evening primetime and England in the workday afternoon.

But there comes the lie.

The official figures were for TV and didn't include people watching at work on phones via iPlayer. 

Good to see the Brits still skiving off work with the best of them.

Then came news that Harry Kane is having a scan today. Cue Rooster to ask Mrs R for some garlands to place on the shrine over the bed.

You can't be too careful. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-23

Shocker of a result. Argentina underestimated KSA tenacity, discipline and skill. It was pedestrian football with aimless possession until they were behind. By then, KSA have take tightened their defense to protect their lead. Congrats to KSA displaying excellent discipline in their formation and for representing Asia football.