Jump to content

Food Delivery Apps Policies (vs. Realities) on Delivering Directly to Condos, etc.


Recommended Posts

Needless to say, I'm a big user of food delivery apps and I know many of you are too. 

If you aren't, this topic ain't for you.

Also, if you don't live in a multiple floor condo, etc., this topic ain't for you either.

 

Anyway, now that the filtering is done, I was recently totally shocked to learn that it is official FOOD PANDA policy to forbid their drivers from delivering directly to condo units. 

 

They are only officially allowed only to deliver to outside the building or into the lobby. They are not allowed to use elevators.

 

The shock comes up from the fact that in my experience 90 percent of the drivers do anyway (on request) and I only very recently learned about this official rule.

 

Of course one would hope they would get tipped for that extra effort, but that's another topic.

 

I have this officially confirmed from a very detailed and very specific incident where I discussed this with customer service.

 

Their app doesn't bother to tell you this policy. I was also told by customer service that the policy has been in effect for a very long time,

 

But for some reason it seems to be coming up more as an issue recently.

 

I have been told several times by drivers that my condo specifically doesn't allow it. But I know that's wrong because my condo does allow it. So either drivers saying this are lying or it's lost in translation type thing.

 

The takeaway (ha ha) I would suggest from all this is that IF a driver tells you that he isn't allowed by the COMPANY then do respect and believe that (but it's very unlikely he will tell you that). If he just refuses to do it without comment, then I think that should be respected as well because he's just following the rules of his company so doesn't deserve any grief for that.

 

But I see no reason whatsoever to stop REQUESTING the service if you want it. Usually they will do it regardless.

 

Other Companies?

 

Grab.

 

I don't know of their official policy. Do you? If so, share.

I've found similar levels of agreement as Food Panda; I think probably higher levels.

 

I haven't noticed anything on the app about the policy.

 

Lineman

 

I used them recently for the first time in a very long time. But in their case I clearly saw their policy while ordering. NOT ALLOWED.

 

Of course I asked anyway, and the driver did agree.

 

To add:

 

In practice paying in cash increases the chance they will agree. Because if it's already paid they can just leave the order at your security desk if you have that. If it's cash they need to collect money and better chance of getting a cash tip.

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes some condos don't allow, but mine does.

Also some condos banned it during peak covid but now have allowed.

I assume some drivers told me my condo won't allow because they've experienced other condos that don't and if not experienced can't be expected to know all the different policies.

Of course the issue of this topic is irrelevant if your condo doesn't allow it.

I do find it funny, typical Thailand that the vast majority of drivers ignore the company policy. You might cynically say they expect a tip but I've had many surprised by any tip even giving this extra not required service. 

Although not a tipping topic, I think not tipping if they bring directly to your condo really mean. 

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Here in Bangkok I always assumed that Grab etc. Would only deliver to security /reception. The app notifies when leaving restaurant, nearby and the driver will call if necessary. It's not like it's difficult to go down and collect the food from them. 

 

I didn't say it was difficult.

It's just a nice service and the fast food places that do their own deliveries deliver to door by default (if allowed). 

I'm in Jomtien.

Parking may be a bigger issue in Bangkok. 

One annoying thing is not knowing whether they will or won't until they arrive. Then you might not be dressed to "go out" if they won't.

I usually message them early in the process with the request. Usually it's Yes or OK, then I know, but more commonly they don't reply at all, so it's impossible to know.

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as hospitals in CNX. Deliver to the ground floor entrance, you go down and retrieve. No shelves. He/She waits for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, seedy said:

Same as hospitals in CNX. Deliver to the ground floor entrance, you go down and retrieve. No shelves. He/She waits for you.

Hospitals makes sense with all the illness in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Caldera said:

My condo requires key cards for the elevators and security wouldn't swipe theirs for each and every food delivery rider (hint: there's a steady succession of them) that rocks up. Whatever their policies might be. Case closed.

 

Getting deliveries is bad enough for me. But I would never want to be the kind of useless couch potato that can't even be arsed to pick up the deliveries in the lobby. 

When you pay for deliveries you're paying for convenience.

Less shopping, less getting transport, less cooking, easier clean up, etc.

So logically since you're paying for convenience the more convenuence the better.

Not delivering to your actual unit for whatever reason good or not is less than optimal convenience.

Say you lived in a gated villa community and you were required to visit the guard gate for every delivery. Not good. It's fine if you're satisfied with the incomplete deliveries at your building but I reckon you wouldn't complain if you could get deliveries directly to your unit. 

Also to note there may come a time when you are ill, injured, disabled, or a frail elder. Surely you would appreciate complete delivery then I would think.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2022 at 10:44 PM, Jingthing said:

It's just a nice service

I don't think my Lumphini condo allows delivery riders upstairs but even if they did I'd go and meet them myself at the security post at the entrance to the building where they're forced to park up. 

 

They seem to dawdle from the bike to the lobby so I like to be out there to uhm, grab mah food as soon as they arrive. 

 

Sometimes I'm need to go and chase the rider down because some of them either can't read or can't follow the map and go across the road or next door or just sit in the Soi outside my condo looking lost.

Edited by Lemsta69
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Also to note there may come a time when you are ill, injured, disabled, or a frail elder. Surely you would appreciate complete delivery then I would think.

Good point. That's one more thing to add to the list of condo requirements when the time comes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

When you pay for deliveries you're paying for convenience.

Less shopping, less getting transport, less cooking, easier clean up, etc.

So logically since you're paying for convenience the more convenuence the better.

Not delivering to your actual unit for whatever reason good or not is less than optimal convenience.

Say you lived in a gated villa community and you were required to visit the guard gate for every delivery. Not good. It's fine if you're satisfied with the incomplete deliveries at your building but I reckon you wouldn't complain if you could get deliveries directly to your unit. 

Also to note there may come a time when you are ill, injured, disabled, or a frail elder. Surely you would appreciate complete delivery then I would think.

Cheers.

I'm not frail (much) but anytime something is delivered for me to the condo the maintenance guy brings it to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2022 at 11:26 PM, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

I lived in the same building pre-covid and they allowed deliveries to the unit and it was great.  Upon returning post-covid I just assumed that it would return to normal and so didn't bother to ask, and so I was very sad to find out that no, no more deliveries, this after I sign the lease of course, and now I'm this sad figure who has to shuffle downstairs and wait curbside for my food to arrive.

 

It's actually causing me to consider moving to a house or some other abode where delivery to my door is available.

 

You get older it's that big of a deal.

My experience as well. 'Tis a bummer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2022 at 12:22 PM, Jingthing said:

When you pay for deliveries you're paying for convenience.

Less shopping, less getting transport, less cooking, easier clean up, etc.

So logically since you're paying for convenience the more convenuence the better.

Not delivering to your actual unit for whatever reason good or not is less than optimal convenience.

Say you lived in a gated villa community and you were required to visit the guard gate for every delivery. Not good. It's fine if you're satisfied with the incomplete deliveries at your building but I reckon you wouldn't complain if you could get deliveries directly to your unit. 

Also to note there may come a time when you are ill, injured, disabled, or a frail elder. Surely you would appreciate complete delivery then I would think.

Cheers.

Yep.

 

My building doesn't allow food delivery drivers to deliver directly to residential units, but, interestingly, the management allows drivers from Lotus, Makro, et al, who make deliveries which are large enough to require the use of the freight elevators to come to my door.

 

Edited by fusion58
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fusion58 said:

Yep.

 

My building doesn't allow food delivery drivers to deliver directly to residential units, but, interestingly, the management allows drivers from Lotus, Makro, et al, who make deliveries which are large enough to require the use of the freight elevators to come to my door.

 

Yeah that was my assumption that even in buildings that don't allow direct food deliveries, would allow bigger deliveries like a big order of groceries. 

...

Or sofas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fusion58 said:

Yep.

 

My building doesn't allow food delivery drivers to deliver directly to residential units, but, interestingly, the management allows drivers from Lotus, Makro, et al, who make deliveries which are large enough to require the use of the freight elevators to come to my door.

 

Mine doesn't. The lobby area often looks like a post office. Absolutely no one other than residents or guests go upstairs and I like it that way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Mine doesn't. The lobby area often looks like a post office. Absolutely no one other than residents or guests go upstairs and I like it that way.

To each his own.

I'm for free movement of meals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To each his own.

I'm for free movement of meals. 

I'd put money on the riders' preferring to deliver their food at the entrance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'd put money on the riders' preferring to deliver their food at the entrance.

They do unless they think there will be a tip to finish the job. It's my impression that most Thais don't tip drivers AT ALL. 

So I don't feel guilty to ask.

They can say no. 

Another thing I've noticed which is kind of weird. Many of the drivers seem to have a lot of pride of service in doing these jobs and I think that they get that to the door is a complete service so if they get satisfaction from doing this service, that's more satisfaction.

Some may think I'm imagining something that isn't there, but that is how I perceive it with easily at least half of them. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Jingthing said:

They do unless they think there will be a tip to finish the job. It's my impression that most Thais don't tip drivers AT ALL. 

And conversely, many drivers get a tip anyway, even at the door.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

And conversely, many drivers get a tip anyway, even at the door.

Most don't and understandably the odds of a better tip with full service.

Even then the majority that don't know me personally already don't seem to expect any tip even to the door!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would you expect room service from Panda or Grab? 

 

The least you can do is to rent a condo with a doorman. 

 

Just tip your doorman USD500.00 every Christmas Eve, and he/she will carry your orders from the lobby to your door, throughout the year. 

 

By the way, how much pampering do you really need in order for you to finally feel satisfied that you are top dog? 

 

Next thing you know, there will be those here who may wish to have the Grab drivers spoonfeed them, as if they were infants or paraplegics. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah that was my assumption that even in buildings that don't allow direct food deliveries, would allow bigger deliveries like a big order of groceries. 

...

Or sofas. 

At my condo... nothing is allowed to enter without the owner or renter permision.
Even big deliveries (Sofa, Frigo), you have to go down to pick them up and let them up in the cargo elevator.

And I think that's one kind of security. If the condo let in every person, then in my opinion the security is of no use at all, as everybody can go up and break into your room.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

At my condo... nothing is allowed to enter without the owner or renter permision.
Even big deliveries (Sofa, Frigo), you have to go down to pick them up and let them up in the cargo elevator.

And I think that's one kind of security. If the condo let in every person, then in my opinion the security is of no use at all, as everybody can go up and break into your room.

I completely agree.

Even for large orders of food from Tops weighing 100 kilograms, we always need to go down to the lobby, just for the security of other guests in our building. This is a rule that everybody abides by.

 

But, of course, there are always ways around the rules, without compromising security.

 

If one is too lazy to get dressed to go downstairs, then it is possible to lower a wicker basket on a rope, if the food has been prepaid, or if one just wants to lower the cash down to the delivery person.

image.jpeg.4d34431ed1585f24ca74cb99f567bbb6.jpeg

 

But then, there is always the risk of something going terribly wrong....

 

 

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of yous condo guards are like little dictators innit.

And apparently some residents have the Stockholm syndrome.

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

At my condo... nothing is allowed to enter without the owner or renter permision.
Even big deliveries (Sofa, Frigo), you have to go down to pick them up and let them up in the cargo elevator.

And I think that's one kind of security. If the condo let in every person, then in my opinion the security is of no use at all, as everybody can go up and break into your room.

Hyperbole.

Food delivery people are not everybody.

They provide a useful service for residents.

They wear uniforms. 

They are masked when required. 

I'm so happy my condo isn't controlled by people with a pole up their ass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Why would you expect room service from Panda or Grab? 

 

The least you can do is to rent a condo with a doorman. 

 

Just tip your doorman USD500.00 every Christmas Eve, and he/she will carry your orders from the lobby to your door, throughout the year. 

 

By the way, how much pampering do you really need in order for you to finally feel satisfied that you are top dog? 

 

Next thing you know, there will be those here who may wish to have the Grab drivers spoonfeed them, as if they were infants or paraplegics. 

 

 

I don’t expect it.

I prefer it and ask for it.

It's not about making me feel top dog.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

No hidden meanings 

I simply would rather not have to schlep the food if at all possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hyperbole.

Food delivery people are not everybody.

They provide a useful service for residents.

They wear uniforms. 

They are masked when required. 

I'm so happy my condo isn't controlled by people with a pole up their ass.

It seems from anecdotal evidence here is that the most common policy is to not allow delivery drivers to enter the building unaccompanied. I can't see this changing so I think it's probably better dropped, you're flogging a dead horse at this point and getting a bit uncivil to boot.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is not for people who live in buildings where it is not allowed.

 

The topic is about asking drivers to deliver to doors in condos where it is allowed.

Edited by Jingthing
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...