U.S. military poised to return to Subic Bay, counter China's presence

webfact

They are just as spooked by the Chinese "synthetic islands" as anyone else in the region.

The Marcos family is back in power, no more of the gov't turning up their noses at Uncle Sam's fine green money.  No problem that Ferdy Jr is not too bright, he has the guidance of experienced leaders, like Duterte Harry.

I just hope Maria Ressa has the sense to go into exile.

https://www.rappler.com/

On the other hand these kleptocrats would probably sell China parts of their country if the price was right, no need for either side to waste money (yes, money again) on munitions.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Chinese media are state controlled, so they will publish any tripe the authorities tell them to. And China is not exactly very popular with their neighbors anyway, after claiming almost the entire South China Sea as Chinese territorial waters. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and The Philippines are certainly no friends of China.   

Yeah, you're right. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Philippines are not friends with China. But, what about Thailand, what Thailand ?  That's what we really want to know.

Will Thailand ever stop being a Chinese colony ?  I don't think Thailand ever will.  Vietnam might be wishing that the Americans had of won that Vietnam War, but Thailand will always be China's younger brother.    ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Great news. Anything to counter the extreme arrogance and lack of grace, with which China is wearing its new found power, in the South China Sea. They are becoming despised in that region. 

News bulletin to Xi. The SCS does not belong to you, or your nation. You will soon find out. 

I'm sorry, but the double standards, or hypocrisy, from people is certainly there.

How about we accept that, America has already had it's turn to try and take over Vietnam and Afghanistan. How about let China carry out it's attempt to take over Vietnam, Afghanistan and Taiwan ?

Also, China is not interested in taking over Nicaragua, Venezuela, and other Latin American countries. Latin America is closer to the USA than China, yes. Let America take over, or continue being in control, of Latin America.  Let China spread it's influence and control over the Far East.  And no, we don't want Japan taking over the Far East, we don't want to see America and China combining in a mass war against Japan. It will be disastrous for Japan, just like last time when it happened.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Is that the one with the concrete castle or the big island further out as I suspect?

Not sure about castle, I'm curious. I haven't been to Subic in 4 yrs. As you approach Subic from the sea Grande Island is to your starboard and you veer right for the piers.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Not sure about castle, I'm curious. I haven't been to Subic in 4 yrs. As you approach Subic from the sea Grande Island is to your starboard and you veer right for the piers.

You've been there more recently than I have but that would make it the larger island near the heads. The other is closer to the shore off Baloy beach.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You've been there more recently than I have but that would make it the larger island near the heads. The other is closer to the shore off Baloy beach.

Grande Is is not far from Baloy Beach, I've taken a bonka boat from Barrio Barreto to go snorkeling off the shores of Grande Is. 

I just googled it, there's a resort on Grande Is. now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

Yeah.  Funny how the most capable Chinese people don't live in China.  Maybe they don't like the government.

What a funny remark (politely said).

Where did you read they are the most capable Chinese people? So, you think that nobody more capable in China left? 

And what about you? You too do not like your govt? (in case you do not stay with them?)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought the Philippines already chose China as their buddies in the South China Sea. Duterte did a deal with the Chinese. America is just wasting money to return to a country that'll sell them out in the snap of your fingers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saanim said:

What a funny remark (politely said).

Where did you read they are the most capable Chinese people? So, you think that nobody more capable in China left? 

And what about you? You too do not like your govt? (in case you do not stay with them?)

Let's take a look at the number of Chinese Nobel Prize winners https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_Nobel_laureates  :

Living in the People's Republic of China (mainland China):  2

Living in the Republic of China (Taiwan):  4

Living outside of either China:  6

Perhaps I should have specified that the most capable Chinese people don't want to live in communist China.  Either that or the communist government doesn't allow its most capable people to excel.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Let's take a look at the number of Chinese Nobel Prize winners https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_Nobel_laureates  :

Living in the People's Republic of China (mainland China):  2

Living in the Republic of China (Taiwan):  4

Living outside of either China:  6

Perhaps I should have specified that the most capable Chinese people don't want to live in communist China.  Either that or the communist government doesn't allow its most capable people to excel.

Hmmm. Slightly skewed stats. China has had 13 winners since 1957. India, 11 in all, including Rudyard Kipling! Most laureates listed belong to countries who were in from the start, ie 1901. The PRC only came into being in 1949. It's obvious looking at China's achievements in the last 50 years they have, and have had, amongst the best scientists/engineers in the world. India has had a whole group of astounding mathematicians who never got recognised, but then there's no Nobel prize for mathematics. Just for instance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_country#

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Hmmm. Slightly skewed stats. China has had 13 winners since 1957. India, 11 in all, including Rudyard Kipling! Most laureates listed belong to countries who were in from the start, ie 1901. The PRC only came into being in 1949. It's obvious looking at China's achievements in the last 50 years they have, and have had, amongst the best scientists/engineers in the world. India has had a whole group of astounding mathematicians who never got recognised, but then there's no Nobel prize for mathematics. Just for instance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_country#

There have been 13 Chinese winners of the Nobel Prize since 1957.  Only three lived in mainland China win they won the prize.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_Nobel_laureates

Edited by heybruce
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Saanim said:

Do you really mean it? (I am worried about you in case you would say something like this when visiting Vietnam)

I was being a bit sarcastic, trying to be funny.
I'm trying to highlight the silly attitude some people have. America turning up at various countries is regarded as "spreading freedom and democracy".  China turning up at various countries is regarded as "exploitation and colonisation".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed a whole load of irrelevant comments about Chinese being outside of China, and Chinese people winning Nobel prizes.
Okay, what's the difference between Europeans in Canada and Brazil, and, and Chinese in various Far East countries ?  Surely, it's the same thing ?

Lots of Europeans and Chinese leaving their home doesn't actually mean that they hate their home.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

I've noticed a whole load of irrelevant comments about Chinese being outside of China, and Chinese people winning Nobel prizes.
Okay, what's the difference between Europeans in Canada and Brazil, and, and Chinese in various Far East countries ?  Surely, it's the same thing ?

Lots of Europeans and Chinese leaving their home doesn't actually mean that they hate their home.

Agree. Israelis born outside Israel? Americans born outside America?