Does anyone know of someone in Pattaya to reccomend for kitchen knife sharpening

Longwood50

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You'll get an answer to this question on Facebook Pattaya Oracle.

I occasionally see guys wheeling round loads of knives, I'm sure they sharpen knives and must be based somewhere

They are quite rare these day but yes, there are.... knife sharpeners doing the rounds. I took several knives out one time and he made a right mess of them!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

I bought a knife sharpener for 100 baht.

Result...razor sharp knives. Have to be careful putting my hand in the cutlery draw afterwards as just rubbing against them slices into fingers.

Way better than done by hand on a wet stone.

38 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They are quite rare these day but yes, there are.... knife sharpeners doing the rounds. I took several knives out one time and he made a right mess of them!

This is not exclusive to Pattaya, I have also had a similar experience with a knife sharpening guy.

I dont know exact location   but in Naklua old town there is a tiny shop that  sharpens   most local Barbers  Razors,  Scissors, etc .. maybe a Naklua resident on here  can   help more with exact location

• Like 1

I don't live in the area.....but search for ลับคมกรรไกร น่าเกลือ (scissor sharpeners in NaKlua) shows https://www.facebook.com/people/ร้านลับกรรไกรประเทืองการช่าง/100057712560635/

You might find a guy on a bike who can do a decent job sharpening knives, but you'll probably find the professional scissor sharpeners like that above doing a move decent job.

• Thanks 2

If you can't find a good professional sharpener in Pattaya ask for recommendations from butchers in Villa, Friendship Market, etc.

Using a whetstone is an art that takes time to learn.   There are good videos on YouTube showing how to do this.  Here is one I recommend: Basic Knife Skills with Andrew Zimmern.  He keeps it simple, but don't try to go back and forth, just sharpen each side in one direction.  Learning how to do this properly will take lots of practice but it is THE way to put a good edge on a knife.  You need multiple grit levels.  If you take care of your knives then this is sufficient - 1000 grit to do the sharpening and 6000 grit to polish the edge.  [Ship From Thailand] Knife Sharpener sharpening stone Whetstone knife sharpening machine stone secret sharp honing TOOL 1000 6000 Grit  Sharpening once or twice a year is sufficient for home cooks.

Sharpening puts a very thin edge on a blade, an edge with microscopic teeth so the edge is like a miniature saw blade.  The best way to cut is by moving the blade forward and/or backward so the teeth saw through what you are cutting.  A good test of the edge of a kitchen knife is is to see if the weight of the blade alone is enough to cut a tomato as you draw the blade across the tomato.

Don't store your kitchen knifes loose in a drawer.  The blades can hit each other and damage the edges.  Get a wooden drawer liner with trays for each individual knife or get a wooden knife block.  If you get a wooden knife block that stores the blades vertically slide them into the block with the back of the knife against the wood, not the edge.

This sharpening device is sold by several professional chefs who have YouTube channels, along with everything from dish cloths to pots and pans.  Amazing how it is a tiny fraction of the cost on Lazada as it is on the professional chefs sites.  3 Stage Manual Knife Sharpener  I have one of these and it is good for temporarily putting an edge on a dull knife if you need it right then, just use it judicially, and be sure to use a steel afterward.

Get a steel (steel, not diamond or ceramic since they are too aggressive and can quickly ruin the edge of a knife).  Here is an example PRESTIGE COOK'S KNIVES 8" SHARPENING STEEL .  Cutting bends the tiny teeth on the edge of the knife, the steel doesn't sharpen the blade, it realigns the cutting teeth.  Two or three gentle strokes is all that is needed to realign the edge's teeth.

Don't waste money on plastic cutting boards - they get small cuts in them that trap bacteria.  Get a real wooden cutting board, sand it down a couple of times a year, and keep it oiled properly to seal it.  Get a roll of this Foam Rubber Anti-Slip Shelf Box Drawer Liner Placemat For Kitchen Cupboard.  Cut off a piece to place under your cutting board and it won't slip - don't use a wet towel if you have marble counter tops since prolonged exposure to water is not good for marble counter tops.

How many knifes do you need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denim said:

I bought a knife sharpener for 100 baht.

Result...razor sharp knives. Have to be careful putting my hand in the cutlery draw afterwards as just rubbing against them slices into fingers.

Way better than done by hand on a wet stone.

Did you buy a knife sharpener or buy a 'wet stone' ?

47 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Did you buy a knife sharpener or buy a 'wet stone' ?

Knife sharpener . One of these. 80 baht :

14 Best Knife Sharpeners 2019 | The Strategist

Best compact knife sharpener with suction cup

SunrisePro Knife Sharpener

This compact knife sharpener has many fans. “Finally a sharpener that gets my kitchen blade REALLY sharp. I’ve bought countless blade sharpeners and this is by far the absolute best I’ve ever used,” says one reviewer, adding, “this little beast is small for easy storage and the suction cup (so far) really grips any clean flat surface and doesn’t slip at all once the lever has been pulled down.” Dozens of reviewers also rave about the suction cup at the bottom of this knife sharpener, which allows it to be used on nearly any surface. “The suction cup grips well on smooth surfaces: granite, glass, smooth tile or formica,” says a happy customer. Another adds, “It grips even better if you spritz a little liquid on the rubber suction cup first.” A third raves, “As an experiment, I adhered ours to a window and it stayed firmly on that vertical surface for three days!” One reviewer concludes that this little sharpener is “very easy to use, affordable price, and about the size of the Eclipse gum container. I have a few serrated knives and several steak knives that definitely needed attention. They are now sharp!! I’m very happy with this sharpener and it’s a great item for gifting.”

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-knife-sharpener.html

Edited by Denim

On 11/26/2022 at 1:44 PM, Denim said:

Knife sharpener . One of these. 80 baht :

14 Best Knife Sharpeners 2019 | The Strategist

Best compact knife sharpener with suction cup

SunrisePro Knife Sharpener

This compact knife sharpener has many fans. “Finally a sharpener that gets my kitchen blade REALLY sharp. I’ve bought countless blade sharpeners and this is by far the absolute best I’ve ever used,” says one reviewer, adding, “this little beast is small for easy storage and the suction cup (so far) really grips any clean flat surface and doesn’t slip at all once the lever has been pulled down.” Dozens of reviewers also rave about the suction cup at the bottom of this knife sharpener, which allows it to be used on nearly any surface. “The suction cup grips well on smooth surfaces: granite, glass, smooth tile or formica,” says a happy customer. Another adds, “It grips even better if you spritz a little liquid on the rubber suction cup first.” A third raves, “As an experiment, I adhered ours to a window and it stayed firmly on that vertical surface for three days!” One reviewer concludes that this little sharpener is “very easy to use, affordable price, and about the size of the Eclipse gum container. I have a few serrated knives and several steak knives that definitely needed attention. They are now sharp!! I’m very happy with this sharpener and it’s a great item for gifting.”

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-knife-sharpener.html

That is similar to the one I recommended from Lazada except the one from Lazada has hardened steel disks you can use first if you have really abused your knife and it is extremely dull.  Both are good and easy to use.  Whetstone sharpening is better but damn hard to master, something I haven't really been able to do in 50 years of trying.

By the way IAMHERE, it is pronounced "whet stone", often mispronounced wet stone because the stone is used wet.  The name is based on to older term "whet", which means to sharpen. 

Got to love Etymology, it is so interesting to find out where words come from and how they have changed spelling and pronunciation over the years.