"If possible we deliver next week"

sqwakvfr

Would anyone on this forum consider this as an acceptable answer from an international shipping company.  The initials are FedEX.  This is actually a continuation of my saga in getting a replacement card from USAA FSB in San Antonio, Texas.

After a week of phone calls to USAA (it was mostly 100 AM for me) I got USAA to send me a replacement credit card through FedEx. I was given a tracking# and a delivery date and time.  I thought my problems were over.  I was wrong.  

The FedEx Tracking page showed the envelope took this route:

1. Indianapolis, In

2. Memphis, TN

3. Anchorage, AK

4. Guangzhou CN

5. BKK

All this took under 3 days.

Customs Clearance took 2 hours and then the envelope was sent to the logistics warehouse in Samut Prakan where it has been sitting for 2 days.  FedEx missed the delivery date and time.  I called FedEx customer service in Bangkok and got an "Amazing" response.  The representative first said the envelope was still with customs.  This was incorrect and I told her the tracking site does not indicate as such.  She put me on hold and then another representative came on said "if possible we deliver next week".  I said this was not okay.  She then said "no choice you accept next week or you come to Bangkok and get your package".  Now my sarcastic side pops up and asked "will you pay for my flight from Chiang Mai?  Now she is angry and said "no you pay or you wait".  At this point I gave up because in Thailand the foreigner is wrong most of the time.  In essence "I should just smile, bow and walk away".  Just another day in the Land of Smiles.  

It took FedEx International 3 days to take an envelope over 9000 miles but it will take FedEx Thailand 4 days to travel 400 miles.  My guess is FedEx Thailand is a local company contracted by FedEx International.  I wonder if Lazada or Shopee could do better?  

Smile, bow and walkway.

• Haha 1

Personally I would take her up on her "offer" and then, once finally received, I would write an email to FedEx in the US detailing what happened. The email would be concise and polite.

I am a "guest" in a foreign country and I fully get that they run the ship how they run the ship. However, if they want to represent a global brand then they need to at least appear to be living up to global standards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Update.  The Saga is over.  I got a call from the FedEx driver at 400 PM on Saturday.  He said “I am here”.  Got the replacement card.  I stand corrected: It took FedEx Thailand only 1.5 days to take my FedEx enevlope 400 miles.  Progress in Thailand.  Next time I send anything important to the US I will have to consider UPS or DHL in Thailand.  

What you should try to understand is that the person you called is very unlikely to be in the Wharehouse where your package was. She would have been looking at the same Tracking info on her P.C that you were looking at on your phone.

Complaining because it took 1.5 days to deliver is Pathetic in the extreme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

What you should try to understand is that the person you called is very unlikely to be in the Wharehouse where your package was. She would have been looking at the same Tracking info on her P.C that you were looking at on your phone.

Complaining because it took 1.5 days to deliver is Pathetic in the extreme.

Yes it is pathetic because FedEx has a standard for meeting delivery date and time deadlines.  The Thai Version of FedEx seems to place a low priority on delivery dates and times.  Also, on my first call to FedEx Thailand the rep claimed “package in Customs”.  The FedEx tracking application clearly indicated the package had cleared Thai customs in under 2 hours and the package had been in Samui Prakan warehouse for mor than 10 hours.   The package then was delivered at the end of the next day(a full 24 hours past it’s delivery deadline).  But of course TIT-where deadlines mean very little.  If it was “Siam” Delivery service then I would have nothing to complain about but it was FedEx(allegedly the global leader in On-Time Deliveries).  

Yes. your opinion must be right and I am pathetic in the extreme.  

Also, you lack the full context as to what the complete story about this issue is.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Yes it is pathetic because FedEx has a standard for meeting delivery date and time deadlines.  The Thai Version of FedEx seems to place a low priority on delivery dates and times.  Also, on my first call to FedEx Thailand the rep claimed “package in Customs”.  The FedEx tracking application clearly indicated the package had cleared Thai customs in under 2 hours and the package had been in Samui Prakan warehouse for mor than 10 hours.   The package then was delivered at the end of the next day(a full 24 hours past it’s delivery deadline).  But of course TIT-where deadlines mean very little.  If it was “Siam” Delivery service then I would have nothing to complain about but it was FedEx(allegedly the global leader in On-Time Deliveries).  

Yes. your opinion must be right and I am pathetic in the extreme.  

Also, you lack the full context as to what the complete story about this issue is.  

Your contract for delivery and any promised timelines was with Fedex in the USA. Why are you not directing your ire in their direction and seeking compensation from them re breach of contract.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Your contract for delivery and any promised timelines was with Fedex in the USA. Why are you not directing your ire in their direction and seeking compensation from them re breach of contract.

I did contact FedEx in the USA.  Their call center is in India.  FedEx claims to be an International company and they do not adjust their delivery deadline along national borders.  This is an important lesson I have learned about FedEx:  Depending on delivery destination the deadline stated on FedEx.com means absolutely nothing. Also, calling the 1-800 Customer Service means pretty much nothing.  Therefore, I have done a lot more then you might think and much more has occurred than you might be aware of.  

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I did contact FedEx in the USA.  Their call center is in India.  FedEx claims to be an International company and they do not adjust their delivery deadline along national borders.  This is an important lesson I have learned about FedEx:  Depending on delivery destination the deadline stated on FedEx.com means absolutely nothing. Also, calling the 1-800 Customer Service means pretty much nothing.  Therefore, I have done a lot more then you might think and much more has occurred than you might be aware of.  

From what I am reading it looks like it took 6.5 days for your package to go from Indianapolis in the US to Chaing Mai. That is not excessive unless you paid for some Express package that promised less. If so claim a refund for the Express charge from Fedex USA. If they will not compensate you, don't use them again.

47 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

From what I am reading it looks like it took 6.5 days for your package to go from Indianapolis in the US to Chaing Mai. That is not excessive unless you paid for some Express package that promised less. If so claim a refund for the Express charge from Fedex USA. If they will not compensate you, don't use them again.

Wow. Because you called me "pathetic" therefore you must be a "genius"?  I was the receiver of the package.  Therefore, I would not have the right to demand compensation. As the receiver of the package I would only be entitled to receive on time delivery and/or timely notification of any delay.  Of course I got neither.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

On 11/27/2022 at 9:20 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Update.  The Saga is over.  I got a call from the FedEx driver at 400 PM on Saturday.  He said “I am here”.  Got the replacement card.  I stand corrected: It took FedEx Thailand only 1.5 days to take my FedEx enevlope 400 miles.  Progress in Thailand.  Next time I send anything important to the US I will have to consider UPS or DHL in Thailand.  

Not a betting man but if I were my money would be on the experience with those other companies being no different to the current one?