Thai national's first visit to UK - any suggestions?

we have a pending visit to UK starting next week and i wanted to ask 2 things of those here with more knowledge/experience of such matters than myself: -

i) are there any places in UK you can suggest, other than the obvious major UK tourist attractions, that have a strong Thai link/interest (only place i can think she might want to visit is Buddhapadipa Temple, Wimbledon)?

ii) i asked her to bring some inexpensive Thai souvenirs to give to my family here to get a genuine Thai experience (my suggestion of candy/cookies/dried durian fruit seems more like "western" souvenirs than typically Thai).

we have weekend trips to London and Edinburgh already arranged, and no doubt we'll visit (North) Wales, York and possibly Leicester City! but i've a few more trips to add still.

11 minutes ago, Denim said:

Find a good genuine car boot sale and take her there. I found that Thais I have taken there enjoy the bargains and get an idea of how to recycle unwanted household items.

Bad time to be going weather wise. Might be cold and wet plus the early nights can spoil days out in the country so plenty of indoor excursions as a back up might be useful.

One of the things my wife most enjoyed was snow ! Life long dream of seeing it and touching it satisfied.

she also dreams of seeing snow, but other than the mountains of Scotland there's little chance of seeing any in December.

My wife was really taken by the old architecture, she loved Cambridge and Kings College (but who doesn't). The Lake District was a real wow also, as were all the major sights in London. Other possibilities include Oxford and the Cotswolds, The Yorkshire Dales, big city shopping in Manchester or Leeds (if not close to London), my wife really enjoys all those places. Oh yes, take her on a train and a double decker bus.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

The Yorkshire Dales, big city shopping in Manchester or Leeds (if not close to London),

Wife loved the clothes shops in Manchester. Cheaper than London. Also took her on the tram then another buffet lunch in Manchesters China Town. She even enjoyed the motorway driving and at how far better they are than anything in Thailand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Why Leicester? my Mrs visited me there twice and hated the dump, so did I and I grew up there. There is the football club with the Thai connection that's about it.

she is a fan of Buriram United (we visited earlier this year) and she tells me that 4 of their players are training with Leicester City at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ipeterrobinson17 said:

she is a fan of Buriram United (we visited earlier this year) and she tells me that 4 of their players are training with Leicester City at the moment.

Do the Old Trafford tour and get a photo of her wearing a BUFC shirt - that will go down well on social media.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are touching on something important there.

Don't ask US where you should take her, get her to do some research into where SHE would l;ike to go and what she would like to see.

For our first trip I organised everything based on what I thought she would enjoy; I wasn't wrong but for future UK visits (and Europe) I told my missus to come up with a list of places to see - and the reasons why. I wanted her invested in the planning aspect of the trips.

My missus wanted to see snow so we went to the Highlands in late March. Easyjet flights to Inverness are cheap. 

Pack dry Mama noodles and chilli. Avoid over-priced UK Thai restaurants that sell dumped down versions of Thai food but find someone that your wife can speak Thai to at least once a week. Avoid the local Thai mafia.

i already did that but she knows little of UK other than Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament, London Eye and a few football teams.

1 minute ago, ipeterrobinson17 said:

i already did that but she knows little of UK other than Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament, London Eye and a few football teams.

I bet she knows a lot more about places in Thailand that she has never been to.

Social media is brilliant for broadening the mind, or researching places that you might want to see. Even in Thai they can Google "where should I visit on my first trip to the UK".

My missus asked if we could visit Lausanne in Switzerland. "Why Lausanne, I asked"......... she went on to explain that the late King spent his early years with his mother and she would like to see where he lived.  A good enough explanation, so we went. This year we are taking in Budapest because she thought it looked interest on You Tube bloggs etc.

London Eye is worth a look but London offers so much more with riverside walks, old fashioned pubs (try looking up the Prospect of Whitby, the oldest riverside pub in the UK in the Docklands area.  Take in a show but remember the language/culture barriers; we did Phantom of the Opera - we were also lucky to find the Killers performing at Wembley on one visit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ipeterrobinson17 said:

she's more interested in visiting Manchester City and even Liverpool before MUFC!

Then she needs re-educating.  ????

The Old Trafford tour is actually very good and the souvenirs from there were well received by Buriram family members - even if they did support Liverpool!@

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Then she needs re-educating.  ????

The Old Trafford tour is actually very good and the souvenirs from there were well received by Buriram family members - even if they did support Liverpool!@

i'm a part-time MUFC fan and even i'm not that interested in visiting Old Trafford - i'd rather go to Oakwell!

Tell her to wrap up warm. UK at this time of year can feel very cold for a Thai.

Depending on her interests, maybe the Natural History museum (especially the dinosaur skeleton and the Blue Whale), Science Museums, or V and A Museum (fashion history).. Perhaps Kew Gardens. Maybe check out any Farmer's Markets.  In fact any markets or shopping malls.

Thais, especially the women really seem to miss their home food.

I doubt she will have room for presents. Her suitcase will probably be filled with Thai herb, spices and vegetables to cook her own food. So you might want to warn her about what is, and what is not allowed to be brought into the UK. Not a good start if everything confiscated on arrival.

Try and find a good authentic Thai restaurant for a night out.

HTH.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ipeterrobinson17 said:

i'm a part-time MUFC fan and even i'm not that interested in visiting Old Trafford - i'd rather go to Oakwell!

Jesus!  Your missus is going to have a whale of a time...????

Might as well take her to Jump and Frickley Colliery!

1 hour ago, proton said:

Why Leicester? my Mrs visited me there twice and hated the dump, so did I and I grew up there. There is the football club with the Thai connection that's about it.

Maybe she got your negative Leicester vibe? Lord knows the forum membership already has.