Health Ministry Assures Bed Availability for COVID Patients

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - As COVID-19 infections see a worldwide resurgence, the public is being urged to take precautions during the cold season. The Department of Medical Services (DMS) is advising eligible groups, especially the elderly, to receive booster vaccinations as soon as possible.

DMS Director-General Thongchai Keeratihuttayakorn assured that the number of available beds at hospitals in Greater Bangkok would not be a concern.

Adequate supplies of COVID medication for patients have also been prepared by the DMS.

Dr Thongchai said he expected more reports of respiratory tract and cold patients during the current period between the rainy season and the cold season, accompanied by new COVID cases.

He called for members of the public to be mindful of their health and observe safety measures accordingly.

People are also urged to register for booster doses, as the rate of followup vaccinations falls short of the current target.

The DMS chief also addressed concerns about new COVID sub-variants that are more transmissible and more capable of evading human immune systems.

He explained that the sub-variants have not been found to cause more severe symptoms, with available information suggesting they are actually less virulent than previous strains.

Most hospitalized patients and those in serious condition have been members of vulnerable groups who face heightened risks of developing severe symptoms.

Many were also either unvaccinated or had not yet received a booster injection.

As of November 19, the number of administered booster doses stood at 32 million, falling short of the target to cover at least 50% of the population.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221126181715524

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-11-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

from March 2022 patients have to pay for tests, medical care if they feel sick but below 39C or below 25 breaths per minute and they are not in a risk group.

So they stay home and are rushed to hospital, when their illness is advanced. 

That's one of the reason why they are many empty beds since then.

Even if some of them have private insurance, it doesn't cover them for less than severe cases.

I think their policy should be flexible and if they have space on covid wards, they should keep some patients below those requirements.

11 minutes ago, TooMuchTime said:

I am fully unvaccinated and just laid in my bed for 2 days when I had covid.  Just slept all day and was better on the 3rd.

Lucky you, that's probably better than any booster given in Thailand, where they give old stock as booster instead of the Omicron tuned new versions of Pfizer or Moderna. 

Also, alternatively, I'd like to see a well thought booster strategy something "Moderna + booster(s) should be followed by AZ", etc

Edited by Boomer6969

21 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

I am pretty sure most Thais have their own bed.

I am fully unvaccinated and just laid in my bed for 2 days when I had covid.  Just slept all day and was better on the 3rd.

No worse than a good might out in Pattaya then!