Court orders SBN to stop showing World Cup via AIS Playbox service

webfact

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thanks. After I posted I decided to brave the True website and as you say it requires a "box".

Well, I didn't actually say it needs a box - I said you would normally get one with almost any True Internet package. I'm somewhat surprised that you didn't get one with your fiber optic package.

But in any event, you don't absolutely need a box - you can install the TrueID app on a phone or tablet and stream the channels to your TV (or to any Chromecast-compatible device, at least).

8 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm somewhat surprised that you didn't get one with your fiber optic package.

That's because I went for the internet-only package so all I got was the Gigatex fiber modem/router. I usually only watch TV shows and I get my content from other sources, hence my unfamiliarity with boxes and casting and the like. I'm a fan of tech but it can be overwhelming at times.

tbh I'm not desperate to watch the WC but I'll have a look at the streaming option anyway, if only to learn something new. Thanks for the tip.

Have I missed something here?

Didn't the Government put up 600 million baht for this? So the Thai taxpayers are paying for what now appears to be a True exclusive?

Whether or not True paid the balance, this doesn't sound right.

Fortunately I'm in England right now where ITV and BBC are providing excellent coverage on free to air TV.

You can watch all the games live, full replays, mini matches and Highlights of the games at this site......https://www.sbs.com.au/

You can get most VPNs on a free trial or 30 day money back guarantee.

Try Nord VPN, Surf Shark, Express VPN, etc., etc.

If you have a laptop or PC just connect to your TV with HDMI cable. No other boxes needed.

You can even watch using your mobile/cellphone or Tablet, but you will need to buy a special adapter cable and not ideal.

They also have loads of other content such as movies, news and so on.

Also if you get a VPN you can watch all the games live on either BBC or ITV and also watch full match replays using BBC iPlayer or ITV On Demand.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by Troy Tempest

18 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

That's because I went for the internet-only package so all I got was the Gigatex fiber modem/router. I usually only watch TV shows and I get my content from other sources, hence my unfamiliarity with boxes and casting and the like. I'm a fan of tech but it can be overwhelming at times.

tbh I'm not desperate to watch the WC but I'll have a look at the streaming option anyway, if only to learn something new. Thanks for the tip.

Do you also have a True Move H SIM card? If so, it seems you can get free coverage of World Cup games on True Sports 2 & 5 on your phone (and optionally, cast them to your TV) using the TrueID app with an option called True Unlock.

It also gives you the option to watch all Premier League games for one team of your choosing, for free.

Just look for the True Unlock icon on the TrueID app's main screen.

Screenshot_2022_1129_085834.thumb.png.7ecbfe6cb7d6de4e9d5f27bc21f21da3.png

14 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Do you also have a True Move H SIM card? If so, it seems you can get free coverage of World Cup games on True Sports 2 & 5 on your phone (and optionally, cast them to your TV) using the TrueID app with an option called True Unlock.

It also gives you the option to watch all Premier League games for one team of your choosing, for free.

Just look for the True Unlock icon on the TrueID app's main screen.

Screenshot_2022_1129_085834.thumb.png.7ecbfe6cb7d6de4e9d5f27bc21f21da3.png

Thank you very much and yes I can use that option. I found out about that after reading @GroveHillWanderer's post. I tried it out on a replay and the video on my phone was a nice smooth 1080p.

However when I cast it to the Samsung UHD/HDR panel from my Galaxy S22+ using Sammy SmartView I found that the video was a bit "stuttery". Still watchable but not quite as enjoyable as unbuffered, high bitrate 1080p or 2160p streaming. Maybe next World Cup ????????

Live matches are only 720p but I guess that's better than nothing. I'll use this method when I find a match that I really want to watch. Or go to the pub if it's an early game, Bangkok seems to have no shortage of sports bars. 

It's a shame that True don't have a TV app that I can use to stream at 4K. I'd have been happy to pay a couple thou just for the World Cup.

Edited by Lemsta69
removed annoying bold text

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

It's a shame that True don't have a TV app that I can use to stream at 4K. I'd have been happy to pay a couple thou just for the World Cup

Well, there is the afore-mentioned TrueID TV box, which as a True Internet subscriber you can get, either for a couple of thousand - or possibly for free, depending on which package you have. It is capable of 4K output and you may get that for some movies but I don't believe any of the True Sports channels are in 4K - just 1080p (HD).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1