Your recommendations for best way to obtain new visa-exempt entry

I'm in Thailand (from the US) on a 45-day visa-exempt entry that I got a 30 day extension for. My current stamp expires December 17th. But this is a relocation, not a vacation, and I have a load of belongings on a ship coming here and due around January 13.

Due to a dumbass mistake wherein I lost my debit card in an ATM, my intended business with a visa agent to obtain a Non-O (with bank workaround... please don't judge me) could not take place because I couldn't gather the 28k baht in cash within the needed time window, as I couldn't use the ATM and my bank then sabotaged me by sending a replacement card (that I spent $112 having rush shipped to me via UPS!) which they instantly shut down when I tried to use it (long story, but basically being in Thailand keeps triggering their anti-fraud systems despite that I pounded the point home to them when opening the account that the account was going to be used from Thailand and that they need to be aware of this so that they wouldn't do this exact thing to me!).

I finally got money sent to me by a family member, and I have a second replacement debit card arriving in a couple of days that I will activate more carefully with a human bank rep on the phone to try to prevent them from doing that to me again. But now my window of time to do the Non-O is closed (because I believe it can't be done within two weeks of stamp expiration on this kind of entry---please correct me if that's wrong) and my only choice is to do some kind of border run to get another 45-day stamp and more time to get together with a visa agent and get the Non-O process rolling.

I'm looking at doing a border run with one of those companies that drives you to a crossing and back. I will be in Chiang Mai in a few days and am looking at possible ways of doing it. There is a company called chiangmaivisarun dot com I'm looking at using that does a run to Huay Xai in Laos, but I'm also willing to fly somewhere from CM, stay a day or two, and then fly back, but it looks like the ticket costs for anywhere I can think of (Vientiane, PP) are too high. Any recommendations on how I should do it? Thanks for any help.

Edited by PadPrikKhing
  • Haha 2

A run with an agency from Chiang Mai to a border with Laos is a reasonable option, depending on cost and the nature of the transport used. Notably, it can mean a cramped van with lots of sweaty, oversized Westerners. Although requiring some initiative on your part, it is possible to do the run more cheaply, albeit taking a couple of hours more, using public transport, and this can end up being more comfortable. If money is not the primary consideration, it may also be possible to negotiate a good price with a taxi to take you to the border, wait until you cross and return, and bring you back to Chiang Mai.

If you want more details on what is required to do this border bounce under your own steam, ask.

If you prefer a little holiday instead, you can fly from Chiang Mai to Hanoi on Air Asia for around 6,000 baht return, leaving December 11 and returning December 14. This will require a 30-day e-visa for Vietnam as US citizens do not receive visa exempt entry to Vietnam.

3 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Due to a dumbass mistake wherein I lost my debit card in an ATM

This is why the dirty cash is still useful. Too easy for the fantastic plastic to fail. I usually bring a couple grand cash with me just in case. Except when I came in last December to do the agent thing like you. I forgot to go to the ATM at SYD and totally didn't realise it until I landed in BKK with no cold hard cash in mah pocket ????

Many years ago I did a border run from CM to Myanmar by van, fairly painless, get dropped off, get stamped out, walk across a bridge, get stamped in and out, walk back, get stamped in, wander around the town until home journey. Not sure of current border status after Covid hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Many years ago I did a border run from CM to Myanmar by van, fairly painless, get dropped off, get stamped out, walk across a bridge, get stamped in and out, walk back, get stamped in, wander around the town until home journey. Not sure of current border status after Covid hit.

Myanmar borders are closed.

Not sure why the OP posted details of his situation.

It is easy to do a border run from CM .

He will receive a 45 day stamp and that can be extended by 30 days if necessary. 

Plenty of time to sort out banking issues.

Based on tract record a border run company is good idea

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I've decided I'm going to go with the border run transport company I mentioned, either with a group or hiring a private car. I made a reservation for a group run, but might change to a private car run at 3X the price (about 6k) so that I can have some control over bathroom stops, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, DrJack54 said:

Seems the OP intends to do border run from CM

IDK.  maybe he open to a weekend vacation at the beach before doing run.  I think round trip flights less than 2k.

Kill 2 birds with one stone for same prices he mentioned.

just info he can assimilate and make decisions with.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, PadPrikKhing said:

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I've decided I'm going to go with the border run transport company I mentioned, either with a group or hiring a private car. I made a reservation for a group run, but might change to a private car run at 3X the price (about 6k) so that I can have some control over bathroom stops, etc. 

thought about that myself.  

@DrJack54 is there any paperwork required when going from here to cambodia and back?  or just stamp into cambodia and stamp back into Thailand?

3 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

is there any paperwork required when going from here to cambodia and back?  or just stamp into cambodia and stamp back into Thailand?

You will need to apply for a visa on arrival to enter Cambodia.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to apply for a visa on arrival to enter Cambodia.

is that done at the border, or something done online?  or option C 

This will be my first land border crossing since being here.  

Thanks UbonJoe ????

@ OP. getting CC's is seems near impossible.  I've successfully gotten ONE out of 6 sent by my banks.

#1 Solution:  Go get yourself a thai bank account immediately.  Bangkok bank has the least hoops to do, basically just a residency cert.  Or pay an agent $100 to set on up where ever you want.  
Getting money transferred from wise and remitly is a godsend for lack of high fees.  Also kills all the $20 ATM fees I was paying with my USA debit card after both sides extracted their blood.

But the bank apps are great and even all the street vendors take payment this way.  Oddly...only 7-11 doesn't , but you can use rabbit pay WITHIN the app.  Don't concern yourself with that at this time.

#2 Short term solution:  Send yourself money thru remitly to a local bank: https://remit.ly/115ga6kz
that is a referal link.  You and I both get $20 in you use it to send yourself $100 or more first time.  Exchange rate is very competitive, only a $1 fee.

#3 I just found this out and now have all my cards in it in case I need to use them locally:  get your Credit card/ debit card number from someone at home. 

You can then input them into your apple wallet (Google has Google Pay, I believe).  You do not need your physical card.

You just put this in your phone and it's easier than using the bank app even.  
**however, unless you using an international card, many banks will charge you upto 3% international fee on top of whatever you purchased.  <deleted> thieves.

Best of luck man.  Wish I knew how easy it was to get thai bank account here earlier.  Would have saved me a TON.

Dart12, thanks.

The replacement card came, and happily it works. Meanwhile a family member came through with a sizable loan via Western Union, so that stopped any acute emergency.

I do plan to get a Thai bank account at the same time I do my Non-O deal with an agent, which is coming up real soon. I would like to use Kasikorn as I've read that they have the best implementation of anti-fraud technology and the best understanding and use of IT technology of all the Thai banks by far.

I don't use an Apple phone or personal computer, so I couldn't do your Apple tips, but thanks for the idea.

Edited by PadPrikKhing
Remembered to say...

17 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Dart12, thanks.

The replacement card came, and happily it works. Meanwhile a family member came through with a sizable loan via Western Union, so that stopped any acute emergency.

I do plan to get a Thai bank account at the same time I do my Non-O deal with an agent, which is coming up real soon. I would like to use Kasikorn as I've read that they have the best implementation of anti-fraud technology and the best understanding and use of IT technology of all the Thai banks by far.

I don't use an Apple phone or personal computer, so I couldn't do your Apple tips, but thanks for the idea.

If you're using an agent for the "full package" non-O you generally need to use the bank that they specify. 28k would imply that your are going the full service route.

Some agents only use Bangkok Bank. 

On 11/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, Dart12 said:

is there any paperwork required when going from here to cambodia and back?  or just stamp into cambodia and stamp back into Thailand?

When doing a border bounce with Cambodia, the Cambodian officials require compensation for allowing same day return. This is legit. According to Cambodian law, you must stat one night in Cambodia. Also, although the price for a Cambodian visa on arrival is supposed to be US$30, they will try to get more. If you pay in baht, or fail to have pristine, undamaged US notes, you will be obliged to pay more (negotiable). If going with a border run company, they may sort out all the paperwork and payments on the Cambodian side for you. Not all companies do, and you will very likely fall foul of the skilful scammers at the border these days, if you are a first timer.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:56 AM, Classic Ray said:

Mae Sai to Tachileik border is that open now?

9 hours ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

Mae Sai to Tachileik border is that open now?

No. The borders with Myanmar are all closed, with the possible exception of a limited opening from Ranong to the Grand Andaman Resort (no visa exempt entries on the return).