Agency Taking Action After 1,000 Rai Of Corals Found To Be Diseased

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff

THE DEPARTMENT of Marine and Coastal Resources is moving to declare a protected area and recruiting volunteers to help tackle the spread of yellow-band disease among corals spread across a thousand rai, or around 20 kilometres, off five upper and central Gulf of Thailand provinces, Matichon newspaper said.

Mr. Atthaphon Charoenchansa, the department’s head, speaking after diving to monitor this outbreak at Koh Kham island, off Sattahip district, Chonburi province, together with divers from AGC Vinythai,  Burapha University and Samae San Volunteer Divers Club, revealed that the yellow-band disease had infected corals in Chonburi for the first time.

It was already spreading among corals off Trat, Chanthaburi, Rayong and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/11/29/agency-taking-action-after-1000-rai-of-corals-found-to-be-diseased/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-11-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

This breaks my hart. Thailand used to have some of the best scuba dive sites in the world. My favourite in the gulf was Sail Rock. In my 250+ dives in the gulf what I saw was thai destruction of the seas and corals and the life there of. Anchors getting dropped on dive sites as divers below dragging across corals, discarded nets caught on coral, long-tails and boats crossing dive sites and divers below and rubbish in the sea.... I last dove there in 2007 and it was really bad then. You used to beable to see 30/40m+ on a good day. Last dives  did on a good day it was but a few meters to a couple. So very sad.