Banzai and Auf Wiedersehen! Sensational night in Qatar could inspire a generation - especially girls!

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS JOMTIEN

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

My nine year old daughter was going to school today so I decided allowing her to stay up to 2 am to watch the football was not right.

But as she got ready for class this morning she was keen to know what had happened in the night in Qatar.

On hearing the news she said: "Daddy, I want football boots for Christmas".

GvC.jpg

It was just like I felt, also aged nine, when I was inspired after my parents let me watch England vs Brazil in Mexico 1970. An iconic game that has stayed with me all my life.

Life changing moments.

Even those not interested in football will find it hard to avoid the sensational drama that transpired in the middle east between 2 am and 4am Thai time. 

And it could so easily have been even more stunning!

At half-time in Group E it all looked like it was going to script. Spain and Germany were comfortably 1-0 up against Japan and Costa Rica respectively and both seemingly headed for the round of 16.

But midway through the second half both games were 2-1 to the underdogs and a 500-1 (at least!) set of two results was on the cards - at least for three minutes!

0_Japan-v-Spain-FIFA-World-Cup-2022-Group-E-Khalifa-International-Stadium.jpg

Germany recovered with three late goals to win 4-2 but with Japan holding on to defeat Spain 2-1 it meant that the Germans were eliminated at the group stage for the second World Cup in a row.

The BBC said it best recalling Gary Lineker's famous phrase about the beautiful game:

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for ninety minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

No more! With Germany hosting Euro 2024 they need to get their act together, and fast. 

(Readers may be interested in seeing Gary, Micah Richards and Alan Shearer laughing on Twitter - Germans please turn away!)

The result was great for those of us born in the West who have dedicated our lives to Asia. Japan had similarly come from 0-1 down to beat Germany in the first game and thoroughly deserved to go through. Maybe South Korea can mount a repeat performance tonight.

I taught Japanese people English in Bangkok for eight years and have a special place in my heart for the Land of the Rising Sun and its courteaous and hard-working people.

They now meet Croatia at 10pm Thai time next Monday. Spain will face Morocco at 10pm on Tuesday.

It would not be surprising if both Japan and Morocco make the quarter finals.

Last night was also historic and a landmark for women in the sport.

image.jpeg

The Germany/Costa Rica game was refereed by 38 year old French woman Stephanie Frappart, the first time a men's World Cup game had a female in charge. She was assisted by two lady assistants.

Diminutive Stephanie did a great job in a highly charged atmosphere.

There was also incredible controversy, you'd expect nothing less. Japan's winning goal seemed at first to have crossed the goal line and gone out before it was cut back for Tanaka to score.

But after a VAR check it was deemed that the curvature of the ball just by millimeters intersected the back of the line at a 90 degree angle. 

Not all agreed but Japan won't care.

Earlier in the evening Morocco - whose defence has only been breached by an own goal in more than 6 hours of football - had beaten already eliminated Canada 2-1 in Group F. 

Croatia drew 0-0 with Belgium. This meant that the so called "golden generation" of Belgium who are ranked #2 in the world were out.

Tonight's action features the final four group games.

At 10pm Thai time Ghana face Uruguay and South Korea take on Portugal in Group H. All four can still qualify and given the large number of shocks this year who's to say it won't be Korea or Ghana perhaps taking on Brazil next.

Group G action at 2am sees Cameroon taking on already qualified Brazil and Serbia versus Switzerland.

I'm backing Serbia to get through as well as the South American favorites.

The latest odds for the eventual winner on the Betfair exchange are just over 9-4 Brazil, 11-2 Argentina and France, 13-2 Spain and 10-1 England.

Japan can be backed at over 80-1, Morocco at 140-1 and Serbia at over 200-1.

If betting on football was legal in Thailand - it's not - I might be tempted by those long odds!

However, I shall stick to my pre-tournament prediction of the Netherlands even though their price has drifted to 23-1.

For me and my family Mrs Rooster is laundering the England shirts ahead of the Three Lions' meeting with Senegal on Sunday (2am Monday morning Thai time).

With Monday being a school and national holiday for Father's Day it'll be a total pleasure to enjoy the game with my daughter who I gave the initials THFC after my beloved Spurs.

She along with dad will hopefully be singing "It's Coming Home" in the middle of a Thai night.

As the inspiring and sensational FIFA World Cup continues. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-02

• Like 1