Some good news for Thai economy amid many negative factors

snoop1130

40466455-2979-472F-8AFA-90EF2ED0F851.jpeg

The Thai economy grew 4.5 per cent year on year in the third quarter of 2022, exceeding market expectations. 

Gross domestic product (GDP) growth in the third quarter nearly doubled from 2.3 per cent in the first quarter and 2.5 per cent in the second, according to the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC), a state think-tank. The growth quarter on quarter was 1.2 per cent.

Private consumption and private investment as well as recovery of tourism contributed to the expansion of GDP.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/some-good-news-for-thai-economy-amid-many-negative-factors/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-12-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely a measure that compares to how things were deep in a global pandemic and lockdown should be positive!

What did I miss? I read that GDP has increased, albeit exports have not due to poor demand although tourism has taken up the slack.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Private consumption and private investment as well as recovery of tourism contributed to the expansion of GDP.

I fly back to the UK every 9 months to see an NHS consultant - only fly in on the Wednesday and back on the Thursday - and booked my flights yesterday - I only fly direct - Best I could get was £820 - That's up about 30% from before for me from before covid. I think a family of 4 now having to pay nearly £3500 in just flight costs alone will kill uk family Thailand travel. Randy old men will pay it just because they are randy old men ! Throw in hotel and food costs and that family holiday is now looking like £8-10,000 - in a recession !

• Like 1

Just now, RichardColeman said:

I fly back to the UK every 9 months to see an NHS consultant - only fly in on the Wednesday and back on the Thursday - and booked my flights yesterday - I only fly direct - Best I could get was £820 - That's up about 30% from before for me from before covid. I think a family of 4 now having to pay nearly £3500 in just flight costs alone will kill uk family Thailand travel. Randy old men will pay it just because they are randy old men ! Throw in hotel and food costs and that family holiday is now looking like £8-10,000 - in a recession !

It is the hotel and food costs (+low cost adult entertainment) that make the trip viable. 

(I just paid £2,800 for 2 x EVA premium economy tickets  - pre-Covid that would have been less than £2,000)

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

As the previous poster implied, it's the high cost of flights that is the problem. But that won't remain forever, as soon as demand ramps up, supply will increase and prices will return to competitive levels. When? Exactly! Until that happens, I would expect the bottom/middle end hotel market to do well and the top end to suffer, people have to compensate somewhere. I read recently where five stars were complaining that 3 stars were getting all the business and they were suffering as a result, that should surprise no one.

38 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It is the hotel and food costs (+low cost adult entertainment) that make the trip viable. 

(I just paid £2,800 for 2 x EVA premium economy tickets  - pre-Covid that would have been less than £2,000)

I paid £1100 with Finnair and received the most abysmal service I have ever endured in over 65 years of air travel.

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I paid £1100 with Finnair and received the most abysmal service I have ever endured in over 65 years of air travel.

I am afraid I have heard that from more than one source.

Also, - European flights - just booking UK/Spain flights for my brother and SIL. Almost £600 if they want 2 suitcases  -  that would have been half that a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

So I,m guessing you won`t be flying with them again.......:cheesy:

On 12/3/2022 at 8:54 AM, hotandsticky said:

I am afraid I have heard that from more than one source.

Finnair was the only company NOT serving free alcohol (at prices roughly the same as uranium).  I checked this later.  My complaints earned me some points in their club which I have already withdrawn my membership from.  I sat for 14 hours with my overhead bag between my knees because there was no room.  Aged 80 this left me with severe cramp.

• Like 1