More than ten Thai restaurants caught selling alcohol beyond legal time

snoop1130

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

there should be some relaxation during the World Cup.... one of life's great pleasures, watching football with a beer and a bit of food

Mai Dai

You folks might watch football, drink beer after 2AM & gamble.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Asinine really, there should be some relaxation during the World Cup.... one of life's great pleasures, watching football with a beer and a bit of food!

Pathetic spoilsports.

They obviously picked the crackdown because they knew there would be people out watching the football.

Easy targets for fund raising.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

It is a minefield isn't it. Maybe the selling times depends where you are, if you are a bar in an "entertainment" area, you may be able to open later as opposed to a bar restaurant on a street for example. I believe the vagueness is deliberate to allow the BIB to extort money. In Hua hin before, for a long time, we were only allowed to open until midnight. The BIB came past on motorbikes at 11:45 as a reminder, then again at 12:15. However, certain bars in Soi 80, and Bintabaht were open until 2A.M. and sometimes later.................A free ice cream if you guess who owned those bars.......:whistling: 

Er.....the Walls Magnum Company?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Onerak said:

Desperate people who fled their own country because their voices are not heard and women in their own countries have rejected them  come to Thailand, survive on "wife visa" and complain in this forum only because that is where their voices are heard amongst their own kind. And it provides entertainment for people like me who don't not have anything constructive to do. 

Talking from experience?

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Talking from experience?

Sorry mate, I don't live using "Wife visa" not even a retirement visa like a refugee, renewing my stay every year and kowtowing to immigration for their mercy to let me live by showing I have kept the money in the bank, or doing border runs because I don't have money, and endlessly posting in this forum asking how I do this and how I do that while bashing Thais, Chinese, and Indian and recently Russians incessantly. 

Well I'm baffled. I've just spent a week in Pattaya, most evenings on Soi Buakhao and the new Treetown complex of open air bars and restaurants. No problems at all buying and drinking alcohol until 2 am. with or without food. The bars I went to all closing up shortly before and kicking us politely out promptly at 2am " or the police will come and we don't want that".  So, where they wrong?

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

fleecing.

Sad isn't it? Surely a friendly but firm warning for first time offence of this kind ( if it is an offence the hours for alcohol sales and consumption don't seem crystal clear)....but TIT off to police station with the druggies and the beach walkers and a cash payment to avoid more hours in the lock up and a formal charge in the morning.

3 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Well I'm baffled. I've just spent a week in Pattaya, most evenings on Soi Buakhao and the new Treetown complex of open air bars and restaurants. No problems at all buying and drinking alcohol until 2 am. with or without food. The bars I went to all closing up shortly before and kicking us politely out promptly at 2am " or the police will come and we don't want that".  So, where they wrong?

Treetown is in the designated entertainment zone so 2AM close is legal. Simples.

21 hours ago, smedly said:

what are they trying to achieve with this stupidity - at a time when tourism is the number one objective

Doubt <deleted> up morons (not saying you are) complaining about buying beer after 2am are really the target tourist market.

3 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

the hours for alcohol sales and consumption don't seem crystal clear

They are crystal clear and these venues have been warned. Pol Maj Gen Suwanlaong from Region 2 police HQ arrived a week or so ago in some kind of holy mission to clean up Pattaya.

TBH I'm surprised his "crackdown" had lasted so long. In the olden days the "big police" would come down for a couple of days, make a big show of enforcing the law, then PDQ back up the coast. 

Hopefully this little storm will pass soon and thing can get back to normal. Thailand as Singapore just doesn't work for me, or the fun-loving Thais for that matter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Doubt <deleted> up morons (not saying you are) complaining about buying beer after 2am are really the target tourist market.

I wonder if this "crackdown" is election-related. It's only six months away. Current government trying to shore up support with the "moral majority"?

48 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I wonder if this "crackdown" is election-related. It's only six months away. Current government trying to shore up support with the "moral majority"?

Whose vote might this pick up.... certainly in the Pattaya area there is a support for the tourist industry and it being allowed to make money? I know there is a contingent of religious types in the country too, who would be happy to see alcohol more restricted. Somebody has got a bee in their bonnet... Although thinking back some years, there were often clamp downs to rein things in just before peak season. Filling up those Covid drained coffers. 

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Whose vote might this pick up.... certainly in the Pattaya area there is a support for the tourist industry and it being allowed to make money? I know there is a contingent of religious types in the country too, who would be happy to see alcohol more restricted. Somebody has got a bee in their bonnet... Although thinking back some years, there were often clamp downs to rein things in just before peak season. Filling up those Covid drained coffers. 

I was thinking less about votes and more about political support from the conservative section of the high society. They don't give a rat's about the common folk. However I don't know enough about Thai politics to get a grip on what has really prompted this latest crackdown. 

I don't know enough about police politics either so I can't say if this latest operation was decreed from on high or if it's just Pol Maj Gen Buzzkill trying to make a name for himself as the new Region 2 big boss or whatever he is. Perhaps he's a fan of Big Joke. Or Cartman from South Park ????

I'm also not convinced it's about brown envelopes. They've just raided a disco for the 2nd time (forgot the name) and are now talking about petitioning the Chonburi governor to ban the venue for 5 years. Why would you shut down a revenue stream unless you really had to?

Like you said, someone's got a bee in their bonnet and it doesn't look like they'll be quitting any time soon. 

images (15).jpeg

Edited by Lemsta69
remove auto-converted bold text

On 12/2/2022 at 11:37 PM, snoop1130 said:

According to the patrol police, they found more than ten Thai barbecue, or Mookata, restaurants, and shops selling alcohol beyond the legal time.

OMG, call out SWAT for this crime against humanity in a tourist town. Don't tourists understand they have to be tucked up in bed early, so to be up at cockcrow to be ready for an exhilarating day looking at temples.

I suspect it was the ones not providing the brown envelopes.

28 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I was thinking less about votes and more about political support from the conservative section of the high society. They don't give a rat's about the common folk. However I don't know enough about Thai politics to get a grip on what has really prompted this latest crackdown. 

I don't know enough about police politics either so I can't say if this latest operation was decreed from on high or if it's just Pol Maj Gen Buzzkill trying to make a name for himself as the new Region 2 big boss or whatever he is. Perhaps he's a fan of Big Joke. Or Cartman from South Park ????

I'm also not convinced it's about brown envelopes. They've just raided a disco for the 2nd time (forgot the name) and are now talking about petitioning the Chonburi governor to ban the venue for 5 years. Why would you shut down a revenue stream unless you really had to?

Like you said, someone's got a bee in their bonnet and it doesn't look like they'll be quitting any time soon. 

images (15).jpeg

Seen it all before. Eventually it'll go back to "normal".

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

They are crystal clear and these venues have been warned. Pol Maj Gen Suwanlaong from Region 2 police HQ arrived a week or so ago in some kind of holy mission to clean up Pattaya.

TBH I'm surprised his "crackdown" had lasted so long. In the olden days the "big police" would come down for a couple of days, make a big show of enforcing the law, then PDQ back up the coast. 

Hopefully this little storm will pass soon and thing can get back to normal. Thailand as Singapore just doesn't work for me, or the fun-loving Thais for that matter.

Happened when Thaksin's puritanical side kick rode into town with a bevy of Bkk cops to "clean up" Pattaya. Well, Thaksin got his, and it was back to biz as usual in toytown.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seen it all before. Eventually it'll go back to "normal".

Agreed.... short memories here. Even if a place gets a closure order they are back quickly with a new name and somehow get a licence...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Happened when Thaksin's puritanical side kick rode into town with a bevy of Bkk cops to "clean up" Pattaya. Well, Thaksin got his, and it was back to biz as usual in toytown.

I walked past old mate one night when he was visiting town. Forget the date but it was sometime in mid-2001. 

Me and a friend were strolling down WS on our way to Vixens in Soi Diamond. He was doing a media interview in the middle of the road. We knew it was someone important before we spotted him because there were all these pot-bellied cops with big hats and lots of medals on their chests standing around. 

My first thought as we walked past was, geez he's short. Second thought was, dang, the girls ain't gonna get nekkid tonight! ????

Edited by Lemsta69
typo
  • Like 1

Regardless of ones thoughts on the stupidity or otherwise of fixed  closing times and alcohol sales, the law is what it is.

Everyone running an entertainment venue, and selling alcohol is duty bound to obey the law.

As such it should be made very clear to all involved that if caught breaking the law, they will be closed permanently  with immediate effect..  Otherwise not fair on those that adhere to the relevant hours.

On 12/4/2022 at 5:33 AM, jacko45k said:

Chan o Cha said some time ago he wanted to see traditional Thai life and values restored as in the good old days. Presumably pre the American R&R days of the Vietnam war. Doesn't fit with the current thai economic need from tourism though does it?

On 12/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, Onerak said:

Desperate people who fled their own country because their voices are not heard and women in their own countries have rejected them  come to Thailand, survive on "wife visa" and complain in this forum only because that is where their voices are heard amongst their own kind. And it provides entertainment for people like me who don't not have anything constructive to do. 

What a ridiculous statement why did you ‘flee’ your home country,as I’m guessing you’re not Thai? ????