Health minister challenged over young boys seen smoking weed in Pattaya

webfact

4 hours ago, jvs said:

What are these complications in your opinion please?

I presume you mean "implications", and not "complications" but nice typo!

They are becoming more obvious by the day - schoolkids smoking pot in the street for one, and having to push a law through requiring a special licence to sell the flowers for another, after dozens of small businesses had already got their supplies! 

Actually, I think it is a good idea to "decriminalise" the possession of marijuana, but  I don't think enough thought went into it by Mr A! Obviously he thought that as Minister of Health, his decisions wouldn't be questioned by the people he is supposed to be in charge of!!!  

8 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

I guess it depends on the neighborhood. In my neighborhood alcohol is readily available in refrigerators and on kitchen shelves to kids. Yaba, cocaine, opium etc are much less available. Similar situation to my North American neighborhood as a youth. 

Apparently it's different where you live/lived. 

Judging by this and your earlier posts I can pretty much guarantee that you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what Thai youths get up to or what drugs are available to them  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Spock said:

Back in the 90s when I lived in Thailand, lots of young street kids used heroin, injected and smoked. Two kids are caught smoking cannabis and some react like it's all the rage among Thailand's children. Looking at the photo, my major concern is for the boys' little dog. I hoped it wasn't just left to fend for itself when the cops took the boys to the children's home (from where they are sure to escape once they realise how poorly resourced these places are in Thailand).

So you are more worried about the dog than the kids?

Man what have you been smokin'....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

what did you expect would happen when you legalized cannabis. ?  

it's not rocket science   !

You really think a) these kids are paying the prices charged by the legal outlets?, and b) this plant was not widely and easily available everywhere before the decriminalisation? 

Kids have been able to get their hands on this without issue since forever. 

Think about it. It's not rocket science. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Snig27 said:

You really think a) these kids are paying the prices charged by the legal outlets?, and b) this plant was not widely and easily available everywhere before the decriminalisation? 

Kids have been able to get their hands on this without issue since forever. 

Think about it. It's not rocket science. 

I just assumed that the kids had a spare 700 baht and bought a gram from a Pattaya dispensary. But seriously no street kid would be bothered with marijuana if glue, which provides far more comfort as a time killer and anesthetiser, was available.

As if the average Thai gives a damn about the plight of homeless children or is interested in seeking a genuine solution to the uncertainty and boredom these kids probably endure every day of their lives. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, johnc925 said:

Pot isn't a drug... thanks to Nixom, it was classified as one. I do think it's too loosely available to kids. Age laws and dispensing should be handled more responsibly, IMHO 

Correct! Cannabis is NOT a drug, it's a herb and has lots of benefits such as medical, industrial etc. apart from it's recreational use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

Correct! Cannabis is NOT a drug, it's a herb and has lots of benefits such as medical, industrial etc. apart from it's recreational use.

It is just a question of definition, words. It are the chemical substances that activates your sensation

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The picture of a group of young kids smoking cannabis from a bamboo bong made

Bong is the only Thai loan word in the English language. 

They should concentrate more on stopping the sex trade in Pattaya: their parents were probably servicing old Helmut or Lars. 

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Judging by this and your earlier posts I can pretty much guarantee that you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what Thai youths get up to or what drugs are available to them  

I posted some links below. Per those links prior to decriminalization of cannabis, about 3% of Thai youths used cannabis or yaba. Versus about 30% who used alcohol. That sounds about right to me. Up until very recently, alcohol was far more readily available than cannabis or yaba.

Does that mean that it was impossible for someone determined to aquire cannabis or yaba to find it? Of course not. But I personally didn't know where to find either, while I did know where to find Thai whiskey which like cannabis and yaba I don't consume. 

Now I do know where to find cannabis. It has become more readily available due to Mr Anutin's efforts. 

Which part of that am I getting so terribly wrong?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17450128.2020.1770391?journalCode=rvch20

https://academic.oup.com/alcalc/article/45/3/278/209016

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 8:31 AM, johnc925 said:

Pot isn't a drug... thanks to Nixom, it was classified as one. I do think it's too loosely available to kids. Age laws and dispensing should be handled more responsibly, IMHO 

Of course it is a drug, a psychotropic one. 

Smoking weed led me to get involved with drug dealer, which in turn tempted me to take harder drugs, purely as they were illegal. 

Smoking weed more recently causes paranoia in me and makes me take alcohol, which has tremendously devastating consequences. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Smoking weed more recently causes paranoia in me and makes me take alcohol, which has tremendously devastating consequences. 

If you know that then you should not smoke weed or drink alcohol.I know easy to say but i am a non smoker -drinker so i have no idea how the two can interact.

Just because something is legal does not mean you should take it!

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So you are more worried about the dog than the kids?

Man what have you been smokin'....

Dogs will love you unconditionally, kids will not!  Even your own kids!

Plus dogs do not pollute the air, carry weapons, or steal your money  5555

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I saw a dog with a knife strapped on.

She only stayed, once, short time.????????

On 12/3/2022 at 2:46 AM, webfact said:

The Thai Public Health Minister and the main proponent of marijuana decriminalization Anutin Charnvirakul said he was set up after a picture of 9-10-year-old kids smoking cannabis on Pattaya Beach went viral on Thai social media.

And who is to say this isn't completely staged by the 'anti-cannabis' cartel.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:43 AM, ukrules said:

The first thing that popped into my mind is that this story looks to me like a setup by the press or some opponent who then either sold or passed it onto the press.

That's how they do it in the west ????

Me too.  Looks like a setup.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Me too.  Looks like a setup.

Possibly a set-up, but kids in my prior lodgings smoked, did drugs & enjoyed happy endings everwhere.

It was part of becoming street-wise.

If they crossed the line, retribution by their peers was swift.

12 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Perhaps that is because they are dogs! I will not waste my time listing reasons not to be so in love with a critter that goes around sniffing butt holes!

• Haha 1

Yeah right I want to know who set these kids up and got them situated? I also want to know who was involved who got paid and what did they get paid...what was their recompense? This is an absurd observation that any adult would be very concerned with and would probably intervene in some way.