Espn / Star Sports Scrapped From Next Month.

chanchao

As the 'powers that be' don't seem to be interested in doing something useful for a change, (like merging two threads on the same subject :o ), I shall post in both threads.

jbowman1993 @ 2007-06-27 09:01:16) *

I'd say chances are pretty good that it is just a printing error....

Probably grasping at straws, but I was wondering if the programmes for these channels were omitted because they have not yet worked out how they will coordinate and schedule the ESP/STAR programmes with the live football coverage which will no longer come from them?

I too am looking at J Sat.

Incidentally, UBC/True provide their service by cable and satellite. Their dishes are notoriously small - hence the problems when it rains.

There used to be two legal 'cable' companies in Thailand, but UBC took the other one over some years ago. As OMR says, it would be a huge deal, involving major negotiations with the government for a new cable company to set up in Thailand. I doubt it could be done any time soon.

It is my understanding that all other cable and satellite operations in LOS are actually illegal. I am told that with JSat you need a internet connection which inputs the new scrambling code every time it is changed to keep one step ahead of the rights holders.

Anyone know different?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is J Sat legal in Thailand? And can you get all the Premiership matches like you can with True?

Someone said that it won't be long before all football games are PPV. However, if you read the press release, anyone with Platinum package gets every game, at least this season. I don't think they see boxing as important as football.

I guess I missed a post back a bit that said someone did call up and True said they have not renegotiated the contract with ESPN and that's why it's scheduled to go off the air. This doesn't mean they won't negotiate in the future, however.

Edit: Mobi, it's probably that they're negotiating the price for ESPN/Star Sports service altogether, taking into account the fact they spent all that money for the Premiership. I bet ESPN won't want to lower the price, but True will want them to, as they know it's mostly popular for it's football programming in Thailand.

Certainly doesn't help those who want to watch other sports, though.

Edited by Jimjim

I don't think they see boxing as important as football.

Me neither, but there's Formula 1, Wimbledon, the Football-chat-shows, Champions League football, FA Cup football, and some people might be into American sports like Basketball and American Football.

I'd say that's quite a biggie. Even if UBC show the big Premiership games as part of the Gold package but with some crap Thai presentation around it then that is in NO WAY a replacement for all of the above.

Edited by chanchao

I absolutely agree chanchao. I was referring to someone (I always say someone because I"m too lazy to look up and see who actually said it) saying that certain boxing matches had been on PPV whereas previously they were available to platinum subscribers.

This is a copy of an email I have just sent to <[email protected]>. I for one have had enough!!

Account 8396xxx

Sawatee,

I, like many farang, are very concerned about rumours you are dropping ESPN and Star Sports. If this is the case I WILL NOT renew my contract in August.

I have noted over the 4 years we have subscribed that UBC - True programming has worsened to a point of being just being overpriced, boring repeats and the removal of the sports is the final straw.

Regards

xx

Edited by bdenner

There are still 4 other sports channels.

When I add UBC over the course of 2 years, I actually saw at least 10 more channels by the time I left, some of them with a few good shows, like Star World.

The only thing I saw them drop was MTV and now possibly ESPN and Star Sports, which is certainly not good.

Edited by Jimjim

Well, if they do scrap Star and ESPN, then I'll be inquiring with the condo management about putting a dish on the roof. Those two channels were really the only way they could justify the price, for a terrible service. I see in the latest True Visions magazine that they're adding ten new "a la carte" channels, which I take it you have to pay extra for. They don't even have the bandwidth to deliver the channels they have at the moment, just look at all the artifacts on AXN. What is the picture quality going to be like when they have to compress the channels even further to accommodate these new ones? Is the quality just as bad on UBC Satellite? I don't remember it being so bad when I had it before.

How long is the contract for? I've been subscribing to UBC cable for about 10 months now, I have a feeling the small print will say 12 months. If they actually go through with this then they'll lose a high percentage of their foreign subscribers. No F1, no Wimbledon, no Rugby etc etc? I may well leave anyway even if they do keep Star and ESPN. No more PPV Cricket, vastly increased choice of channels, superior picture quality, no dumb censorship of commercials. Well, I've just convinced myself to get something from JSat, or a similar company.

When I add UBC over the course of 2 years, I actually saw at least 10 more channels by the time I left, some of them with a few good shows, like Star World.

The only thing I saw them drop was MTV and now possibly ESPN and Star Sports, which is certainly not good.

I thought they dropped Star World as well???????

Star charging too much perhaps.

Star World's still on UBC, but it's only available on the Silver and Platinum packages.

They're rearranging the channels again tonight, to make way for their new "a la carte" channels I take it, question is, will Star and Espn still be with us afterwards? I don't see why they'd do two channel rearrangements in one week, but TiT as they say. This always annoys me, will have to spend an hour tomorrow putting them all back to where I want them.

Edit: Here's the quote:

More Convenient with Channel Relocation

27 June 2007

TrueVisions is currently adding 3 new 'A La Carte' packages to our line-up which feature a range of new channels. This will slightly affect our channel numbering and on 28th June from 01:00 to 03:00 your IRD will automatically update to the revised channel line-up. We apologize for any interruption to your viewing during this period. Should you have any further queries, please contact our TrueVisions Care at Tel. 0-2725-2525.

Please note that this channel re-numbering applies to DStv and CAtv (digital) only. Subscribers with older analog cable equipment (CAtv Analog) will not be affected by this operation and will be able to view programs as normal with unchanged channel numbers.

"More Convenient with Channel Relocation" Lol, that's a blatant lie.

Edited by konangrit

Does anyone know what channels "cost" UBC and what channels are free to air? The likes of BBC, CNBC, CNN are all free to air on common satellite dishes, I think a breakdown on what they have to pay fees for would be interesting. Anyone?

Well, Star and ESPN are still with us, and it only rearranged two channels I never watch and kept the rest where they were, so not too bad. Guess we'll find out Sunday one way or the other.

Does anyone know what channels "cost" UBC and what channels are free to air? The likes of BBC, CNBC, CNN are all free to air on common satellite dishes, I think a breakdown on what they have to pay fees for would be interesting. Anyone?

Just because channels broadcast free to air, it doesn't necessarily mean it's free for True to rebroadcast them, especially when they block out the adverts. I don't even know if the information you request is in the public domain, I guess if any of the companies are listed, then it might be available.

TrueVisions have signed a three-year contract with Football Association Premier League (FAPL) to broadcast live every game of the English Premier League beginning this forthcoming season. The matches were previously shown in Thailand by ESPN/STAR.

Under the new contract, worth about 500 million baht a season, TrueVisions will broadcast live all the games, the company announced yesterday. To pave the way for additional games, three more channels will be introduced.

That's what they paid for the Premiership anyway, B500M/Year for 3 years.

Edited by konangrit

Apparently it's not just Thailand where ESPN-STAR lost the rights to broadcast the Premiership this year. They also lost the rights for Singapore, Hong Kong, and Mainland China, so they'll obviously have to have different programming for these territories during Premiership games. That shouldn't be a problem as they already have several different versions of ESPN for different territories around Asia.

I'm starting to think it's unlikely we'll lose ESPN-STAR, but still gonna be annoying having to put up with Thai pre-match build up and halftime and post match analysis.

I'm starting to think it's unlikely we'll lose ESPN-STAR, but still gonna be annoying having to put up with Thai pre-match build up and halftime and post match analysis.

They're gone from next month's magazine. Why do you suppose that is then?

They're gone from next month's magazine. Why do you suppose that is then?

Brinkmanship whilst negotiating a new contract I'd guess. They're still advertising ESPN's coverage of the NBA finals on the True preview channel, and next months listings are on their website. Not stating as a fact they'll stay, just what I think. We'll find out Sunday anyway.

Edit: Seems the NBA Finals have already finished, so I guess their out of date advert doesn't mean much then.

Edited by konangrit

I have just received this email from them, make what of it that you will:-

Dear Mr. Denner,

Thank you very much for your e-mail below. Regarding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that we are in the process of extending the contract of ESPN & Star Sport during that time so both channels did not send us the program schedule. Sorry if this caused you any inconvenience. However, you may receive daily listing program of these channels at www.truevisionstv.com

Should you have any further queries, please contact our TrueVisions care tel: 0-2271-7171 or email; [email protected]

Best regards

TrueVisions Care

I absolutely agree chanchao. I was referring to someone (I always say someone because I"m too lazy to look up and see who actually said it) saying that certain boxing matches had been on PPV whereas previously they were available to platinum subscribers.

I made the comment above. They started the year showing the boxing matches including the De La Hoya vs. Mayweather fight and now it is PPV only.

As it relates to ESPN and Star Sports, so far everything seems to be going just as it did when they gave up the rights to MTV and VH1. First, they came up with their own music programming, then they said they were negotiating with MTV and VH1 and then on the first day of the next month there was no MTV and VH1. Here, they have purchased the rights for the Premiership, they say they are negotiating with ESPN and Star Sports and I expect that come July 1st, no ESPN and Star Sports.

As it relates to ESPN and Star Sports, so far everything seems to be going just as it did when they gave up the rights to MTV and VH1. First, they came up with their own music programming, then they said they were negotiating with MTV and VH1 and then on the first day of the next month there was no MTV and VH1. Here, they have purchased the rights for the Premiership, they say they are negotiating with ESPN and Star Sports and I expect that come July 1st, no ESPN and Star Sports.

Truevisions.... you've got to ask yourself one question.. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punks?! Go ahead, make my #$(*#* day..

Just received True Visions Magazine for July. Looks like they've scrapped both ESPN and Star Sports , at least for Gold package subscribers. That means Wimbleton will disappear from midnight Saturday and there will no longer be any F1 or Moto GP or US Open golf, rugby, basketball, baseball etc etc. I knew they had plans for next season's English Premier League but it comes as a bit of a shock that they"ve dropped ESPN and Star Sports completely.............or so it seems.

I wonder if they will be available on Platinum ?

Anyone out there noticed the omissions in the latest magazine?

Just received True Visions Magazine for July. Looks like they've scrapped both ESPN and Star Sports , at least for Gold package subscribers. That means Wimbleton will disappear from midnight Saturday and there will no longer be any F1 or Moto GP or US Open golf, rugby, basketball, baseball etc etc. I knew they had plans for next season's English Premier League but it comes as a bit of a shock that they"ve dropped ESPN and Star Sports completely.............or so it seems.

I wonder if they will be available on Platinum ?

Anyone out there noticed the omissions in the latest magazine?

Ned, this topic has been running on another thread in this section (see page 2).

I was hoping that ESPN Star would still be available to platinum subscribers but it looks like the mob down at True may not want to fork out for the two channels. Midnight Saturday and no more Wimbleton and later no Champions League, FA Cup, US Open Golf, motor sports, US sports etc etc etc.

Let's see how things turn out but I'm thinking I might dump 'em. Those two sports channels made the expense worth it.

I was hoping that ESPN Star would still be available to platinum subscribers but it looks like the mob down at True may not want to fork out for the two channels. Midnight Saturday and no more Wimbleton and later no Champions League, FA Cup, US Open Golf, motor sports, US sports etc etc etc.

Let's see how things turn out but I'm thinking I might dump 'em. Those two sports channels made the expense worth it.

both star and espn schedules listed for sunday monday etc via the ubc web site . F1 on espn at 8pm sunday . so I assume programs as normal . I have noticed some more hbo channels appearing ? Anyone any info on these ?

One of the guys from another forum contacted uUBC and this is what he got back:

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your e-mail below. Regarding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that production of TrueVisions Magazine as follow:

Step 1 : We must call meeting with concerned department for collect the schedule program from each of channel and

other information that we need to announce via UBC magazine.

Step 2 : Channel from abroad will send the schedule program of them to UBC about 1-2 months in advance.

Step 3 : Publication Team forward all information to the printing house. If there are some program has been changed by

Channel from abroad in the meantime, in case the printing has been started, we cannot correct the schedule for

update .That’s why, the schedule in Monthly Magazine has been changed .

As for this case, we are in the process of extending the contract of ESPN & Star Sport during that time so both channels did not send us the program schedule. Sorry if this caused you any inconvenience. However, you may receive daily listing program of these channels at www.truevisionstv.com

Concerning about HBO & Discovery details, we would like to inform you that we’ll inform you through our media once we received the information.

Should you have any further queries, please contact our TrueVisions care tel: 0-2271-7171 or email; [email protected]

Best regards

TrueVisions Care

One of the guys from another forum contacted uUBC and this is what he got back:

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your e-mail below. Regarding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that production of TrueVisions Magazine as follow:

Step 1 : We must call meeting with concerned department for collect the schedule program from each of channel and

other information that we need to announce via UBC magazine.

Step 2 : Channel from abroad will send the schedule program of them to UBC about 1-2 months in advance.

Step 3 : Publication Team forward all information to the printing house. If there are some program has been changed by

Channel from abroad in the meantime, in case the printing has been started, we cannot correct the schedule for

update .That’s why, the schedule in Monthly Magazine has been changed .

As for this case, we are in the process of extending the contract of ESPN & Star Sport during that time so both channels did not send us the program schedule. Sorry if this caused you any inconvenience. However, you may receive daily listing program of these channels at www.truevisionstv.com

Concerning about HBO & Discovery details, we would like to inform you that we’ll inform you through our media once we received the information.

Best regards

TrueVisions Care

It means exactly what? That the whole ESPN will be cancelled? Or that ESPN will feed Thailand some other version, without football?

I guess Thais don't want to see match previews and highlights in English.

JNASHDDS 2007 -06-28

Spoke to TrueVision Customer Service today because the Program Guide for July did NOT have ESPN. I was told that the contracts for ESPN and STAR SPORTS may not be renewed, but an official announcement would be soon forthcoming.

I think all concerned subscribers should call ASAP (027252525) and threaten cancellation of their subscriptions.