Espn / Star Sports Scrapped From Next Month.

chanchao

I called UBC yesterday to query this and the guy I spoke to confirmed as a platinum subscriber I would get all the footy, when I asked about ESPN and STAR Sports he informed me these would remain on as normal and would not be took off air.

Panic over.... Although agree with all on here the service of UBC is garbage and wouldn't be surprised if the situation with Espn and star changes as MTV and VH1 were both removed with next to any notice at all.

I'm looking into other options to get the S.A Supersport channel as UBC is too overpriced for what you get.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How TV works (at least usually, in these cases):

True has the broadcast rights to the EPL matches. ESPN/Star Sports will remain on air, of course, because they don't only show the Premiership. They can still show Champions League matches, and the FA Cup, and the League Cup, although I've never seen the Carling Cup on ESPN, it seems to be on other channels usually. However, they won't be broadcasting the EPL matches as they don't have the broadcast rights. They can control their own feed into Thailand and of course as they can't show the matches as they don't have the rights to them for this country, so they'll have to air something else during that time. I suppose they may still pump their build up and halftime commentary into Thailand, but you'd have to ask them if they'll do that. Good luck getting a response as I never do.

Remember the World Cup? Everything in Thai? Well, at least True says you still have the option of hearing English play-by-play coming from England. But my point is that you could not watch the World Cup on ESPN as they didn't have the rights to show it in this country, but ESPN was actually showing it in other countries. At least they had the rights in India, I believe. But they didn't have the rights in this country so they didn't show it. But I do remember every night you could still watch their commentary show about the World Cup. ESPN that you see in Thailand sends programming into many countries and would like to show basically the same thing to everyone, but they can't when they lose broadcast rights in certain countries, or they chose to show something different in particular countries.

And, about highlights, of course they can still show highlights on Sportscenter, but it looks like not the highlights show that comes from England. Broadcast rights are not highlights rights. I'm not talking about the highlights show, though. One article said that True has the rights to that hour-long show as well.

To sum up, relax. You can still get your football fix every week, with English play-by-play. Everything won't be the same, but that's life, things change. And is 2000 a month too much to pay if you're a true football fanatic? No way, man. How many matches can you watch in England every week?

I'm a bit of a late convert to the ESPN/Star 'pundit shows' - Football focus etc, as I have always been bit pissed off with the amount of football being broadcast.

But on the principle that if you can't beat them join them, I must admit I have become quite a fan of John Dyke and his team over the past couple of years (especially Macca :o ) and even if you don't agree with with them, they do add entertainment and another dimension to the sport, and I for one, find the programmes quite enjoyable.

We will never know for sure, if these programmes will still be available until the new season starts - I wouldn't believe anything UBC tells you - most of them know less than we do. My guess is that most of these programmes will disappear- as they contain recorded highlights of the recent matches, and I think there will be some legal issues on the rights to show these clips. Let's hope I'm wrong.

I was in a bar/pub in BKK the other week which had no less than 5 TV screens - and every screen had a different sport and every sport was live - and not one of those screens was UBC TRueVisions. I think I am getting close to the point where I will see if I can get the S African feed into my home. Not only will I get English punditry programmes, I will also get a whole load of other sports which are never shown on UBC.

We could just move to South Africa.

Funny you say that.

Because the local cable station (not UBC) we have here in Thailand (only 900 baht/year) is obviously crap BUT at English footie time, one of their crap TV channels is temporarily replaced by South African SuperSports or something, complete with Gary Bailey and panel as well as the UK commentary. Once the day's football is over, crap TV channel mysteriously reappears.

Personally I am GUTTED.

Things will never be the same again in LOS for us football fanatics.

PS I will not miss Shebby though!!!

I shall miss screaming at him :o

But fairs' fair - he is a Spurs supporter :D

Personally I am GUTTED.

Why!? I like the guy. :o

Also I went to the Truevisions office and asked the most scenior looking guy there, and he said the primary reason for True to buy the rights was that they can then offer it as Pay-per-View to subscribers on cheaper monthly plans. Previously it was either 'pay a lot and get ESPN/Star that has most worthwhile games' or 'get nothing'. Next year people could go for a cheapo subscription and just pay per view for the games they want to see.

ALSO he said that no changes would be made to ESPN/Star.. Those should air as usual. His words.. Do I believe it... sure, when I see it. :D

Personally I am GUTTED.

Why!? I like the guy. :o

Also I went to the Truevisions office and asked the most scenior looking guy there, and he said the primary reason for True to buy the rights was that they can then offer it as Pay-per-View to subscribers on cheaper monthly plans. Previously it was either 'pay a lot and get ESPN/Star that has most worthwhile games' or 'get nothing'. Next year people could go for a cheapo subscription and just pay per view for the games they want to see.

ALSO he said that no changes would be made to ESPN/Star.. Those should air as usual. His words.. Do I believe it... sure, when I see it. :D

I had a look on the Truevision site. For people on the cheaper packages ,yheu can make a pay as they view of a single match. I have Platinum and will get all 10 matches each week on channels 68 & 69.

Gold subscribers get 7 matches a week. So as it says the more you pay !!!!!

It all depends,of course how interested in football and the EPL you are. Im an Arsenal supporter so it means that I can see every league match. Am also thinking of a dvd recorder...will save me getting up at 2 am sometimes !!

OK,2500 bahts is not cheap,but thats my choice.Being selfish,I dont see why people paying less should get the same benefits.

:ohttp://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/07Jun2007_sport31.php :D

CALL THEM and demand the ESPN shows. I for one won't remain a subscriber if there's no more ESPN/Star. The contact number is below:

TrueVisions have signed a three-year contract with Football Association Premier League (FAPL) to broadcast live every game of the English Premier League beginning this forthcoming season. The matches were previously shown in Thailand by ESPN/STAR.

Under the new contract, worth about 500 million baht a season, TrueVisions will broadcast live all the games, the company announced yesterday. To pave the way for additional games, three more channels will be introduced.

Four packages are available for customers. Platinum package holders (2,000 baht per month) will be able to watch up to 10 live matches a week and the Gold package (1,412 baht month) 7-8 match a week. Those who subscribe to the Silver (750 baht per month) and Knowledge package (340 baht) can watch 3-5 matches if they pay an additional 299 baht a month. This will include one game featuring a top 4 team. However, this service will not include games when the top 4 play each other.

English language soundtrack will be available direct from the Premiership League commentators, but not through third parties like ESPN. However, match build-ups and half-time highlights will be in Thai only.

''Realising its popularity among not only Thai fans but also foreigners, TrueVisons bought the rights from FAPL,'' said Supachai Chearavanont, chairman of the executive committees of the True-Visions. For more information, call 0-2647-0555 or 0-2725-7000 or go to www. truevisionstv.com

What I can't understand is how are Platinum subscribers going to watch all 10 matches LIVE?

Last season you could watch up to 5 matches live because they were shown at different times over Saturday and Sunday. Are they going to play all 10 matches at different times next season? I cannot see that happening!!!

The fixtures will be published in 3 days time (Thursday 14th) with all kick-off times at 3pm on Saturday, then some of the games will be rescheduled to suit the TV companies, (much to the disgust of real football supporters in England).

I will watch with interest!!!!

Edited by billrose

We will never know for sure, if these programmes will still be available until the new season starts - I wouldn't believe anything UBC tells you - most of them know less than we do. My guess is that most of these programmes will disappear- as they contain recorded highlights of the recent matches, and I think there will be some legal issues on the rights to show these clips. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Perhaps you didn't read my post above. You can show highlights of matches if you don't have the rights to broadcast the games. It happens all the time. How do you think ESPN survives? A lot of highlights they show come from games they did not have the rights to broadcast. Broadcast rights should have nothing to do with highlights shown after the match has aired. I don't believe there will be legal issues at all.

Were there any highlights shown on ESPN of the World Cup? They didn't have those broadcast rights. I don't really remember but I'm sure they showed a few highlights.

• 2 weeks later...
I called UBC yesterday to query this and the guy I spoke to confirmed as a platinum subscriber I would get all the footy, when I asked about ESPN and STAR Sports he informed me these would remain on as normal and would not be took off air.

Panic over....

Not quite...

According to UBC as of 5 minutes ago on the phone... They still have not re-negotiated their ESPN / Star Sports contract for next month and onwards. They will have a final decision on Friday.

As it stands Star Sports will go off at midnight on Saturday.

And I for one will be buying a Dream-Box Sunday morning. Then I have all day to set it up for F1!

Any DreamBox sales people - feel free to contact me. :o

Panic over....

Not quite...

According to UBC as of 5 minutes ago on the phone... They still have not re-negotiated their ESPN / Star Sports contract for next month and onwards. They will have a final decision on Friday.

As it stands Star Sports will go off at midnight on Saturday.

Well, then my True subscription will go out the window at the very first opportunity. It's already utter crap on all of their channels, if they has much point a finger at ESPN / Star then it's byebye.

Edited by chanchao

Check out these popular packages..

http://www.jsat.tv/dm500pack.htm

Just spoke to the very helpful guys at Jsat and I have an engineer on his way to do a site survey.

For 21,500 Baht (the same as Gold UBC subscription this year) I get my own DreamBox (with all those possibilities) and a full package which includes BBC World, StarSports etc. etc. Forever!

The site is very very confusing, and I have told them so. But read it all through and eventually it makes sense.. Alternatively give them a ring and say I sent you because the site is too confusing! :o

By the way with the DreamBox you can also upgrade and record a la Tivo, and also have email and lots of other features from your sofa... It's a computer, not just a set top box.

Everything you get from UBC is available in various packages and in better quality.

Note that some of the broadcasts are even in HD!

And if you want more packages you simply have to buy or 'obtain' the codes and you can pretty much take your pick from thousands of channels and lots of satellites!

I am looking forward to F1 with South African commentary.. Can't be any worse then Star Sports!

I ditched my true mobile this year and went to DTAC. *Reason: crap service from true*

I am now ditching UBC. *Reason: crap service and not even the decency to let us know they are canelling important channels*

Did anyone notice when MTV and all those other channels disappeared?

And did anyone else notice that when they introduced Platinum all the other channels suffered in quality?

So the only thing I need true for now is the Internet.

I suggest we all vote with our wallets.

Check out these popular packages..

http://www.jsat.tv/dm500pack.htm

Just spoke to the very helpful guys at Jsat and I have an engineer on his way to do a site survey.

For 21,500 Baht (the same as Gold UBC subscription this year) I get my own DreamBox (with all those possibilities) and a full package which includes BBC World, StarSports etc. etc. Forever!

The site is very very confusing, and I have told them so. But read it all through and eventually it makes sense.. Alternatively give them a ring and say I sent you because the site is too confusing! :o

By the way with the DreamBox you can also upgrade and record a la Tivo, and also have email and lots of other features from your sofa... It's a computer, not just a set top box.

Everything you get from UBC is available in various packages and in better quality.

Note that some of the broadcasts are even in HD!

And if you want more packages you simply have to buy or 'obtain' the codes and you can pretty much take your pick from thousands of channels and lots of satellites!

I am looking forward to F1 with South African commentary.. Can't be any worse then Star Sports!

I ditched my true mobile this year and went to DTAC. *Reason: crap service from true*

I am now ditching UBC. *Reason: crap service and not even the decency to let us know they are canelling important channels*

Did anyone notice when MTV and all those other channels disappeared?

And did anyone else notice that when they introduced Platinum all the other channels suffered in quality?

So the only thing I need true for now is the Internet.

I suggest we all vote with our wallets.

Do you know if this service is offered outside Bangkok ? Koh Samui for instance .

Do you know if this service is offered outside Bangkok ? Koh Samui for instance .

Give them a call. They are very helpful. They do talk about special charges for anyone over 120km from Ekkamai! But I would think they can sell you the hardware and then recommend someone local..

I went to the Truevisions office and asked the most scenior looking guy there, and he said the primary reason for True to buy the rights was that they can then offer it as Pay-per-View to subscribers on cheaper monthly plans. Previously it was either 'pay a lot and get ESPN/Star that has most worthwhile games' or 'get nothing'. Next year people could go for a cheapo subscription and just pay per view for the games they want to see.

I realize that is what they say, but then the first few championship boxing matches this year were available to those with platinum packages, but now it is Pay Per View (PPV) only. This seems to be their strategy and it won't be long before the important soccer matches are available only on PPV as well.

I went to the Truevisions office and asked the most scenior looking guy there, and he said the primary reason for True to buy the rights was that they can then offer it as Pay-per-View to subscribers on cheaper monthly plans. Previously it was either 'pay a lot and get ESPN/Star that has most worthwhile games' or 'get nothing'. Next year people could go for a cheapo subscription and just pay per view for the games they want to see.

I realize that is what they say, but then the first few championship boxing matches this year were available to those with platinum packages, but now it is Pay Per View (PPV) only. This seems to be their strategy and it won't be long before the important soccer matches are available only on PPV as well.

This fits perfectly with their modus operandi so far..

Platinum was introduced with a few new channels that would have gone to Gold. That way they could price gauge the old Gold subscribers when they renew. I have resisted that on principal, despite wanting BBC World etc. At the same time picture quality dropped as they strained their crappy bandwidth.

Now they are systematically replacing any expensive channels with cheap 'copy' true channels. So MTV has gone, for example.

At the same time they renumber the channels every few months to hide what they are doing almost!

Now we will see more PPV for soccer etc. and most likely F1 go altogether. At the same time you are paying a premium for channels you should get in your package, still with advertising no doubt, and you miss anything which is not eligable / profitable enough for PPV.

The writing is on the wall. UBC are finished as far as I am concerned.

When will Thai companies realize that if you charge Western prices you must supply Western service. You can't just smile and divvy up rubbish. It does not work that way!

Edited by scratt

This fits perfectly with their modus operandi so far..

Platinum was introduced with a few new channels that would have gone to Gold. That way they could price gauge the old Gold subscribers when they renew. I have resisted that on principal, despite wanting BBC World etc. At the same time picture quality dropped as they strained their crappy bandwidth.

Now they are systematically replacing any expensive channels with cheap 'copy' true channels. So MTV has gone, for example.

At the same time they renumber the channels every few months to hide what they are doing almost!

Now we will see more PPV for soccer etc. and most likely F1 go altogether. At the same time you are paying a premium for channels you should get in your package, still with advertising no doubt, and you miss anything which is not eligable / profitable enough for PPV.

The writing is on the wall. UBC are finished as far as I am concerned.

When will Thai companies realize that if you charge Western prices you must supply Western service. You can't just smile and divvy up rubbish. It does not work that way!

So why is it so hard to find any competition ? With so many disatisfied customers it seems that anyone setting up a half decent service in competition would do very well .

Please, those channels show utter tripe most of the time.

* Animal Planet: Bullshit with snakes or sharks, meaningless rankings and comparisons between 'animal x vs animal y' about being the most lethal.

* History Channel: Bullshit about wars, multiple-choice strategic decisions (answer after the break) and 'The Most....' (The Most Re-Runs in All of Cable TV)

* Discovery: "Mega Bullshit" building the biggest ######ing something in the world.

* National Geographic: Conspiracies, Disasters & Crashes analyzed for a 5 year old and at a snails pace. The TWO hour thing around the Da Vinci code conspiracies was especially embarrassing TV; utter disrespect for any audience much older than 5.

<snip>

There. :o Bet you didn't expect that rant. :D

Couldn't have put it better! :D

So why is it so hard to find any competition ? With so many disatisfied customers it seems that anyone setting up a half decent service in competition would do very well .

It would cost a huge initial outlay for a new company to compete with UBC, besides a great deal of negotiation with the Thai government. This is why the main competition comes from internet personal TV's and satellite TV dishes.

I find the satellite dishes difficult to understand and also I have never seen a comparison of what the monthly costs are for viewing like programs on a satellite dish vs. UBC. While the programs are normally available from satellites, the signal is often scrambled unless a monthly fee is paid.

It would cost a huge initial outlay for a new company to compete with UBC, besides a great deal of negotiation with the Thai government. This is why the main competition comes from internet personal TV's and satellite TV dishes.

I find the satellite dishes difficult to understand and also I have never seen a comparison of what the monthly costs are for viewing like programs on a satellite dish vs. UBC. While the programs are normally available from satellites, the signal is often scrambled unless a monthly fee is paid.

I don't understand "Satellite dish vs. UBC"? I thought UBC uses a satellite dish?

Also UBC will be shut off if you fail to pay the monthly bill....

Or am i missing something here?

You can buy satellite dishes for a one-time fee which picks up all sorts of Asian channels, but usually not the same as UBC.

Are ya'll sure about UBC losing ESPN/STAR for good? Just because you can't see the Premiership games on those channels, that doesn't rule out all the other sports they show, and also Champion's League and FA Cup. What's going on? That would surely suck if I came back and couldn't watch those channels whatsoever.

Also, in response to a comment above, back when I had UBC the man in charge was a westerner, so he should know all about western standards. Not sure if it's still the same. Edit: probably not as True took them over; forgot about that.

Edit: I just checked the website and they are listing ESPN and STAR Sports on the schedule even in July. I was able to check the schedule of TV on Star Sports for 1 July.

Can someone report back in July as to whether or not they have those channels? Also, check your guide more closely for those channels, could ya? I'm going to check with ESPN/STAR if they will be on in Thailand anymore (we know they won't be able to show the Prem games, but I'm talking about all their programming) and someone else could call True/UBC up to check on the programming.

I think you should be sure before just stating that those channels are gone without knowing for sure. I think ESPN is the linchpin of sports programming on UBC.

Edited by Jimjim

Someone should buy an island off Burma junta in the Andaman, establish their own country, set up a decent satellite based TV service without all the Thai gov regulations and provide us a decent English satellite service.

A Purchase fund for the island will be set up at DBS Bank Singapore account 555-555-555-555, pls note your contributions...... USD only