Espn / Star Sports Scrapped From Next Month.

chanchao

I am also with you Mobi on this. What they will do to mitigate the anger of losing ESPN and Star Sports is to play up the new HBO/Discover/Disney packages available. I expect they will allow one month free viewing of these to spur interest in them and deflect interest from losing channels to interest in gaining channels (albeit at an additional cost).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to lose sight of where I am now but I think there was a positive hint in today's BP that True might have renewed their contract with espnstar. On page 15 there's a large advert for a contest to pick the winners of Wimbledon this year. The ad goes on to say that "STAR Sports is exclusively available on TrueVisions UBC Ch.66. To subscribe call........."

I know TIT but even still I can't imagine this company advertising for subscribers and then ditching the channels advertised in a few weeks. In other words don't you reckon it looks like it's going to be business as usual for espnstar at UBC . I suppose only the insiders at the company could tell you if this was a policy reversal or whether it was always part of their renegotiating plan.

I don't want to lose sight of where I am now but I think there was a positive hint in today's BP that True might have renewed their contract with espnstar. On page 15 there's a large advert for a contest to pick the winners of Wimbledon this year. The ad goes on to say that "STAR Sports is exclusively available on TrueVisions UBC Ch.66. To subscribe call........."

I know TIT but even still I can't imagine this company advertising for subscribers and then ditching the channels advertised in a few weeks. In other words don't you reckon it looks like it's going to be business as usual for espnstar at UBC . I suppose only the insiders at the company could tell you if this was a policy reversal or whether it was always part of their renegotiating plan.

Interesting theory Ned, and you could be right.

However I wouldn't hold your breath. They have been plugging this contest on Star Sports for quite a while, and it was obviously planned a while back. It wouldn't surprise me if the left hand didn't know what the right was doing - well, we know for a fact that that this is the case.

BTW have you noticed that up to yesterday ( I haven't checked today) that they were still streaming the message about re-arranging the channels on June 28TH!!!

Excuse me if i do not read all these postings, so if i have missed something I am sorry.

I telephoned UBC recently and asked them about when these new channels (like Disney)are on line and they said about the middle of the month of July, and they said even Platinum members will need to pay for them.

I asked about the English football, and they said they will broadcast the games and the likes of Platinum subscribers need not pay extra.

As to ESPN(and Star Sports) I was told that they are still negotiating with them and we ought to know by about the end of the month.

Edited by R123

Excuse me if i do not read all these postings, so if i have missed something I am sorry.

I telephoned UBC recently and asked them about when these new channels (like Disney)are on line and they said about the middle of the month of July, and they said even Platinum members will need to pay for them.

I asked about the English football, and they said they will broadcast the games and the likes of Platinum subscribers need not pay extra.

As to ESPN(and Star Sports) I was told that they are still negotiating with them and we ought to know by about the end of the month.

I received an email from True two days ago and the new A La Carte packages have been delayed and they will notify us on their website when they are available.

I am coming in on this one a bit late, but nothing unusual in that. I understand what they are doing to the football, but it now seems more serious. I found out thansk to a v good friend on this site that the UBC magazine for July has no listings for channels 65 and 66, ie ESPN and Star, and that in fcat those 2 channels are scheduled to be dropped fully. OK so the footie which is not my bag moves to other channels and we press the language button for english commentary, not the end of the world, BUT if the channels disappear we lose:

Tennis

Formula One

Moto GP bikes and things

Guinness Premiership Rugby

6 Nations Rugby

Presumable the Wolrd Cup Rugby in Sep/Oct

and also any PPV Cricket which is also Star Sports.

I can remember getting promo stuff from True Visions about 6 sports channels, now about to shrink to 4.

I wonder if breach of contract exists in Thailand coz I paid my subscription for a year in advance, and if they cease broadcasting those channels they have advertised to me and I have paid for then surely they are in breach and I am entitled to compensation...yeah some chance!!

Seriously though the bars are often packed out (relative term at this time of year) with people watching F 1 motor racing and bike Grand Prix stuff, and when recently in Phuket there were 321 people watching crciket (Steve from the Aussie Bar counted them i reckon!)

If all this goes then Thailand will have managed at a single stroke to regress 20 years with its sports coverage.

I too am off to get a new satellite dish.

I emailed True Visions several times but got no reply..."we love you to contact us" their slogan says!!!

Today I was sufficiently peed off to fax Subscriptions and Marketing departments with a recommendation that they rename themselves No Visions since that is surely a more appropriate name. I don't think Thais understand sarcasm but if I get any replies I will post them!

<snip>

BTW have you noticed that up to yesterday ( I haven't checked today) that they were still streaming the message about re-arranging the channels on June 28TH!!!

I think you're being a little hard on them :D . I think the message says "Due to the introduction of new channels, we will revise our current channel line-up effective 28th June. Any problems please call ...."

So I read it as both a warning about what will happen on 28th June and what to do if you have a problem after the 28th.

Maybe. :o

Edited by JetsetBkk