Espn / Star Sports Scrapped From Next Month.

chanchao

:ohttp://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/07Jun2007_sport31.php :D

CALL THEM and demand the ESPN shows. I for one won't remain a subscriber if there's no more ESPN/Star. The contact number is below:

TrueVisions have signed a three-year contract with Football Association Premier League (FAPL) to broadcast live every game of the English Premier League beginning this forthcoming season. The matches were previously shown in Thailand by ESPN/STAR.

Under the new contract, worth about 500 million baht a season, TrueVisions will broadcast live all the games, the company announced yesterday. To pave the way for additional games, three more channels will be introduced.

Four packages are available for customers. Platinum package holders (2,000 baht per month) will be able to watch up to 10 live matches a week and the Gold package (1,412 baht month) 7-8 match a week. Those who subscribe to the Silver (750 baht per month) and Knowledge package (340 baht) can watch 3-5 matches if they pay an additional 299 baht a month. This will include one game featuring a top 4 team. However, this service will not include games when the top 4 play each other.

English language soundtrack will be available direct from the Premiership League commentators, but not through third parties like ESPN. However, match build-ups and half-time highlights will be in Thai only.

''Realising its popularity among not only Thai fans but also foreigners, TrueVisons bought the rights from FAPL,'' said Supachai Chearavanont, chairman of the executive committees of the True-Visions. For more information, call 0-2647-0555 or 0-2725-7000 or go to www. truevisionstv.com

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means exactly what? That the whole ESPN will be cancelled? Or that ESPN will feed Thailand some other version, without football?

I guess Thais don't want to see match previews and highlights in English.

It means exactly what? That the whole ESPN will be cancelled? Or that ESPN will feed Thailand some other version, without football?

I guess Thais don't want to see match previews and highlights in English.

Or, during the actual game they do that thing they do when there's alcohol commercials or coup d'etats going on.

That would still be acceptable, because you can then tune in to the ESPN chitchat before and after the match. However it may be a bit of a pipe-dream because ESPN won't be happy with True's move; it means they're not getting money from True for the premiership matches. So that may mean they're not inclined to supply the football chat around matches anymore..

Edited by chanchao

Please, those channels show utter tripe most of the time.

* Animal Planet: Bullshit with snakes or sharks, meaningless rankings and comparisons between 'animal x vs animal y' about being the most lethal.

* History Channel: Bullshit about wars, multiple-choice strategic decisions (answer after the break) and 'The Most....' (The Most Re-Runs in All of Cable TV)

* Discovery: "Mega Bullshit" building the biggest ######ing something in the world.

* National Geographic: Conspiracies, Disasters & Crashes analyzed for a 5 year old and at a snails pace. The TWO hour thing around the Da Vinci code conspiracies was especially embarrassing TV; utter disrespect for any audience much older than 5.

All of them have no commercials and all of them suffer from having a voice-over regurgitating the same information over and over again as it's intended from people zapping and joining in from other channels... YAwwwwwwnn

Sorry, but those channels are SERIOUSLY flawed if the aim is to learn something worthwhile. It's embarrassing, especially something using the name National Geographic.

There. :o Bet you didn't expect that rant. :D

Edited by chanchao

A pity but I can live without the chit chat and the half time report in English. I'm wondering though that if you want to see the highlight game of the round you'll have to get the Platinum Package. Those 7-8 games on the Gold mightn't include the top game....but you never know. Don't think I'll fork out another 600 for the Platinum (2,100 or so with tax v 1,500 for the Gold). Let's see how things turn out.

It could've been worse. Remember the World Cup wiht NO English commentary?

When I heard that True Visions had bought the rights for the games a few months ago I expected the Premier League to go on Pay Per View......so I'm pleasantly surprised with the new plan.

They seem to think football is the only sport - We get better coverage of Rugby on cable through australian network - unfortunately I will soon be losing cable and have to subscrible to UBC .

For the prices they charge they should have a very much better selection of channels .

In the UK - TV used to consist of 4 channels , usually showing a much better selection , without endless repeats and lots of live TV , good series , news ,and documentaries and live sports . UBC has over 30 channels of mostly repeats , football and other rubbish .

Cable/Satellite broadcast the same over and over again. if you have seen Discovery a year or two you can take a break for at least five years. And the most of the news are about famous people with or without silicone. Boooooring. :D

Listen to some music instead, and use the internet to find the real news. :o

:ohttp://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/07Jun2007_sport31.php :D

CALL THEM and demand the ESPN shows. I for one won't remain a subscriber if there's no more ESPN/Star. The contact number is below:

TrueVisions have signed a three-year contract with Football Association Premier League (FAPL) to broadcast live every game of the English Premier League beginning this forthcoming season. The matches were previously shown in Thailand by ESPN/STAR.

Under the new contract, worth about 500 million baht a season, TrueVisions will broadcast live all the games, the company announced yesterday. To pave the way for additional games, three more channels will be introduced.

Four packages are available for customers. Platinum package holders (2,000 baht per month) will be able to watch up to 10 live matches a week and the Gold package (1,412 baht month) 7-8 match a week. Those who subscribe to the Silver (750 baht per month) and Knowledge package (340 baht) can watch 3-5 matches if they pay an additional 299 baht a month. This will include one game featuring a top 4 team. However, this service will not include games when the top 4 play each other.

English language soundtrack will be available direct from the Premiership League commentators, but not through third parties like ESPN. However, match build-ups and half-time highlights will be in Thai only.

''Realising its popularity among not only Thai fans but also foreigners, TrueVisons bought the rights from FAPL,'' said Supachai Chearavanont, chairman of the executive committees of the True-Visions. For more information, call 0-2647-0555 or 0-2725-7000 or go to www. truevisionstv.com

Call them and say what - go back to the FA and up your bid?

Too late ;-)

I hope that this will mean that "Andy Gray" will be off the air.

IMHO, he is the biggest "know it all" failures of all time.

I Love Chelsea, cos some Ruski will gve me a holiday in Serbia, and I love Man Utd, cos I will get a holidayin the USA.

Sky will employ him cos no other Channel will.

dickie davis how long ago was that?

A long time ago.

The days of "Saturday Wrestlling". It beats the "Y Fronts" of the current American Glam Shows.

his little blonde bit used to get to me. In fact it still does.

Saint sand Greavsie have just sprung to mind too.

Too late ;-)

No, call them and make sure they reach a deal with ESPN/Star for the build-up and half-time chat, they can block the actual game that's fine because you can then just zap to the new channel broadcasting the match.

Also, a lot of their chat shows that are NOT around matches also include some video from Prem. matches.. would that be a problem?

Or, since True to have the rights they can just leave ESPN/Star on just the same as now, don't mess with it. The Thai audience will probably tune in to the new channels right...

Oh, or if they DO mess with ESPN/Star then I have a VERY GOOD reason to call them, namely to cancel my subscription. It's already ludicrously over-priced. I came THIS close to unsubscribing when they tried the 'Platinum' scam, adding very low cost channels but not offering them to Gold subscribers who pay 1500 baht a month!!

I am *SO* going to set up a PC with video card in the UK, then stream the video to my ADSL connection here. (And that'll help with getting Youtube again too. :o )

Edited by chanchao

So you lose the intro and half time chat and you call it a "disaster". The Gold package is going to show 7-8 games and the big question is whether or not they will still show the top game of the round or whether you're going to need the Platinum to get that.

I wouldn't call giving John Dykes &Co a disaster. As long as you get the good games on Gold and they don't stick in commercials in any form during the match then that'll do.

Seems we've got a lot of spoilt brat Limeys out there.

> Seems we've got a lot of spoilt brat Limeys out there.

I'm not a Limey, though I do generally get along well with them except in places where the "Limeys per Tarang Wa" figure gets real high, but it's like that will all nationalities including my own.

Brits make great expats because they've been at it for so long, all over the world. Put a Swede, German or Frenchman in a random third world country and he just makes an ass of himself OR goes completely local. Brits however quickly and naturally find a workable balance between home & far away lands without ever finding the need to learn the language properly. :o

Back on topic, the most terrifying thought is not just the usual gang of pundits, it's of course losing super babe Jamie Yeo.

Edited by chanchao

> Seems we've got a lot of spoilt brat Limeys out there.

I'm not a Limey, though I do generally get along well with them except in places where the "Limeys per Tarang Wa" figure gets real high, but it's like that will all nationalities including my own.

Brits make great expats because they've been at it for so long, all over the world. Put a Swede, German or Frenchman in a random third world country and he just makes an ass of himself OR goes completely local. Brits however quickly and naturally find a workable balance between home & far away lands without ever finding the need to learn the language properly. :D

Back on topic, the most terrifying thought is not just the usual gang of pundits, it's of course losing super babe Jamie Yeo.

That was my first fear. What am I going to do on Sunday mornings without Jamie and the footy highlights to, ahem, wake up to???? The missus just doesn't cut it next to Jamie :o

Too late ;-)

No, call them and make sure they reach a deal with ESPN/Star for the build-up and half-time chat, they can block the actual game that's fine because you can then just zap to the new channel broadcasting the match.

Also, a lot of their chat shows that are NOT around matches also include some video from Prem. matches.. would that be a problem?

Or, since True to have the rights they can just leave ESPN/Star on just the same as now, don't mess with it. The Thai audience will probably tune in to the new channels right...

Oh, or if they DO mess with ESPN/Star then I have a VERY GOOD reason to call them, namely to cancel my subscription. It's already ludicrously over-priced. I came THIS close to unsubscribing when they tried the 'Platinum' scam, adding very low cost channels but not offering them to Gold subscribers who pay 1500 baht a month!!

I am *SO* going to set up a PC with video card in the UK, then stream the video to my ADSL connection here. (And that'll help with getting Youtube again too. :o )

Next time I see Paula in the pub just before I put my foot in my mouth and abuse her i will tell her some people ike the footie shows.

Pals have seen other pundits in Muddy Murphey's with girls ignoring a game then they commented on it like they saw it!