Espn / Star Sports Scrapped From Next Month.

chanchao

It means exactly what? That the whole ESPN will be cancelled? Or that ESPN will feed Thailand some other version, without football?

I guess Thais don't want to see match previews and highlights in English.

JNASHDDS 2007 -06-28

Spoke to TrueVision Customer Service today because the Program Guide for July did NOT have ESPN. I was told that the contracts for ESPN and STAR SPORTS may not be renewed, but an official announcement would be soon forthcoming.

I think all concerned subscribers should call ASAP (027252525) and threaten cancellation of their subscriptions.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means exactly what? That the whole ESPN will be cancelled? Or that ESPN will feed Thailand some other version, without football?

I guess Thais don't want to see match previews and highlights in English.

JNASHDDS 2007 -06-28

Spoke to TrueVision Customer Service today because the Program Guide for July did NOT have ESPN. I was told that the contracts for ESPN and STAR SPORTS may not be renewed, but an official announcement would be soon forthcoming.

I think all concerned subscribers should call ASAP (027252525) and threaten cancellation of their subscriptions.

Who says you can't fool all of the people all of the time? UBC have been doing it for years. I subscribed for two years, got fed up with repeats so bought dynsat three years ago. I still get 75% repeats but only paid once. Yes I have to recode daily but figure it's worth it. If a decent cable company came up with the goods I'd pay 3,000bht a month till then no way. Vote with your Bhat.

I'll ask again. Is J-sat legal in Thailand?

I too would like to know the answer to this question.

My guess is that the hardware installation is legal (dish, set top box etc), and of course the receiving of any free to air channels is legal.

It is my understanding that the reception of the 'premium' channels is through a decoding device which is constantly updated via an internet connection to keep viewers 'one step ahead'. I would say that this part of the service is illegal.

On another subject, I note that 3 new A La Carte packages are being offered that include some new channels like HBO Signature, and Discovery RT. Details are in the July Magazine, but are in Thai. I'm really not interested in these channels, but curious to know if , as a platinum subscriber, they are included, or is this something new that will require yet further subscriptions?

Also in the new mag is a sports spread in the centre pages which is promoting forthcoming sports events on UBC - all on either Sports Action or Super Sports, and not a word of any of the stuff usually broadcast on ESPN/Star Sports. I fear the worst.

Cutting off Wimbledon half way through the tournament will surely be a new low, even by UBC/True standards.

It really is a bloody mess and I will be talking to J Sat shortly - illegality not withstanding.

I'll ask again. Is J-sat legal in Thailand?

I too would like to know the answer to this question.

My guess is that the hardware installation is legal (dish, set top box etc), and of course the receiving of any free to air channels is legal.

It is my understanding that the reception of the 'premium' channels is through a decoding device which is constantly updated via an internet connection to keep viewers 'one step ahead'. I would say that this part of the service is illegal.

On another subject, I note that 3 new A La Carte packages are being offered that include some new channels like HBO Signature, and Discovery RT. Details are in the July Magazine, but are in Thai. I'm really not interested in these channels, but curious to know if , as a platinum subscriber, they are included, or is this something new that will require yet further subscriptions?

Also in the new mag is a sports spread in the centre pages which is promoting forthcoming sports events on UBC - all on either Sports Action or Super Sports, and not a word of any of the stuff usually broadcast on ESPN/Star Sports. I fear the worst.

Cutting off Wimbledon half way through the tournament will surely be a new low, even by UBC/True standards.

It really is a bloody mess and I will be talking to J Sat shortly - illegality not withstanding.

I didn't realize they lost the rights to the Prem in other countries, including the very country where they are based and have their studios, Singapore. Amazing.

To the mods, is it possible to delete all the double posts? It's annoying.

No more ESPN/Star will probably mean no more Wimbledon after Saturday, British Open golf, Asian Cup football, Six Nations rugby, rugby world cup etc etc in the coming months.........unless these are offfered on True channels (pay per view?).

I live in the sticks outside Chiang Mai with no ADSL so the South African channel is out. Does anybody know if there's a satellite I can access for the espnstar channels? I've already got a dish fixed on the Pas 8 satellite for Australia Network .....and a UBC dish which I'm seriously thinking about using as a wok.

I wonder how bar and restaurant owners will feel now that their venues won't be as attractive without sport on their screens......unless you call jet ski races at Pattaya or an extended interview with Gerard Houllier sport.

No more ESPN/Star will probably mean no more Wimbledon after Saturday, British Open golf, Asian Cup football, Six Nations rugby, rugby world cup etc etc in the coming months.........unless these are offfered on True channels (pay per view?).

I live in the sticks outside Chiang Mai with no ADSL so the South African channel is out. Does anybody know if there's a satellite I can access for the espnstar channels? I've already got a dish fixed on the Pas 8 satellite for Australia Network .....and a UBC dish which I'm seriously thinking about using as a wok.

I wonder how bar and restaurant owners will feel now that their venues won't be as attractive without sport on their screens......unless you call jet ski races at Pattaya or an extended interview with Gerard Houllier sport.

Bars and restaurants tend to be in urban areas where alternatives exist; or they'll have to go get their own sat dishes in a hurry....

If this really happens it will be the final nail in UBC/Truevisions coffin.

While we will know the answers to our questions on Sunday, I think it safe to say they will allow some free viewing of the new A La Carte packages by gold and platinum subscribers, and then a few months later up the price so that in order to get the other channels you want you will have to pay for these as well. At that time, they may throw in some other really not wanted channel (more documentaries?) to help sell the idea.

For those with kids, the two Disney channels and HBO Family may be of interest.

UBC alltogether is not special at all anyway . I agree with one poster saying what the restaurants will do who when

the english premier leage is in action is packed with customers . Satellite tv like Dynasat is considering worth. The only

thing I was thinking about is that I heard that they were stealing the signals from UBC , I do not know if it is true ?

So me thinking , if it is that UBC is not airing anymore these channels , satellites like DYNASAT will not be able to steal aren't they ?? Or do I have a misunderstanding here .....

Who says you can't fool all of the people all of the time? UBC have been doing it for years. I subscribed for two years, got fed up with repeats so bought dynsat three years ago. I still get 75% repeats but only paid once. Yes I have to recode daily but figure it's worth it. If a decent cable company came up with the goods I'd pay 3,000bht a month till then no way. Vote with your Bhat.

OK, a bit off topic, but I am trying to learn about dishes. Every time I check their websites, I end up understanding even less than when I started. Hence, my question to you. Since you already own a dish and recode daily to get the scrambled signals, why would you be willing to pay THB 3,000 per month if a decent cable company came along? What downsides are there to the dish?

Thanks,

OMR

OK, a bit off topic, but I am trying to learn about dishes. Every time I check their websites, I end up understanding even less than when I started. Hence, my question to you. Since you already own a dish and recode daily to get the scrambled signals, why would you be willing to pay THB 3,000 per month if a decent cable company came along? What downsides are there to the dish?

There's two separate issues: Downsides to a 'big dish' system and downsides to illegally decoding scrambled channels.

The latter is the bigger issue: For sure at the moment it's possible to circumvent the technology and watch the channels even though it's illegal. However, it is LIKELY that in the not too distant future, the scrambling will be changed and/or improved, leading *AT THE VERY LEAST* to more effort in unscrambling, and perhaps more likely, losing the ability to descramble. Then you will have spent 20-30K baht and you're back to square one.

The other issue is more minor; With big dishes you typically don't have all your favorite channels on a single satellite, meaning that you would want a movable dish with electric motors that can adjust to different satellites. This inevitably takes some time (10 seconds, 20 seconds) so flipping through channels becomes harder.

Note that unscrambling is illegal and as such cannot be discussed here on Thaivisa, unless mods feel it's an emergency that will lead to imminent disaster and collapse of Farang civilization as we know it, as per the topic's sub-title. :o

Edited by chanchao

The JSat guys are here with me this afternoon.. So I'll be asking lots of questions..

Ironically (and I almost put my tin foil hat on when it happened) UBC called me the moment the JSat guys walked in... to... get this.... chase me for payment of my next years subscription.... which I then pointed out to them did not run out for another month because I get 13 months for paying for a full year upfront....

After *arguing with me about it* they admitted I was right and that I don't owe them any money.

Boy did that guy regret calling me! I passed on that I think that a lot of customers will be leaving them this weekend, and wished them good luck with their chicken and pig farms in future..

Note that unscrambling is illegal

I wasn't condoning it. I just wanted to hear what other issues may be involved given the comment that despite owning a dish and receiving the scrambled signals he would still pay THB 3,000 per month if a decent cable company was available.

From your explanation, the constant moving of the dish location is a major downside. No flipping through channels and somehow, someway, I would end up pointing the dish towards my neighbor's wall.

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't condoning it. I just wanted to hear what other issues may be involved given the comment that despite owning a dish and receiving the scrambled signals he would still pay THB 3,000 per month if a decent cable company was available.

From your explanation, the constant moving of the dish location is a major downside. No flipping through channels and somehow, someway, I would end up pointing the dish towards my neighbor's wall.

Thanks for the info.

I think Chanchao's post pretty much sums it up. I would also be concerned about my internet going down which updates the decoding. I would be less concerned about moving the dish. I guess I would get used to it.

I've stuck with UBC all these years, because it pretty much provides what I need , and more importantly, it's legal.

But the latest moves to screw us around which looks like it will mean the loss of Grand Slam tennis and the five Major golf events is the final straw. Rugby also seems to have disappeared and it seems unlikely we will get the World cup. To say nothing of missing my favourite pundits on ESPN, I got to quite like them, and they certainly kept you up to date on goings and comings in the Premiership.

So I may well take the plunge and see what J Sat have to offer.

Scratt, I'd be really interested in your feed back.

Edited by Mobi

Thanks for the info.

I think Chanchao's post pretty much sums it up. I would also be concerned about my internet going down which updates the decoding. I would be less concerned about moving the dish. I guess I would get used to it.

I've stuck with UBC all these years, because it pretty much provides what I need , and more importantly, it's legal.

But the latest moves to screw us around which looks like it will mean the loss of Grand Slam tennis and the five Major golf events is the final straw. Rugby also seems to have disappeared and it seems unlikely we will get the World cup. To say nothing of missing my favourite pundits on ESPN, I got to quite like them, and they certainly kept you up to date on goings and comings in the Premiership.

So I may well take the plunge and see what J Sat have to offer.

Scratt, I'd be really interested in your feed back.

Losing ESPN and Star is the final straw I'm going to cancel the subscription this weekend, Although I won't miss these two channels with their minor golf competitions, Spelling contests, Juggling and Pool-not even Grandstand on BBC served up such shoddy 'sports' - I will miss Mase, Macca, Jamie and 'I'm not going grey' John Dykes and some of the other football build up shows. I won't miss the endless repeats, terrible films and cheap morbid documentaries, the hopeless history channel, the adverts and trying in vain to find something interesting with the remote control and then switching back to the DMX music channels once again.What a con :o

You've got to be kidding. First I thought they're only cutting out the Premiership, but reading through the responses it seems they're totally dropping ESPN/Star Sports? That means we'll lose access to events like Wimbledon, US Open, Premiership, Spanish Liga, Formula 1, etc.

Someone wake me up!

I sent an email to them to try and get confirmation of them dropping these channels and have not heard anything back from them. I know someone else who has been trying to call them all day with no luck...I will definitely be cancelling my subscription this weekend. Most of the people I know will be doing the same.

At least it gives me some time to find alternatives before the Premiership season starts but to lose Wimbledon half way through the tournament is very bad service.

Sarpedon, if you'd read the thread you'd see the response they've been giving. Probably no change so far. Everyone will just have to wait for July 1. Any updates on that day post here, those of you in Thailand.

Sarpedon, if you'd read the thread you'd see the response they've been giving. Probably no change so far. Everyone will just have to wait for July 1. Any updates on that day post here, those of you in Thailand.

Maybe it'll be a good thing as some of us need to get out more :o

I think a protest is in order here.

I cant believe why anyone would shell out money to that company. The sports coverage is crap. Eg no cricket world cup, no super 14 rugby, no tri-nations.

They basically show soccer and repeat movies and odd sports that few people watch.

If youre in LOS long term get yourself a satellite system and get the monthly shows free. Cant mention the companies out there, forum rules.

for sports nuts esp rugby get multisports

just called them and they said: they are still in negotiations.

buckheads! pure greed reigning! there are no negotiations.

if they scrap star sports from the gold package hel_l will break loose, it would become my personal life mission to destroy that monopolist.

well you football fans will have to join us rugby fans and cancel UBC.

when they stopped showing super 12 when it was super12, I went off UBC. And then the following year no rugby internationals from the Southern Hemisphere unless they were playing Nth Hemi, and now theres no rugby except for some english club rugby, and they expect us to pay what? 1500-2000 per month!

rack off noddys, you greedy f*ckers!! :o

You've got to be kidding. First I thought they're only cutting out the Premiership, but reading through the responses it seems they're totally dropping ESPN/Star Sports? That means we'll lose access to events like Wimbledon, US Open, Premiership, Spanish Liga, Formula 1, etc.

Someone wake me up!

Apologies if I am repeating what has alreay been said, but its a long topic and I may have missed something.

STAR/ESPN schedules are published on the website but not in Julys magazine which could indicate they had intended to drop STAR/ESPN. Maybe they will. I hope not.

MY concern is the English commentary. This week, on screen, TRUE were advertising for English language commentators! I hope we are not going to have to suffer someone based in a studio in Bangkok.

I could just about survive without football but not Formula 1.

Edited to remove a factual inaccuracy.

Edited by DenThai

DenThai, in the original article about True taking over the Prem rights, it said that match commentary in English would be available straight from England, not some commentators in a studio in Thailand. Perhaps they wanted commentators for a pregame, halftime, and postgame studio show in English for those that don't want to watch the Thai language show of the same. Or, perhaps it's for English translation of what the Thai commentator's are saying in said shows, not the match commentary, though.

Edited by Jimjim

Football: FA Cup, Champions League

Golf: British and US Opens, US Masters

Tennis: Wimbledon, Australian, US Opens

Motorsport: F1 and MotoGPs

Rugby: Six Nations (Rugby fans should get the free Australia Network for Super 14s and Tri Nations as well as two rugby league games a week, and all 3 Origins plus AFL (4 or so games a weekend).

Basketball

Baseball

Pool

to disappear with espnstar.

I wonder what middle class golf or tennis playing Thais will make of True Visions' move to scrap the channels.....not to mention the petrol heads amongst them. No more access to Champions League games mightn't please 'em either.

Before cancelling my subscription I'd like to know if True Visions has any plans to show all the above sports on any other channel.