5x2.5 cable?

I will install (24V) RGBW LED strips in my apartment. Sometimes it is necessary that the LED controller is a few meters away from the LED strips and I need some cable in between. The cable needs at least 5 strands. 2.5sqmm should be good for what I need, 1.5sqmm is possible but not optimal.

Unfortunately, I don't find any 5x2.5 cable anywhere (online).

I can live with flexible or not so flexible cable. It should be one cable and not 5 separate wires.

What are my options? And where to buy it online or anywhere in Bangkok?

I guess I could use xxx-G 4x2.5/2.5 cable. But I don't like the idea to use the yellow/green earth wire for anything but earth.

Thanks

IMG_20221130_165243.thumb.jpg.41949ea1904bba4ff48d0502a9593a8e.jpg

5 individual wires and a few meters of heat shrink or pull in conduit/poly tube or place in panduit on wall ?

if you have that much current, heat might be an issue over time, so i would consider the insulation temperature rating for full conduit rather than air. 

Thanks for your comments.

I know I don't really need 2.5sqmm.

I like to use that "thick" cable to lose as little of the voltage as possible.

In one area I have likely 5meter to the left and 5meter to the right and if possible I like to feed it with just one cable. It could be max about 10A.

I mentioned 1.5sqmm because that is obviously an option. But it seems that is also not easily available.

It is also possible that I will use in some area 12V, and that doubles the current right away... 

@Crossy 

Thanks! I just contracted Bangkok Cable on their website. Let's look how they react.

9 minutes ago, degrub said:

What about taking the AC power supply to the user device and limiting the DC cable length  ?

In some areas that is possible, in others not.

I will install some LED lights along the walls on my floor. I prepared already pipes for the cables in the walls up to the floor. The power supplies and controllers will be in the ceiling. 

I want something like similar to this.

large_01.jpeg.d099996865ce0e59c14a0d9391bab983.jpeg.47f0666c68bb43639360966b23302686.jpeg

We need to hear how many meters of LED strip your using on your longest run of cable.  Plus the watts/meter.  What voltage are the strips.  I can't believe 18guage 1mm wire isn't enough 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

possible 24v best choice for long strip

local led system guys have many rgb display system on walls some 50 meter loop

heavy cable not required for long run wide area systems

long strip sections can use rgb amplifier on common rail supply

control lines connect using multicores flat rgb cable

can also use dmx slave control for big area rgb install

rgb flat cable

rgbled.jpg.7349a33841e3575ec3775607d21fce2f.jpg

rgb amplifier

rgbamp.jpg.7b2054cad4fb18ea39dcd8ec80dfde1a.jpg

• Like 1

https://thesmartcave.com/led-strips-guide/.  

Have you chosen your strip and PS yet.     Are you wanting to do digital controlled color changing effects?   You can run power to multiple points on the strip and use  digital sync boxes.   I assume you have the cool fast connect ceiling dance pole mounts  in multiple locations. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all your comments.

My questions is/was really only about the cables.

I know enough about all the LED versions and how to install them and control them, etc.

Currently I use 24V LED strips in one area. Maybe I use 12V in another area and it could even happen that I use 5V somewhere. If I use 12V instead of 24V then the current will be double and if I use 5V it will more than double again.

With 2.5sqmm I am ready for whatever might come. And for these kind of cables there is no such thing as too thick. If I install 2.5sqmm now, then I never have to worry again in case I change my mind later which voltage I will use. And yes, I know then I need another power supply.

And for anybody who wants to learn about any aspects of LED lights I recommend this website. The guy also has an interesting YouTube channel.

https://quinled.info/

1 minute ago, bluejets said:

Multiple cores, numbered not coloured, are available in circular cable, either 2.5 or 1.5  but you may have to take in multiples offered i.e. 6 or 10 core including a laid up earth.

Thanks, do you have a local link or name for such a cable?

Not coloured is not optimal but I can live with that. I just mark them on each end.

I bought this Yazaki 5x2.5mm flexible cable cut to length from my favorite local supplier (Saha Faifa in Chiang Mai) last year.  If I can find it in CM, I assume you can find it in BKK.   Used it for an air conditioner install.  Conductors are are all in black insulation, and have numbers 1-5  printed along the length of each - although you might not be able to see the detail in this picture.

20211030_122453.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 11:50 AM, Crossy said:

SK Universal https://www.sk-wires.com/ can almost certainly source the cable, but they will only do it in the full 100m lengths.

Today I received a reply from them per LINE.

I asked for 30m and they are happy to supply that.

300/500V IEC53 4C x 1.5/1.5 mm2 = 5C
30M = 77 baht/M.

300/500V IEC53 4C x 2.5/2.5 mm2 = 5C
30M = 110 baht/M.

600V CVV 5C x 2. 5 mm2  
30M = 100 baht/M.

5C all black with marking numbers

Now I have to look how much I really need before I order.

Thanks for all your comments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

https://th.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/electrical-power-industrial-cables/control-cable/?applied-dimensions=4294878698,4294855310

Also, you can order many variations of 5x2.5mm cable online at TH RS Components.   It usually costs more than local Thai electric shops, but you can find international name brands such as Lapp Kabel.

Thanks. I have to admit I didn't think about them.

I bought a few things from them always only if I didn't find it anywhere else. And then it was normally at least double the price of what I panned to pay. It is definitely an option if there are no alternatives.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

600V CVV 5C x 2. 5 mm2  
30M = 100 baht/M.

5C all black with marking numbers

Fast reply, fast delivery, looks like good quality

https://www.sk-wires.com/

50m should be enough to start.

The numbers are small but easy enough to read.

IMG_20221209_131807.thumb.jpg.58b5c4ebd9bbcbafc2c2bc3909ce670f.jpg

IMG_20221209_131901.thumb.jpg.34b9fb3af0f8921597584abe101e66cf.jpg

Thanks @Crossy 

• Like 1