No Car Blue Book, Car Not In Your Name.

pleple

Do you know how vehicle ownership is registered in Thailand ?

Seems not - so I will clarify it again ...

The blue book has the GF name as the vehicle owner, so ...

She is the owner.

No 'are you sure', receipts prove who PAID for the car, not who owns it, which brings us back to ...

And yes, in this country, it is as 'easy' as that.

Go to the DLT and ask them - who has their name in the book is the owner.

21 minutes ago, seedy said:

Do you know how vehicle ownership is registered in Thailand ?

Seems not - so I will clarify it again ...

The blue book has the GF name as the vehicle owner, so ...

She is the owner.

No 'are you sure', receipts prove who PAID for the car, not who owns it, which brings us back to ...

And yes, in this country, it is as 'easy' as that.

Go to the DLT and ask them - who has their name in the book is the owner.

No I’m not sure...  I’ve had plenty of cars and motorcycles of many years... but the ’specifics of ownership vs registration’ are not something I’ve looked into... hence why I asked the question... 

Is registration the same as ownership ??? - You seem very confident in your answer so it seems that the Blue Book does state ‘owner of the vehicle’ or ‘registered owner of the vehicle’  rather than 'vehicle registered to.....'

So, I think we can close that question - you’ve answered it quite clearly.

Name in blue book = owner.

2 hours ago, seedy said:

When I bought my first car here - which I still own - went to Immigration and paid the 500 THB for fast track.

On a Tourist Visa, staying in a guest house on Jomtien Soi 4 - right handy to Imm too.

Provided a letter from said guest house attesting I was a resident there.

And was issued a Certificate of Residence - imagine that !

Guess I'll have to take your word on that.

I recall years ago when I wanted to open a bank account on a tourist visa and also apply for a Thai drivers license I was told I needed a Certificate of Residence and had to go to immigration to get one.

I went to the immigration office on a tourist visa at the time and was told cannot do, must have a Non O Visa.

Maybe things have changed since then, but I'm pretty sure you still can't open a bank account or get a Thai driver's license with a tourist visa, which makes me ask the question, how can you get a Certificate of Residence to buy a car if you can't get a Thai driver's license, it just doesn't make sense to me.

But if you and FriendlyFarang say otherwise, well I stand corrected.

@FriendlyFarang

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I recall years ago when I wanted to open a bank account on a tourist visa and also apply for a Thai drivers license I was told I needed a Certificate of Residence and had to go to immigration to get one.

I went to the immigration office on a tourist visa at the time and was told cannot do, must have a Non O Visa.

Maybe things have changed since then, but I'm pretty sure you still can't open a bank account or get a Thai driver's license with a tourist visa, which makes me ask the question, how can you get a Certificate of Residence to buy a car if you can't get a Thai driver's license, it just doesn't make sense to me.

But if you and FriendlyFarang say otherwise, well I stand corrected.

@FriendlyFarang

Mileage varies... 

At Immigration in Bangkok, you need to have submitted a 90 day report to get a Certificate of Residence.

According to reports on here, in Chiang Mai, they’ll just give you one (no matter if you have done your 90 day report or not). 

Also.. 

The British Embassy will only give you an Affirmation of Address If you are on a ‘long term visa’ (i.e. resident Visa - Non Imm visa or Thai Elite etc).... 

But, other Embassies are not so picky and will give you an Affirmation of Address even if you are on visa exempt....

Thus: Experiences vary... 

• Thanks 1

A good lawyer is the only way to sort this out. Just had something similar and the car is now back on my possession together with the tabien rot, signed transfer form and power of attorney - all carried out by my Thai lawyer.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I posted my experience. Your belief is not and was not required.

And I opened a bank account on a tourist visa in my second year in Thailand.

You either do not know how, or who to ask how.

12 hours ago, seedy said:

I posted my experience. Your belief is not and was not required.

And I opened a bank account on a tourist visa in my second year in Thailand.

You either do not know how, or who to ask how.

We are obviously not talking your standard tourist visa.

That said, your a lot of fun :stoner:

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

We are obviously not talking your standard tourist visa.

Just a regular 60 day tourist visa - in 2005/6

That is what I was talking about, no fancy schmansy, HiSo, gold plated, OTHER kind of tourist visa - which AFAIK did not and does not exist.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'm pretty sure you still can't open a bank account or get a Thai driver's license with a tourist visa

There's a lot of dudes who claim that you can open a bank account on a tourist visa but when pressed it's revealed that they did so many years ago when things were a bit more laissez-faire.

They're also very reluctant to name the bank and the branch. I'm not sure why that is, maybe they want to be the "only farang in the village" or maybe it's because they had to walk around in the hot sun for three days going from branch to branch and they want everybody else to suffer like them ????

Perhaps it can be done in little country towns like Pattaya but I'm not so sure about here in the big smoke. 

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

A good lawyer is the only way to sort this out. Just had something similar and the car is now back on my possession together with the tabien rot, signed transfer form and power of attorney - all carried out by my Thai lawyer.

Maybe good info for the Op if you let him (us) know the cost of the good lawyer and how long the process took. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe good info for the Op if you let him (us) know the cost of the good lawyer and how long the process took. 

Its difficult to comment on the cost as it was part of a bigger litigation against my ex wife which involved criminal charges.  A pure guess would be that the portion relating to the car was 20,000.

My lawyer turned up 2 decisions from cases heard in the supreme court where a foreign husband had been successful in having assets returned.

Thai courts expect both parties to negotiate and try to settle matters prior to any court hearing.  I had plenty of evidence that I had in fact bought and paid for the car - even though I was out of the country at the time.  I obtained a letter from the seller stating that all negotiations for purchase had taken place between myself and him and produced my bank statements showing the transfer of funds for the car.

I had previously asked my ex to return the car and she refused - even produced a spurious 'loan agreement' that claimed she had used the car as collateral for a loan.  Once a court summons was issued, my lawyer called my ex, advised her of the past supreme court decisions and asked her if she would like to reconsider - she did and I have the car back.  I had used the same lawyer before and my ex knew she doesn't muck about.

Over the years I've seen several stories and there seems to be a general view that the 'farang' always loses in legal cases.  I think most of the people involved in such cases simply walked away without even trying.  My experience has been different - I was involved in litigation against a hospital that had acted against me resulting in me paying 120,000 baht needlessly.  Again, once legal papers were issued the defendant backed down. 

Every case is different but the OP would be well advised to seek legal advice - if he's anywhere near Nakhon Ratchasima I'd be happy to give him my lawyer's details - she won't operate outside that area.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

this is what I'm talking about there's only 1 way to get the correct info in thailand more you pay the more correct the info pay more and get what you want , the cars a bloody good one its got 22000 on the clock and its a kia hahah555