Jump to content

No Car Blue Book, Car Not In Your Name.


pleple
 Share

Recommended Posts

have a small problem
i bought a used car in thailand over a year ago, i have sales receipt from dealer and amount paid 189000 thb, all in my name, and official receipts for this purchase.
when i purchased the car i found i could not register in my name as i did not hold correct visa (only a tourist visa) to do this,
thus i registered the car in my former partners name, we since have broken up and she refuses to transfer the car registration and hand over the blue book, i have possession of the car and she has no access to it
and now i believe i has run out of registration 
 can anyonehelp me or point me in the right direction to get the car registered in my name as i am the physical owner
i am returning to thailand at the end of january 23 and have received my business visa for 3 months,as i own property in thailand
 as the land transport department stated when i contacted them i need a non immigrant visa to register a car in thailand which allows me to get a resident certificate
can I change this to my name without bluebook??
I have all former girlfriends details also
Kind Regards 
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can for sure register a car or bike on a tourist visa - whoever told you it is not possible is a ...

As the book is in your GF's name, no matter what receipts you have all she has to do is say that you 'gave' the car to her. The onus will be on you to prove otherwise.

This will involve the courts, most likely need a lawyer, and the bill will approach or exceed what you paid for the car.

As well as take a very long time - years most likely if the GF fights it. Which it appears she is doing.

Edited by seedy
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2011 at 10:47 AM, MegaRanter said:

The person whose name it was purchased with don't need it but would not provide the blue book.

IF they have the Blue registration book for the car, why will they not hand it over if the car is yours ???

 

A loan-shark is holding it? some other reason?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

as the book is in your GF's name, no matter what receipts you have all she has to do is say that you 'gave' the car to her.

[deleted - I guess you are referring to pleple's post]

Edited by richard_smith237
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the o.p can do anything abt the situation 

Taking the car to a remote location and setting it on fire is an option.

Someone mentioned that ,generally speaking, you can register a vehicle on any visa

I don't know about Pattaya and such places, full of farangs, but out in the provinces, only a work permit will do.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Op could offer money to the Ex in exchange for transferring ownership into his name. 

 

Personally - with something like this I’d be tempted to play dirty.

 

Get the Ex onside telling her he’ll give her a pre-agreed amount to transfer the registration into his name. Once done, tell her to take a hike, it was never her car in the first place !... 

 

 

 

But... first things first... The op is not in Thailand until late Jan - does he even have possession of the car or has the exGF already sold it on ???... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I don't know about Pattaya and such places, full of farangs, but out in the provinces, only a work permit will do.

I bought my HD, 2006, on a tourist visa. It had a BKK plate on it, which it still does. Changed green book out by Regents school. Zero problems.

Registered bikes and cars in many provinces - Udon Thani, Songkhla, Hua Hin, Rayong, etc etc etc with zero problems.

Never had a work permit in my life.

For the last 5 or so years I have used my pink Thai ID card - so green and blue books have my name in Thai script.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, sorry 4 the reality check but you don't own jack, and could actually get seriously f'd by the actual legal owner (your ex) if she decides to hard ball the matter and the car you are currently technically in ill/non-legal possession of then becomes stolen property.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, seedy said:

I bought my HD, 2006, on a tourist visa. It had a BKK plate on it, which it still does. Changed green book out by Regents school. Zero problems.

Registered bikes and cars in many provinces - Udon Thani, Songkhla, Hua Hin, Rayong, etc etc etc with zero problems.

Never had a work permit in my life.

For the last 5 or so years I have used my pink Thai ID card - so green and blue books have my name in Thai script.

Fair enough.

In my province,(Songkla) I have never managed to register anything in my name.

Beginning in 2003..

.Last time it was in 2019, on a non-O.

Even when I changed my DL to a Thai one, the word was 'Work permit' 

My Mrs made a scene and they relented on this one.

I had identical problems when opening bank accts btw.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

Fair enough.

In my province,(Songkla) I have never managed to register anything in my name.

Beginning in 2003..

.Last time it was in 2019, on a non-O.

Even when I changed my DL to a Thai one, the word was 'Work permit' 

My Mrs made a scene and they relented on this one.

I had identical problems when opening bank accts btw.

Get a Yellow house book and the Pink ID card that goes with it.

That should cure your problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can keep paying road tax for the car if you have a photocopy of the blue book, 

 

if you haven't paid road taxes at all for 3+ years you'll need access to the blue book to get it legal again, and without up to date road tax on the windshield, your next police checkpoint could become awkward if the police ask for a copy of the bluebook and saw that it was not in your name, the car untaxed and uninsured.

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, pleple said:
when i purchased the car i found i could not register in my name as i did not hold correct visa (only a tourist visa) to do this,
thus i registered the car in my former partners name, we since have broken up and she refuses to transfer the car registration and hand over the blue book, i have possession of the car and she has no access to it
and now i believe i has run out of registration 

Why on earth do people do crazy stuff like this, it's the same as giving her 189,000 baht and saying look for a car for me while I am away and if it's a good one, buy it, suffice to say your chances of ever seeing that money ever again, in other words, you f'd up.

 

Hopefully you will learn from your experience ?

 

Tell her your returning to Thailand when you are and you will give her 20,000 baht to transfer the car to you, if she doesn't, she will not only lose the 20,000 baht generous offer, but she will be up for all of the court costs, because that will be the next step for you.

 

Now hopefully she is smart and will accept your offer, that, or if she still loves you, your up the creek wasting a lot of money in court.

 

As they say here in Thailand, Som Nam Naa.

 

I purchased a car years ago for 800k baht, could have put it in my name, but chose to put it in my wife's name, if our relationship ever went south, well, that is what I am prepared to lose, besides, she will need the car to drive the kids to school, that said, if there were no kids, the car would be in my name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Tell her your returning to Thailand when you are and you will give her 20,000 baht to transfer the car to you, if she doesn't, she will not only lose the 20,000 baht generous offer, but she will be up for all of the court costs, because that will be the next step for you.

She can just claim that OP gifted the car to her, she has evidence for this, because OP registered the car in her name. Does OP have any evidence that he didn't gift her the car?

She can also report the car as stolen, it's legally her car, this might see OP arrested and deported before his case is even heard in court.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

She can just claim that OP gifted the car to her, she has evidence for this, because OP registered the car in her name. Does OP have any evidence that he didn't gift her the car?

She can also report the car as stolen, it's legally her car, this might see OP arrested and deported before his case is even heard in court.

He can also show causation for purchasing the car in her name, e.g. invalid visa for purchasing the car, dealer can be a witness for this, bank account funds showing the transfer to the dealership.

 

Any judge could see this, however the case has to be presented exactly how the purchase occurred, i.e. it was never his intention for her to own the car.

 

As with law, it basically is up to the judge to sift through all the arguments and then make the final decision.

 

I would say he would win, that said, would probably cost him more than the car is worth, suffice to say why I suggested he offer her 20,000 baht to transfer it to him, that's a lot of money she would be throwing away if she knocked it back as she wouldn't see the car again and he could try selling it to a wrecking yard for parts for well below market, or drive it unregistered as others do, or swap plates and put a dummy label on it as the cops here are could be too dumb to check IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Law is clear - it is the GF's car.

No judge will ever rule in the foreigners name on this basis alone.

You have no proof - or way to prove - that if she said "He bought it for me and then took it away" she is not correct.

That is all she has to say, and you will be forced by the court to return HER car to her - and most likely pay ALL court costs.

Just put it down to the continuing cost of your education.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

He can also show causation for purchasing the car in her name, e.g. invalid visa for purchasing the car, dealer can be a witness for this, bank account funds showing the transfer to the dealership.

A vehicle can be registered with a tourist visa, if he buys a car as a gift for his girlfriend it's just reasonable that he transferred the money to the dealer.

 

54 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

that's a lot of money she would be throwing away if she knocked it back as she wouldn't see the car again

Why would she not see the car again? Currently it's legally her car, if OP wants to change this he would have to go to court and challenge the transfer in her name.
Currently she could simply demand that OP gives her the car back. If OP refuses to do this she can go to a police station, report that he stole her car, upon entry to Thailand OP will be arrested, and depending on the circumstances he might sit in jail until his court hearing. He might then be prosecuted for theft, and deported/banned afterwards.

 

Offering her some money to do the transfer in OPs name is the best choice, but OP has basically no leverage.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
Link to post
Share on other sites

the girlfriends don't even need to go to court, she could ask a friendly cop to accompany her to 'repossess' her car and keys after a breakup or whatever reason 

 

you can try to reclaim your car in court but all evidence is that you paid for the car in her name

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

A vehicle can be registered with a tourist visa, if he buys a car as a gift for his girlfriend it's just reasonable that he transferred the money to the dealer.

It is my understanding and unless convinced otherwise: YOU CAN NOT BUY A CAR WITH A TOURIST VISA!!!

 

You can purchase a car withYour work permit or your certificate or a *letter of residence issued by the Thai immigration or a certificate of residence from their embassy.

 

53 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Currently she could simply demand that OP gives her the car back. If OP refuses to do this she can go to a police station, report that he stole her car, upon entry to Thailand OP will be arrested, and depending on the circumstances he might sit in jail until his court hearing. He might then be prosecuted for theft, and deported/banned afterwards.

I doubt she would go to those lengths, because if it goes to court, it could all blow up in her face and Thai's don't want to spend money they don't have, especially when he could prove where the money came from, also establishing how long the couple were a couple etc, I mean who in their right mind makes a gift for 189,000 baht in their right mind ? As mentioned above, the judge will see that he couldn't purchase it on a tourist visa as you claim, and the only alternative was for him to buy it in her name, and agreed when he returned with the correct visa as he is doing now, that she would transfer the car back to his name, (bring in the dealer) as a witness, like I said before, and as things went pair shape in the meantime she decided, it's my car, no, no, Tiruk, not the case, and like I said before, the judge would see it for what it was, but you believe what you want to believe, I am not going to try to convince you otherwise.

 

59 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Offering her some money to do the transfer in OPs name is the best choice, but OP has basically no leverage.

He has leverage when she agrees, the only other alternative is that he take it to court, if she is stupid enough to ask for more or refuse his offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

It is my understanding and unless convinced otherwise: YOU CAN NOT BUY A CAR WITH A TOURIST VISA!!!

 

You can purchase a car withYour work permit or your certificate or a *letter of residence issued by the Thai immigration or a certificate of residence from their embassy. 

Your 'understanding' is flawed, as I have detailed above.

U need $$$ to buy a car - think a seller cares about your 'work permit' or COR ?

A letter of residence is 500 THB if you do not want to wait. Available the next day.

 

Edited by seedy
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, seedy said:

Your 'understanding' is flawed, as I have detailed above.

U need $$$ to buy a car - think a seller cares about your 'work permit' or COR ?

A letter of residence is 500 THB if you do not want to wait. Available the next day.

 

Please do explain how you obtain a letter of residence if you are on a Tourist Visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, seedy said:

The Law is clear - it is the GF's car.

No judge will ever rule in the foreigners name on this basis alone.

You have no proof - or way to prove - that if she said "He bought it for me and then took it away" she is not correct.

That is all she has to say, and you will be forced by the court to return HER car to her - and most likely pay ALL court costs.

Just put it down to the continuing cost of your education.

 

You seem to know a lot about Thai law, bet my left one you have never ever set foot in a Thai court or spoken to a Thai lawyer.

 

I went to court as a witness for a mate, his ex girlfriend claimed that he gave her the 5,000,000 baht that he claimed she stole, she ended up doing 20 years for fraud.

 

It is easy to prove things, even when you think you don't have a leg to stand on.

 

Will she do the 20 years, well maybe half with all the royal birthdays, good behaviour etc.

 

Not going to try and convince anyone that just because he purchased the car in her name that it is legally hers, there are many factors that can show causation as to the reason the car was put in her name, yes the onus is on him to prove his case and if the judge sees through all the reasons, he can rule that the car is his and make her transfer the paperwork into his name, if you think anything other than that, well your entitle to think what you like, it's not black and white.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Please do explain how you obtain a letter of residence if you are on a Tourist Visa.

You go to your local immigration office and ask for one. If they give you trouble you pay 1000 baht to an agent to get one.

The only province where it’s not possible is Bangkok, but you can do a trip to a neighboring province and register it there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Please do explain how you obtain a letter of residence if you are on a Tourist Visa.

When I bought my first car here - which I still own - went to Immigration and paid the 500 THB for fast track.

On a Tourist Visa, staying in a guest house on Jomtien Soi 4 - right handy to Imm too.

Provided a letter from said guest house attesting I was a resident there.

And was issued a Certificate of Residence - imagine that !

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, pleple said:

i bought a used car in thailand over a year ago, i have sales receipt from dealer and amount paid 189000 thb,

Last year was worth 189k. Now it is worth even less.

If old gf does not want to give you the register book, forget about it.

This cheap car is not worth the trouble and money.

 

Easiest solution, buy a new car in your name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:
23 hours ago, pleple said:

i bought a used car in thailand over a year ago, i have sales receipt from dealer and amount paid 189000 thb,

Last year was worth 189k. Now it is worth even less.

If old gf does not want to give you the register book, forget about it.

This cheap car is not worth the trouble and money.

 

Easiest solution, buy a new car in your name.

You'd walk way from 189k baht ???...   they probably see you coming !!... 

 

If the Op is buying a car for 189,000 baht, it's already because money is tight, otherwise he’d have bought something newer / better. 

 

So easy of you to tell someone else to walk away from over $5000....   outstanding advice. 

 

That amount of money maybe insignificant to a keyboard millionaire as yourself... to others, it matters. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, seedy said:

The Law is clear - it is the GF's car.

Are you sure of that ??... He has receipts and can prove he purchase the car. 

 

The car is ‘registered' in the exGF’s name... Is registration the same as ownership ???

 

4 hours ago, seedy said:

No judge will ever rule in the foreigners name on this basis alone.

Do you know that ??? or are you assuming that ?

 

4 hours ago, seedy said:

You have no proof - or way to prove - that if she said "He bought it for me and then took it away" she is not correct.

He has receipts of purchase.

 

4 hours ago, seedy said:

That is all she has to say, and you will be forced by the court to return HER car to her - and most likely pay ALL court costs.

You are making statements as if they are facts... Do you know this for certain, or are you guessing what my happen ? - which may or may not.

 

IF the Op can prove ownership with receipts - would a court definitely rule in favour of who is in registration document ? 

 

 

4 hours ago, seedy said:

Just put it down to the continuing cost of your education.

Its always so easy for others to tell others to walk away from money... never so easy when its your own money. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...