Scammed by landlord

The Op was misled. 

He was also naive and made a mistake in paying the deposit before seeing the place.

But, the owner is still at fault for the state of the place and also at fault for misrepresenting the place before the Op paid the rent. 

It always amuses me how on this forum we always have people ‘victim blaming’ - in this case its so obvious that the owner is in the wrong for renting out a dirty unliveable place.

I fully expected the same people victim blaming will now ask me how the owner misrepresented the place, do I have proof..... !!!... how about a link !!!...   These type of characters always side behind the the person at fault based on flawed technicalities. 

-----

I remember renting an Air-b’n’b for a few nights in Singapore....  it had no AC... 

I had to move out after the first night. The owner asked why I left a bad review - It was because she didn’t make it clear there was no AC... my fault for ‘assuming’ any place in the tropics would have AC.

Technically - the ad didn’t say it had AC... I should have checked, but really, IF the owner cared, they would specify clearly - No AC to avoid disappointed customers.... I felt cheated.

In this case, the owner has not been forthcoming at all.... The owner is in the wrong. 

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats a silly comment - its like writing “where does say the toilet flushed”....  

There is a perfectly reasonable assumption that a place is clean and liveable. 

That is a false equivalence, because a flush either works or it doesn't work , but a condo can either be clean or unclean, depending on a persons standards .

Have you seen the photos of the Condo ?

It may be of a reasonable standard of cleanliness 

15 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You mentioned the photos of the condo and I wondered where you had seen the photos 

I said that’s what agents tend to do.

They take great photo’s, but they leave out any dirty or negative areas, so it gives a false impression. That’s probably what happened to the poster, otherwise they would not have rented because there would have been ants in the pictures.

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is a false equivalence, because a flush either works or it doesn't work , but a condo can either be clean or unclean, depending on a persons standards .

Agreed on the false equivalence, but stated nonetheless to highlight the silliness of you asking 'where does it say  the owner agreed to a certain level of cleanliness ?'

Common decency dictates a ‘standard level of cleanliness’....

Have you seen the photos of the Condo ?

Of course not... So without proof of a photo you are just suggesting the Op is a liar... 

You want photos of the Ants too ?

It may be of a reasonable standard of cleanliness 

Op was lying then... is that was you are saying ?

Or, the Ops standards are excessive and unreasonable...  

The Op complained the place was dirty with ants... I’m not sure why you are defending the owner. 

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I said that’s what agents tend to do.

They take great photo’s, but they leave out any dirty or negative areas, so it gives a false impression. That’s probably what happened to the poster, otherwise they would not have rented because there would have been ants in the pictures.

Yup... they also use perspective to make the place look a lot bigger etc...

The place is clearly not what the Op expected...  who was misleading who  ??

--------

I just saw my old motorcycle for sale (4 years later) - the owner (seller) is using my old photos with the add so the bike looks 4 years newer !!!  - people are cheats. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed on the false equivalence, but stated nonetheless to highlight the silliness of you asking 'where does it say  the owner agreed to a certain level of cleanliness ?'

Common decency dictates a ‘standard level of cleanliness’....

Of course not... So without proof of a photo you are just suggesting the Op is a liar... 

You want photos of the Ants too ?

Op was lying then... is that was you are saying ?

Or, the Ops standards are excessive and unreasonable...  

The Op complained the place was dirty with ants... I’m not sure why you are defending the owner. 

This is getting rather confrontational , suggesting that I am accusing others of  lying .

I am not looking for a fight or a battle and wont get drawn into one .

IF I am going to accuse someone of lying, I would say that outright  and I don't need you to dig me out, thank-you very much

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup... they also use perspective to make the place look a lot bigger etc...

The place is clearly not what the Op expected...  who was misleading who  ??

--------

I just saw my old motorcycle for sale (4 years later) - the owner (seller) is using my old photos with the add so the bike looks 4 years newer !!!  - people are cheats. 

Well, yes. Any time somebody has a financial incentive they tend to skew things in their favor, even if they don’t realize what they are doing. I don’t think it’s even possible not to. Same with for profit businesses, they corrupt over time, nothing you can do about it.

That’s why people take vows of poverty or just volunteer without pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Well, yes. Any time somebody has a financial incentive they tend to skew things in their favor, even if they don’t realize what they are doing. I don’t think it’s even possible not to. Same with for profit businesses, they corrupt over time, nothing you can do about it.

That’s why people take vows of poverty or just volunteer without pay.

As in the title .

He claims that he is being scammed , although the reality is that he paid for something, changed his mind about wanting it  and now wants a refund and is falsely accusing the landlord of scamming him 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

As in the title .

He claims that he is being scammed , although the reality is that he paid for something, changed his mind about wanting it  and now wants a refund and is falsely accusing the landlord of scamming him 

And could very easily go to jail for defamation proving beyond all reasonable doubt that stupid really is unfixable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JimTripper said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that, I was asking him why he chose to move in if it was as sh1tty as he claimed, no one forced him to, I don't think.

They take great photo's and fool people, or even photo's of a different unit, or mis-represent it to make a sale.
Many people don't have the time to check every little detail on everything before they commit

So that makes it their problem!  If they're prepared to pay rent for a condo, unseen, then move in and live there for a few days even after seeing it, that's their problem, it is certainly not a scam.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So that makes it their problem!  If they're prepared to pay rent for a condo, unseen, then move in and live there for a few days even after seeing it, that's their problem, it is certainly not a scam.

It’s just fooling people, not really a scam. Not sure what the right word is, hustle maybe.

It reminds me of the 3 card monte game. The ball is there so it’s your fault you picked the wrong shell or the ants!

Edited by JimTripper

24 minutes ago, JimTripper said:
59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It’s just fooling people, not really a scam. Not sure what the right word is.

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but once he'd seen the place, in person, the only fooling going on would be him fooling himself by moving in.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but once he'd seen the place, in person, the only fooling going on would be him fooling himself by moving in.

I think he paid in advance before moving in. Once there he was already out the money for the month. You can always just walk, the problem was getting refunded. I think he got the deposit back but lost the first months rent.

Edited by JimTripper

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

As in the title .

He changed his mind because he was not being provided with what he paid for. 

Earlier you suggested that the place ‘may have been on a reasonable cleanliness’ - are you suggesting the Ops standards may be excessive & unrealistic ? 

(No confrontation just curious why you sure against the Op) .

I agree with you… it’s not a scam, but neither is the landlord being honest - I doubt the advert read ‘dirty, with ants, in need of a clean’…. 
… if the add did read that I’d be with you 100% that the op is entirely responsible. But, as it stands the place was not as the Op understood it to be.

The landlord has taken money for a place which was not as advertised.
They should return the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

It’s just fooling people, not really a scam. Not sure what the right word is, hustle maybe.

It reminds me of the 3 card monte game. The ball is there so it’s your fault you picked the wrong shell or the ants!

Agreed….  Not a scam…

Just a careless owner who…. 

Maybe she (the owner) doesn’t know it was dirty…  or maybe she did & didn’t care.

Regardless, the owner is responsible for the cleanliness of the place.,

The op was foolish for paying before seeing. 
The owner is selfish / greedy & wrong for not refunding. 

I might find out whether it's legal for a landlord to let a property without a signed contract. Also whether there are any rules on properties being fit for habitation. I might also consider the likelihood that the landlord declared the income to the tax authorities. Depending on what I find I might then have a conversation with them. Then again for that amount I'd probably just forget it.

On 12/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Often its to save on a few nights hotel bills .

Instead of moving to an area and spending a few days looking around at properties , they cut corners and book online without seeing the place first , saves money on a few nights at hotels

Stupid. That's why hotels exist - to provide you with short-term accommodation until you find something suitable for long-term stay.

Edited by JoseThailand

14 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I think the owner should have returned at least part of the rent money. That would be honest of her.

Really? They paid the real estate agent and the landlord never signed. The contract is with whomever signed and took the money (whoever that was ????).

On 12/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, Kalorymetr said:

I paid for clean and nice room, not bugs infested

Contract never signed

Why would I be grateful about deposit? It's normal to return it in case nothing got damaged

On notifying the conditioning of the condo the owner took remedial action.

You stayed there 3 days therefore accepted the Condo condition  at that time., If it was unsuitable you should have left immediately asking for monies returned due to condition.

• Like 1